NatureEye

Given Name Used as the Last Name - K1 Visa - Please Help

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Dear all,

We have used my fiancée's grandfather's name (listed on her passport) as the last name when filed form I-129F and when submitting our DS-160. We used her name as the first name, her father's name as the middle name and her grandfather's name as the last name. We now have an interview at the US embassy in Ankara in Jan 2022 and I cannot tell how worried we are as we have been waiting for over two years for our case to reach this far. Does anyone have any idea how will this affect our case please? 

31 minutes ago, NatureEye said:

Dear all,

We have used my fiancée's grandfather's name (listed on her passport) as the last name when filed form I-129F and when submitting our DS-160. We used her name as the first name, her father's name as the middle name and her grandfather's name as the last name. We now have an interview at the US embassy in Ankara in Jan 2022 and I cannot tell how worried we are as we have been waiting for over two years for our case to reach this far. Does anyone have any idea how will this affect our case please? 

It could delay all the administrative processing/background checks if the names used to not match the names on her passport and other legal documents.

Being from Iraq, the AP might be lengthy regardless.

Timeline
Just now, Jorgedig said:

It could delay all the administrative processing/background checks if the names used to not match the names on her passport and other legal documents.

Being from Iraq, the AP might be lengthy regardless.

Thank you very much for responding. All of her original (legal) documents and IDs do show all 4 names (first, middle, grandfather's and the surname). We just pray she won't get denied the visa. 

How long does it roughly take after the interview to hear back from the embassy should the case's status change to AP? Thank you again. 

Just now, NatureEye said:

We just pray she won't get denied the visa. 

Why would she be denied the visa?

AP has no expected length of time.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

Why would she be denied the visa?

AP has no expected length of time.

We are afraid she may get denied the visa because we simply used her grandfather's name as the family name throughout this whole process. I just keep thinking about this day and night and I feel like losing my mind. 

1 minute ago, NatureEye said:

We are afraid she may get denied the visa because we simply used her grandfather's name as the family name throughout this whole process. I just keep thinking about this day and night and I feel like losing my mind. 

Well......as long as all of her documents match, there should be no problem.    Are you saying that it does not match her birth certificate?

Timeline

Well......as long as all of her documents match, there should be no problem.    Are you saying that it does not match her birth certificate?

All of her documents and IDs show all 4 names; and the surname is the same on the passport, birth certificate, national ID card, etc.; however, that is not the name we used as the last name. We used her grandfather's name which is also stated on the passport, birth certificate, national ID card, etc. 

Just now, NatureEye said:

All of her documents and IDs show all 4 names; and the surname is the same on the passport, birth certificate, national ID card, etc.; however, that is not the name we used as the last name. We used her grandfather's name which is also stated on the passport, birth certificate, national ID card, etc. 

I see.  Was there a reason for that?  Is that typically done for Iraqi names?  To me, it does not sound like a huge deal, definitely not something to lose sleep over.

Like I said, it could complicate the background checks, but definitely it is not a reason for a denial.

Timeline

I see.  Was there a reason for that?  Is that typically done for Iraqi names?  To me, it does not sound like a huge deal, definitely not something to lose sleep over.

Like I said, it could complicate the background checks, but definitely it is not a reason for a denial.

Usually in Iraq when asked about your name, you state your first, father's and grandfather's name. At the beginning and as we were preparing for the case, all forms asked for the family name. Little did I know that the family name is the same as the last name; otherwise, I would have not hesitated and just entered the surname in the family name field on all forms. It's too late now and hope and pray this won't be a reason for denying her the visa. We were hesitant as to should we start a new DS-160 or not, but my fiancée said she will explain why have we chosen her grandfather's name as the last name to the CO during the interview. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me here. 

1 hour ago, NatureEye said:

Dear all,

You should be fine as you wrote her full name when completing forms. You just wrote her father's name as her middle name and not as her family name. If the name you wrote down matches the name on the passport (and you didn't omit any of her names) it should be okay. 

When she goes to the interview she should tell them her the middle name is actually part of her family name and she does not have a middle name. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

You should be fine as you wrote her full name when completing forms. You just wrote her father's name as her middle name and not as her family name. If the name you wrote down matches the name on the passport (and you didn't omit any of her names) it should be okay. 

When she goes to the interview she should tell them her the middle name is actually part of her family name and she does not have a middle name. 

I didn’t use the surname on her passport at all when completing all forms. Instead I used her grandfather’s name which is listed on her passport under “Given Names” as the last name (family name/surname). 

Under “Given Names”, her name as follows XYZ (X is her name, Y is her father’s name, and Z is her grandfather’s name). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Seems like the names on the passport match the names on birth certificate.  At the interview point out the errors on the I-129F and DS-160 and correct the name on the application. 

If the name on the visa doesn’t match that on the passport, then expect problems.  

On the I-485 make sure to indicate the other names used in the past.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Seems like the names on the passport match the names on birth certificate.  At the interview point out the errors on the I-129F and DS-160 and correct the name on the application. 

If the name on the visa doesn’t match that on the passport, then expect problems.  

On the I-485 make sure to indicate the other names used in the past.  

Thank you Mike. We won’t submit a new DS-160 for now and wait until the interview to point out the errors made. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.