CanadianBlackDog

Reverting back to my Maiden name on the I-90

6 posts in this topic

Good morning everyone!

It's time for me to renew my green card and in that 10 years, I have been divorced. I am a Canadian citizen and my maiden name is on my birth certificate. My green card, passport, SSN, and all other things are in my old married name. I am desperate to get that name off of all my stuff. 

My thought was, when it comes time to renew my greencard, I'd start there. When I went into the online portal, it asked me my name and said that whatever name was on my BC would be the name on my GC. However, I foresee issues as my GC has my married name on it. 

I am trying to connect with folks how have done this and would like to know their process, what to do. I had planned on changing my name on my GC and then doing passport, SSN, and everything else. I do have my divorce decree. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Word of advice? The marriage was bad enough but the thing I regret the MOST is changing my name. I would never recommend anyone do that... 

Thank you in advance, 

:D

PS if this is not in the right spot, please feel free to move it... it's been YEARS since I was on this site!

Edited by CanadianBlackDog
adding a note.

When you Divorced, did you state that you are changing back your name?  That was asked of here in Texas.  Check the process where you had your divorce.  Usually there is an official document so you can change back your name.

CHANGE OF NAME IN TEXAS

In a divorce, the name change should be incorporated in the Final Decree of Divorce. In almost all other circumstances, a request for change of name must be made in a petition filed with the court and the court must sign an order granting the person a new name.

Edited by hunny&me

~ Moved from IR1/CR1 Forum to General immigration discussion where I90 form is discussed ~

~ Duplicate thread removed. Please refrain from starting multiple threads on same/related topics. Thank you ~

Edited by powerpuff

Hi there hunny... 

Yep, i Just found my divorce document and it indeed says, that I will be reverting back to my maiden name. 

So the confusing part to me is that when I go to the ISCIS I-90 online portal, the first thing they say is Your current legal name is the name on your birth certificate, unless it changed after birth by a legal action such as marriage or court order. Do not provide any nicknames here. This is the name we will print on your card.

My canadian BC has my. maiden name. THen the next thing they ask is has your name legally changed since you received your GC. I guess yes it has. So do now say YES, it then asks me to enter my name as it appears on my GC. This is my married name. BUT there is no place to include the fact that I am reverting to my maiden name. This is the part that I am confused by and am unclear as to what the steps are to have it changed from married to maiden. 

Sorry if I am making this confusing. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 1/13/2022 at 11:40 AM, CanadianBlackDog said:

Hi there hunny... 

Yep, i Just found my divorce document and it indeed says, that I will be reverting back to my maiden name. 

So the confusing part to me is that when I go to the ISCIS I-90 online portal, the first thing they say is Your current legal name is the name on your birth certificate, unless it changed after birth by a legal action such as marriage or court order. Do not provide any nicknames here. This is the name we will print on your card.

My canadian BC has my. maiden name. THen the next thing they ask is has your name legally changed since you received your GC. I guess yes it has. So do now say YES, it then asks me to enter my name as it appears on my GC. This is my married name. BUT there is no place to include the fact that I am reverting to my maiden name. This is the part that I am confused by and am unclear as to what the steps are to have it changed from married to maiden. 

Sorry if I am making this confusing. 

Your current legal name is the name after the latest name change, which happened on your divorce. So you can just file with your maiden name and attach the divorce decree to prove the name change. Enter your married name as other names used. You don't have to wait for the new GC to get a new SSC too, since the divorce is dated after the issuance of the GC, they must issue you a new card with your new/old name.

Edited by Ayrton

1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

Your current legal name is the name after the latest name change, which happened on your divorce. So you can just file with your maiden name and attach the divorce decree to prove the name change. Enter your married name as other names used. You don't have to wait for the new GC to get a new SSC too, since the divorce is dated after the issuance of the GC, they must issue you a new card with your new/old name.

Thank you so much, this is great information! I appreciate your taking the time! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.