colin&tina

Will I need an extra police check if I spent a lot of time in a second country, but with no special visa or residence?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

I'm assuming I wouldn't have to, but my K1 visa interview should be happening in the next couple of months and I would like to make sure.

My fiance has been living with me for the last year and a half. Since we're not married, we couldn't file for his residence in my country (Serbia), so we've been country-hopping the entire time. We get 90 days within a 180 day period in most countries.

We really liked Albania and we've been spending roughly 90 days in, 90 days out, while traveling inbetween. This is our third 3-month long stay here since last September. Neither of us acquired any sort of long stay visa or residency during this time, and we spend less than 6 months here in a calendar year, so I would assume I don't need an extra police check from Albania, which would be impossible to get in my opinion since they don't do address registration here.

Does anybody have experience with this?

Thanks!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Basically what does the passport indicate? 

entering and exiting the country

if passport is not marked as u state and shows just the entrance ,  i would say the report is needed 

i ask this as sometimes i got stamps for leaving countries and othertimes not

immigration has easy access to check passports

do u have any proofs of travel to and from?

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
57 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Basically what does the passport indicate? 

entering and exiting the country

if passport is not marked as u state and shows just the entrance ,  i would say the report is needed 

i ask this as sometimes i got stamps for leaving countries and othertimes not

immigration has easy access to check passports

do u have any proofs of travel to and from?

So I'm not sure how much this complicates things for me, but Albania does not stamp anyone's passport at all as of recently, neither for entrance nor departure. Basically, my passport doesn't indicate that I've ever even been here. Only our proof of relationship puts us here for half the time so we don't want to leave any trips to Albania out of the DS-160. 

I think Packet 3 states that you need a police check for every country in which you resided since the age of 16. I've technically only been here as a tourist and never overstayed my 90 day visa free entry or applied for any extension or residence. I guess we'll find out when they put us in administrative processing because of a missing document lol.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, colin&tina said:

So I'm not sure how much this complicates things for me, but Albania does not stamp anyone's passport at all as of recently, neither for entrance nor departure. Basically, my passport doesn't indicate that I've ever even been here. Only our proof of relationship puts us here for half the time so we don't want to leave any trips to Albania out of the DS-160. 

I think Packet 3 states that you need a police check for every country in which you resided since the age of 16. I've technically only been here as a tourist and never overstayed my 90 day visa free entry or applied for any extension or residence. I guess we'll find out when they put us in administrative processing because of a missing document lol.

i would say you're ok but take that as my opinion 

you have to list where u have lived the last 6 months which can be different than passport address

i would again ask if you have any proofs of where you stayed and/ or travel there like airline boarding passes/   keep them

Timeline
On 10/23/2021 at 3:34 PM, JeanneAdil said:

i would say you're ok but take that as my opinion 

you have to list where u have lived the last 6 months which can be different than passport address

i would again ask if you have any proofs of where you stayed and/ or travel there like airline boarding passes/   keep them

Thank you for your opinion, I think I should be fine!

My official address hasn't changed at all since I was 7, and I have been traveling with my fiance for the last year and a half. Went to Albania 3 times and stayed for 3 months visa free, so no residency. Shouldn't have to provide an extra police certificate, but we'll see.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.