IvoryandRebecca

From GCSE's to the US education system

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hopefully someone who may have been in a similar situation may be able to help.

My son and I will be moving to the USA in Feb 2022.  My son is 16 and has completed and passed his GCSE's and is currently attending college.  

My question is, will the US education system recognise GCSE's and give my son credits toward a high school diploma?  Also what grade is my son likely to go into?

Any help is welcomed.  We have contacted the school department and they are unclear.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, IvoryandRebecca said:

My question is, will the US education system recognise GCSE's and give my son credits toward a high school diploma?  Also what grade is my son likely to go into?

There isn’t a “US education system” as such. Education is a State thing so you want to know about the Texas education system. Your best bet to get answers is find out what school district you new home is in and call the school district administration office. Ask to speak to the supervisor of guidance counselors. I am surprised the guidance counselor at the specific high school he will attend wasn’t helpful. They are required by Texas law to educate him and part of that is placing him in the classes her needs and giving him credit for what he has studied. Have a list of every course he has taken since U.K. year 10. They will not comprehend the term GCSEs so talk courses. 

Another term for you to understand is “credits” When a graduation requirement says “2 credits in science” it means 2 full years of studying a science like biology, chemistry, physics. Four credits in “English” refers to 4 years of studying literature, writing, grammar.  If you can email the counselor a comprehensive transcript of what courses he has studied including an explanation of what the course included, they should be able to match up what can count and be ready for him when he arrives. There is flexibility too like the requirement for 2 years of a foreign language can be met by 2 years of computer/IT courses. 

You do need Texas specific information, not the experience of what a kid In Wyoming or Ohio did.  The guidance counselor at his school assigned to his age group will be best.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Awkward age but sounds he is past High School.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Awkward age but sounds he is past High School.

I would disagree if he lives in Texas. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Another term for you to understand is “credits” When a graduation requirement says “2 credits in science” it means 2 full years of studying a science like biology, chemistry, physics. Four credits in “English” refers to 4 years of studying lite

Thanks for all of your responses, we will be living in Oklahoma.  We have reached out again to the guidance counsellor and hopefully we should be able to transition him.  Fingers crossed. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, IvoryandRebecca said:

Thanks for all of your responses, we will be living in Oklahoma.  We have reached out again to the guidance counsellor and hopefully we should be able to transition him.  Fingers crossed. 

Ah. I saw Dallas as your local office and thought you were in TX. Another term that’s different is in the US “college’ and “university” are basically the same thing. It’s not like what you do instead of sixth form or further education. They may think he is in uni if you say he’s in college.

Good luck getting settled.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.