Coco&Kitten

FOIA Request-cases stuck at FRC

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 minute ago, navaman said:

I would like to get this resolved ASAP, will suing them do that?  if so recommend me an attorney who can represent me.

Well, ASAP and immigration don't go hand in hand. Even if you sue them now, you won't have the issue solved. Suing them forces them to look at your file and get an interview at least. Doesn't guarantee a positive outcome for you.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

"AIC is willing to take your case on a pro bono basis – meaning you should not have to pay any legal fees if you decide to work with them and become a plaintiff in their lawsuit.

The lawyer in charge of organizing the case is Leslie Dellon.

If you would like to explore the possibility of suing USCIS to compel the agency to act on your case, please contact AIC.  They have set up the email mailbox below.

When you send the email, please include a short summary of your situation.  Please also indicate if you have a lawyer or not.

N-400outreach@immcouncil.org

I wish each and every one of you great success in the next steps in your naturalization process! "

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... and who will not become a public charge!

1 hour ago, Libertate said:

AIC is willing to take your case on a pro bono basis – meaning you should not have to pay any legal fees if you decide to work with them and become a plaintiff in their lawsuit.

If you would like to explore the possibility of suing USCIS to compel the agency to act on your case, please contact AIC.  They have set up the email mailbox below.

When you send the email, please include a short summary of your situation.  Please also indicate if you have a lawyer or not.

I wish each and every one of you great success in the next steps in your naturalization process! "

Is this the AIC you referenced in your post ? https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/

If so, then that amazing news and a WHOLE lot of people on various threads with a variety type of delayed apps would love the news. 

Yes, this is AIC. 
Before AIC decided to move on this, I also wanted to gather a group to file a class action suit but, coincidentally, USCIS scheduled me and my oath ceremony is next week. 

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... and who will not become a public charge!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
8 hours ago, navaman said:

I would like to get this resolved ASAP, will suing them do that?  if so recommend me an attorney who can represent me.

Have you tried contacting your Senator and explaining the situation?  Hopefully your FOIA will trigger something in the next few weeks, others have had success with that.  Suing takes a long time, and money, I would try other routes first.

3 hours ago, Coco&Kitten said:

Have you tried contacting your Senator and explaining the situation?  Hopefully your FOIA will trigger something in the next few weeks, others have had success with that.  Suing takes a long time, and money, I would try other routes first.

I humbly point out @Libertate post just indicated AIC is offering FREE legal help for those facing delays and an upcoming class action…

4 hours ago, Libertate said:

Yes, this is AIC. 
Before AIC decided to move on this, I also wanted to gather a group to file a class action suit but, coincidentally, USCIS scheduled me and my oath ceremony is next week. 

Hi, can you explain how you gather the group? please share what you did so we can follow. thank you

On 4/13/2022 at 1:29 PM, Libertate said:

"AIC is willing to take your case on a pro bono basis – meaning you should not have to pay any legal fees if you decide to work with them and become a plaintiff in their lawsuit.

On 4/13/2022 at 11:02 PM, Guido51 said:

Hi, can you explain how you gather the group? please share what you did so we can follow. thank you

I posted about this in April and May 2020 filer discussion. 

I needed 30-35 people, whose cases were stuck, to form a class. I was willing to become a lead plaintiff on it and didn't mind investing a 5 figure amount in the process. The idea was to hold USCIS accountable for the unreasonable delay in processing applications of April-May 2020 filers and request the application fee back. Because USCIS does not refund application fees the matter most probably would have gone to court (which is all i needed to create a buzz and certify the class).
I don't think that people on this forum are ripe to form a class action. This requires dedication, money and time. There were 8 members that were interested and most of them are already citizens after FOIA. 

The whole class idea is kind of pointless from legal perspective as USCIS could have easily made our case moot by granting our citizenship. But wasn't this what we were essentially fighting for? :)

Edited by Libertate

Hi Family, it's not that I want but have to disengage since my oath is next week and I have no legal footing to participate in a legal action against USCIS as part of May 2020 filers group. However, I'd like to be in the loop of any grass root action against USCIS and would like to contribute to the cause. You can absolutely use my name and my posts for that. USCIS has inflicted great suffering upon a huge amount of April-May 2020 filers. Making the bureaucracy understand that there is a person behind each "A" number is a noble cause that I will gladly support.

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

I wonder if they need the A-file to approve the ROC application? Since a lot of people applying for naturalization went through the ROC process a year earlier, I thought that their A-file was already available to the USCIS field offices? 

Filed: Other Timeline
16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I wonder if they need the A-file to approve the ROC application? Since a lot of people applying for naturalization went through the ROC process a year earlier, I thought that their A-file was already available to the USCIS field offices? 

Most people I have spoken to said they saw their A-file physically present at the desk during the interview. Some also claimed that USCIS Officer had gone through the file and asked certain specfic questions from the file.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.