8 posts in this topic

My US citizen daughter over 21 filed petition for me in February of 21.    Onlinne processing time says call them if filed before 

June 10, 2020. 

I-130 is filed online is still being processed and looks like it might take a while.

However AOS package was files mailed -in( paper forms) for concurrent filing.     

Just received initial interview notice for I-485 already. 

A. I thought this might be at or around after I-130 is approved.  That doesn't seem to the case.   Does concurrent mean I-485 interview etc. can happen for I-485 prior to I-130 approval?   Is this normal?

B.  On initial interview notice for last week of Nov 21.    it's not clear who's required and can be with me at the interview.  Is sponsor/co-sponsor (happens to be my daughter and husband) required to be there?    Is petitioner (my daughter) required to be there?     

BTW,   my daughter started medical school in Florida (we're in  Maryland) and is a full time student there - it is not practical for her to come to Baltimore Field Office due to her studies and exams etc.   Can I take her birth certs/passport etc. with me there?

C.   Sponsor is a  Permanent resident and has his green card misplaced and is ordering a new copy.   Might take a while to get a new copy from USICS.   He happens to have a photocopy of the green card.   Can we take this on the interview and say the replacement copy has/is being ordered? 

D.   Seems I have only a month left to prepare Medical Exam info to take with me.    I hope that is sufficient time.    If not, would USICS allow rescheduling if preparing medical exam takes longer?

InitialInrviewNotice.thumb.JPG.2930b5745cfc75ccd19e4b0048d1055d.JPG

*** Removed related thread. Please post your related questions in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

12 hours ago, Devguru 2026 said:

Hi, I-130 is not approved yet;  it's "being processed".   However, already received initial interview notice for I-485 (due to concurrent filing for mother (me) - petitioned by us citizen over 21).    Who is required to be present on the initial interview meeting?      

Since I filed the paper-work myself; can I only go there myself only?     

Must my daughter and/or joint sponsor (my husband), be present there as well?

Enlighten please ..

I’m admittedly not an expert in AOS but I don’t see how you can have a i485 interview if the i130 hasn’t been approved yet. You can’t adjust status without a visa actually being available, and afaik the petition needs to be approved for that. Hopefully someone else can chime in if I’m wrong (or suggest what to do if I’m not).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/31/2021 at 2:42 PM, SusieQQQ said:

I’m admittedly not an expert in AOS but I don’t see how you can have a i485 interview if the i130 hasn’t been approved yet. You can’t adjust status without a visa actually being available, and afaik the petition needs to be approved for that. Hopefully someone else can chime in if I’m wrong (or suggest what to do if I’m not).

I know someone here who has an interview this month while the i-130 is still under review. You can search VJ. Also below link from USCIS talks about it:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-7-part-a-chapter-6

In many cases, an underlying petition is used to form the basis for adjustment. Petitions are often already adjudicated and approved by the time the officer adjudicates the adjustment application.[1] If the underlying immigrant visa petition is still pending, the officer is responsible for determining if the beneficiary of the petition is eligible for the classification sought and adjudicating the petition prior to considering the adjustment application. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 2:42 PM, SusieQQQ said:

and afaik the petition needs to be approved for that. Hopefully someone else can chime in if I’m wrong (or suggest what to do if I’m not).

On 10/24/2021 at 7:45 AM, Devguru 2026 said:

Does concurrent mean I-485 interview etc. can happen for I-485 prior to I-130 approval?   Is this normal?

The I-130 is either approved simultaneously with I-485 (i.e. during I-485 interview appointment) or before the I-485 interview/adjudication. It's usually the former.

Edited by HRQX

My case is not for tourist, work realted.   It's a case of petition for an immediate family of us citizen.    I believe topic belongs to this forum.   My duaghter petitioned for me.    I understand adjusdication for I-130 can be done based on the same interview for I-485 and usually done this way for concurrent filings.       Now, do I need to take my daughter (petitioner), and joint sponsor (happens to be my husband) to the interview?   Or can I just go by myself.   the letter USCIS seems to imply that I need to take evidences from my sponsors, daughter and kids birth certs, GC card from husband etc. with me - even though I have already submitted these with AOS package.   Must they also go with me?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.