Coco&Kitten

FOIA Request-cases stuck at FRC

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

I decided to start this new thread after reading several posts in which FOIA requests are helping unstuck cases that have been in limbo forever.

A FOIA request is basically asking USCIS to retrieve the A-file from the Federal Records Center at NARA (National Archives and Records Administration).  So, instead of USCIS asking for it, it is an individual requesting the file.  That is how I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

After reading some of the posts from the April and May 2020 filers I noticed quite a few cases are finally moving after a FOIA request.  This is also related to cases that are "fairly old", meaning the individual entered the US before 2010, because at that time no digital copies or on-line system existed.

Now, individuals with A-files stuck at the FRC are not only those who filed in Spring of 2020, BUT also people who filed in 2021 (including my case and others discussed in the "N400 interview decision pending tracker").  In theses cases and for some reason, interviews were scheduled but when time came for USCIS to make a decision they needed to retrieve the A-file (who knows if it was a different one) that remains at the FRC.  Again, this could be due to the age of the A-file, no digital copies available for some cases.

My point: it does not matter when you filed, if you got your interview or not.  If your file is stuck at the FRC, your case might not be moving.  Most of us have contacted Senators, representatives... with the same answer: your file is at the FRC and needs to be retrieved, they are not working at full capacity, so it is taking forever...

The purpose of this thread is to discuss if filing a FOIA is a viable option (obviously it is for some filers from 2020) and hear success stories.  Please post with your experience and tips on how this is helping your application or not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Im aware what FOIA is. But does USCIS have the right to request one?

What would be the reason to request it?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
16 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Im aware what FOIA is. But does USCIS have the right to request one?

What would be the reason to request it?

USCIS usually needs the A-file to adjudicate applications.  They request it before the interview, and in some cases after the interview.

• 2 months later...
Timeline
6 hours ago, Guido51 said:

HI, how did you get your case unstuck with FRC?

I contacted my Senator, who in turn contacted the FRC.  I also tried contacting directly at LeesSummit.reference@nara.gov

Not sure what got it unstuck, but something must have worked...

31 minutes ago, Coco&Kitten said:

I contacted my Senator, who in turn contacted the FRC.  I also tried contacting directly at LeesSummit.reference@nara.gov

Not sure what got it unstuck, but something must have worked...

thanks. what excatly you said to LeesSummit.reference@nara.gov? can you share? did you include your A NUMBER and receipt numbers? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Guido51 said:

thanks. what excatly you said to LeesSummit.reference@nara.gov? can you share? did you include your A NUMBER and receipt numbers? 

It was a 2 line e-mail.  I told them USCIS needed my A-file and wondered if they had transferred it, gave them my number, no receipt number.  But I never got an answer, so not sure if that is what helped or not.  In the meantime the Senator's office was also doing their inquiries.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, Coco&Kitten said:

I decided to start this new thread after reading several posts in which FOIA requests are helping unstuck cases that have been in limbo forever.

A FOIA request is basically asking USCIS to retrieve the A-file from the Federal Records Center at NARA (National Archives and Records Administration).  So, instead of USCIS asking for it, it is an individual requesting the file.  That is how I understand it, correct me if I am wrong.

After reading some of the posts from the April and May 2020 filers I noticed quite a few cases are finally moving after a FOIA request.  This is also related to cases that are "fairly old", meaning the individual entered the US before 2010, because at that time no digital copies or on-line system existed.

Now, individuals with A-files stuck at the FRC are not only those who filed in Spring of 2020, BUT also people who filed in 2021 (including my case and others discussed in the "N400 interview decision pending tracker").  In theses cases and for some reason, interviews were scheduled but when time came for USCIS to make a decision they needed to retrieve the A-file (who knows if it was a different one) that remains at the FRC.  Again, this could be due to the age of the A-file, no digital copies available for some cases.

My point: it does not matter when you filed, if you got your interview or not.  If your file is stuck at the FRC, your case might not be moving.  Most of us have contacted Senators, representatives... with the same answer: your file is at the FRC and needs to be retrieved, they are not working at full capacity, so it is taking forever...

The purpose of this thread is to discuss if filing a FOIA is a viable option (obviously it is for some filers from 2020) and hear success stories.  Please post with your experience and tips on how this is helping your application or not.

Hi,

I wonder if I send in my  FOIA with all my files since I immigrated here can help speed up decision.

i just received it from my former lawyer though some info is redacted. Can they access it if 

Attach it on my online account or print it out and mail out?

If you received your A-file there is no need to send it back to USCIS because they already have it. 

When you request your A-file it comes to you through USCIS (USCIS forwards your request to NARA, receives your A-file, sends it back to you). If you upload it to your online account then your submission (in this case the entire A-file) will be added to your A-file because anything that you submit gets attached to it. Imagine the kind of mess this might create.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free... and who will not become a public charge!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Not just 2020 is stuck… 2019 filer here and just got word from My Senate that my a-file is needed to continue work on my case. Did ya’ll have your senate office reach out to frc? And is it always leesummit?

ROC

Window opened:                 15 OCT 2019

Sent:                                      16 OCT 2019

Arrived at Dalles Lockbox: 21 OCT 2019

Timeline
6 hours ago, smallgirlbigworld said:

Not just 2020 is stuck… 2019 filer here and just got word from My Senate that my a-file is needed to continue work on my case. Did ya’ll have your senate office reach out to frc? And is it always leesummit?

I contacted my Senator, and they must have contacted the FRC, not sure which one, but I think Leesummit is the one with all the A-files and caves.

You can also contact FRC through their email addresses on the webpage.  I read someone did that and got a response.

• 3 weeks later...

I fall into the bucket of N400 applications that were placed between March - May 2020 that have still not been approved or an interview scheduled, basically no updates since confirmation that they will re use my previous biometrics. My wife applied 7 months after me and became a citizen over 8 months ago. File stuck at National Records Center.

I am a US federal contractor and my waiver to clearance expires next week, basically I will lose my main source of income, I need to understand how I can expedite this,  I did request a USCIS FOIA request for A record 15 days ago having read somewhere that this helps, how long before this moves or I get results?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 minute ago, navaman said:

how I can expedite this

Should have done this way earlier!

Sue them.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.