mamba69

Beware of the automatic error caused by the electronic system on form I-130. (IR1/CR1)

28 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I will try to explain the error that the electronic system has caused after I submitted the I-130 form. I submitted a form for my spouse and checked all the information accordingly before submitting the whole application. However, after I submitted and checked the form I-130 I noticed an error. When I listed my current spouse and went on the next page where it asks you to fill in information about your prior spouses, the date of divorce from my prior spouse was duplicated to my current spouse. To be more clear, On I-130, Page 3 of 18, Spouse 1, it is required to list your current spouse and then your prior spouses. ''(Provide information on your current spouse (if currently married) first and then list all your prior spouses (if any).'' However, the system duplicated the date of divorce from the prior spouse from Spouse 2, section 21. and put it on the Current spouse under Spouse 1, Section 21. I believe this could possibly lead to a huge problem if left unnoticed and unfixed because it implies that you are divorced from your current spouse. Therefore, I have submitted a typo error and described the issue, and hopefully, they will fix it soon. If you have been previously divorced and now filling through an online system, it might have happened to you too, and I would advise rechecking the form I-130. Now I understand why some lawyers advise to always file through the mail, but quick receipt notice was too tempting. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced such an error.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Lesson Learned: Always print the completed I-130 before submitting electronically. You'll want to refer to the information when completing other forms. At least I couldn't save mine.  

On 11/3/2021 at 11:57 AM, mamba69 said:

If you have been previously divorced and now filling through an online system, it might have happened to you too, and I would advise rechecking the form I-130.

Petitioners may actually preview the I-130 case snapshot BEFORE clicking submit.  The preview is the generated draft that displays the entered information into a PDF version of the I-130 form.  For readers who have yet to submit their I-130 online, do preview the case snapshot PDF and make any necessary corrections by navigating to the appropriate tab.  Then preview the snapshot again.  Click submit only when you are satisfied with everything on the snapshot preview.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

This and other issues, is why I still recommend filing by mail. 

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

14 hours ago, pushbrk said:

This and other issues, is why I still recommend filing by mail. 

Filing online does need a bit more computer savvy and even more attention to detail.  For folks who don't have the patience or disposition for it, or simply don't want the hassle of having to chop up their evidence files into 6MB chunks, paper-filing is definitely the more suitable option.

By the way, for those petitioners who were previously divorced and who have yet to submit the I-130 online, the error described in the first post is NOT an automatic system error.  My petitioner was previously divorced and our I-130 filed online properly displays our "Date Marriage Ended" as blank.  Please make sure to preview the I-130 case snapshot BEFORE clicking Submit, like I said above.

18 hours ago, Chancy said:

By the way, for those petitioners who were previously divorced and who have yet to submit the I-130 online, the error described in the first post is NOT an automatic system error.  My petitioner was previously divorced and our I-130 filed online properly displays our "Date Marriage Ended" as blank.  Please make sure to preview the I-130 case snapshot BEFORE clicking Submit, like I said above.

Not to appear recalcitrant,  but I'm not sure I agree with your position on this, since it would be a very, very low odds coincidence that it happened to at least 2 filers in exactly the same blank at almost the same point in time.  Just because it didn't happen to you when you filed, and I'm going to assume that was a while ago given you're a diamond member, doesn't mean that the error isn't occurring now.  I sent a message to USCIS requesting that item be changed, but my gut tells me I didn't populate that blank. 

10 minutes ago, Dave Knapp said:

Just because it didn't happen to you when you filed, and I'm going to assume that was a while ago given you're a diamond member, doesn't mean that the error isn't occurring now.  I sent a message to USCIS requesting that item be changed, but my gut tells me I didn't populate that blank.

We filed in 2020.  Yes, it's possible that there's a system issue that just started after we filed.  Still, the case preview feature that I keep harping on about, continues to be available to online filers.  Even if they're not able to clear out that date field for some reason, if they catch that unintentional error before submission, they can put a note in their petition to clarify that their current marriage has not actually ended.  The Additional Information section is exactly for such clarifications.

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

We filed in 2020.  Yes, it's possible that there's a system issue that just started after we filed.  Still, the case preview feature that I keep harping on about, continues to be available to online filers.  Even if they're not able to clear out that date field for some reason, if they catch that unintentional error before submission, they can put a note in their petition to clarify that their current marriage has not actually ended.  The Additional Information section is exactly for such clarifications.

Agreed.  That's a barn door I wish I had closed prior to the horse's departure. 😉

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I noticed the same error on mine too. But I'm sure USCIS already knows this is a bug on their own site. I did send a private message to am officer using the myuscis and letting them know of the typo and the fact it's happening to so many cos it's supposed to be my wife's ex name there not mine and I'm sure they already know this. 

And we won't get a denial for that, worst case senerio, they'd send an RFE to correct whatever information on the form. 

56 minutes ago, PrinceChisom said:

I noticed the same error on mine too. But I'm sure USCIS already knows this is a bug on their own site. I did send a private message to am officer using the myuscis and letting them know of the typo and the fact it's happening to so many cos it's supposed to be my wife's ex name there not mine and I'm sure they already know this. 

And we won't get a denial for that, worst case senerio, they'd send an RFE to correct whatever information on the form. 

Glad to hear, hopefully they are aware of it, I also send a typo error through USCIS e request and described an error and includes correct fix. It said they will get back to me by November 24 so let’s see if they fix it. Or if no one gets back to me I will include the note on additional document list, this way officer will be aware. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also, on my service request ID, it ends with TSC. does it mean my case was transferred again?

First it was Nebraska on the online NOA1 receipt, I chatted Emma and uscis agent told me it was in California, now my service ID for the typographical error ends with TSC. its quite confusing 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.