Joe Kano

Duterte announces his retirement from Politics

32 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

It would be nice to live in a nation so vastly wealthy and where crime is so scarce that resources are available to provide a fair trial for each accused.  Even in wealthy western nations the system would collapse immediately if defendants stopped taking plea deals.  

If there isn't enough resources to give everyone a trial they could at least give trials to people facing the death penalty. I get it. It's a different country they make their own rules and it should be up to their citizens if they want to change the rules. That doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion about those rules. Another thing. When my wife first came to the US she fully supported how Duterte did things. Then she saw what it was like to live in a free society where you get your day in court (still far from perfect) and she changed her opinion on the way things are done in the Philippines.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
15 minutes ago, jg121783 said:

If there isn't enough resources to give everyone a trial they could at least give trials to people facing the death penalty. I get it. It's a different country they make their own rules and it should be up to their citizens if they want to change the rules. That doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion about those rules. Another thing. When my wife first came to the US she fully supported how Duterte did things. Then she saw what it was like to live in a free society where you get your day in court (still far from perfect) and she changed her opinion on the way things are done in the Philippines.

Tell her it costs over $200,000 to give a drug dealer a trial and she might rethink things again.  🤣  Trial by jury is a precious thing but it's only practical in places with the culture and economy to support it.  Try it in a place where the culture breeds criminality and you end up with Chicago.

I've heard in the Philippines when you call the police you have to pay them 1000 pesos to come.  I can't help thinking that would be a great idea here, people would have to think "is it really worth $20 to make this call and if not maybe I shouldn't be wasting the police's time".  Would cut down on the nosey guy in the neighborhood calling in noise complaints on everyone around him for playing music at 4 in the afternoon.

8 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

Tell her it costs over $200,000 to give a drug dealer a trial and she might rethink things again. 

Like I said our system is far from perfect. There is no reason it should cost nearly that much for a trial.

9 minutes ago, Puppythecat said:

I can't help thinking that would be a great idea here, people would have to think "is it really worth $20 to make this call and if not maybe I shouldn't be wasting the police's time".  Would cut down on the nosey guy in the neighborhood calling in noise complaints on everyone around him for playing music at 4 in the afternoon.

Can't say I disagree with that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
8 hours ago, jg121783 said:

Except that they might summarily execute the wrong person. That is why I believe in due process and innocent until proven guilty. 

Law and order means you get a fair trial where you are found guilty of the crime you are accused of before you are punished instead of being taken out back and having a bullet put in your head based merely on an accusation.

I will never side with them either. That doesn't mean I have to side with people who support summary punishment.

When I was in the Philippines I gave some money to some young children living on the streets. My wife got upset and told me not to do that. I asked why and she said because they will buy drugs with the money. The next time we bought them some food instead.

I respect your point of view.

What I posted is my 2 cents... it's what I experienced and NOT what I heard or saw on TV.  

18 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Do you think there was a DDS?

Maybe there is.  Maybe there isn't.  

So if you're talking about DDS (Davao Death Squad), that means before he became the president.  In my experience, of course, when I was still in Davao more than 10 years ago, I don't think there is.  If there is actually DDS, then I don't have any proof.  

Same thing with the EJK and the ridiculous numbers of deaths being reported.  

Edited by MeG@Am

8 hours ago, MeG@Am said:

I respect your point of view.

What I posted is my 2 cents... it's what I experienced and NOT what I heard or saw on TV.  

Maybe there is.  Maybe there isn't.  

So if you're talking about DDS (Davao Death Squad), that means before he became the president.  In my experience, of course, when I was still in Davao more than 10 years ago, I don't think there is.  If there is actually DDS, then I don't have any proof.  

Same thing with the EJK and the ridiculous numbers of deaths being reported.  

I befriended a guy in my first trip to Philippines by chance and he was hanging around the compound I stayed at my first trip, he was dating someone living there.  He had a car and offered to drive us around Davao and that was cool and that was back in 2007, after time and many trips back we got to be good friends.  He recently retired from PNP in Davao and had like 600 guys working under him.  He got like 3 million pension broken up into 3 payment over 3 years plus his monthly pension.  He was somehow part of the DDS on the upper end, and it was a real thing in Davao.  As far as the EJK I have no clue, but I heard alot of drug dealers were killed back when Duterte took office.

1 hour ago, RO_AH said:

Duterte did things that needed to be done and helped a lot in the very beginning. After that he really went downhill and the handling of the Pandemic was the last straw for me.

I also do not understand the love affair with the Marcos's That's like falling in love with someone that raped you IMO.

dang.jpg

On 10/6/2021 at 4:35 PM, jg121783 said:

Except that they might summarily execute the wrong person. That is why I believe in due process and innocent until proven guilty. 

Law and order means you get a fair trial where you are found guilty of the crime you are accused of before you are punished instead of being taken out back and having a bullet put in your head based merely on an accusation.

I will never side with them either. That doesn't mean I have to side with people who support summary punishment.

When I was in the Philippines I gave some money to some young children living on the streets. My wife got upset and told me not to do that. I asked why and she said because they will buy drugs with the money. The next time we bought them some food instead.

Maybe but highly unlikely. I remember hearing from the PNP in Davao that they would give someone notice before they officially went to kill them. The person could either move or stop messing with drugs. 

A fair trial I'm the Philippines on even the simplest of charges can take a decade. 

I currently live in the Philippines with my Fiancee. I was lucky enough to be in the country after March 2020 so was able to stay with her this entire time. Let me just give you guys a heads up about the political situation in the Philippines..there is a better than average chance that the Marcos family will be back in power next year. 

If that wasn't a grim enough future prognostication of the Philippines let me tell you the economy is in total shambles. I live near a fairly large commercial center and i've seen half the businesses close. The actual legit economics experts are warning of 20+ years for the Philippines to recover from covid because the damage to all sectors of the economy has been so dire. You can see this reflected in the country's stock index even. The government has grossly mismanaged not just the covid situation but the economy here as well.

There is also NO sign that tourism will open up in any sensible way anytime soon. You need an insane level of requirements just to travel from metro manila to Boracay. Things are not looking good here and in my opinion will only get worse.

Edited by D&D&Dk1

7 hours ago, D&D&Dk1 said:

I currently live in the Philippines with my Fiancee. I was lucky enough to be in the country after March 2020 so was able to stay with her this entire time. Let me just give you guys a heads up about the political situation in the Philippines..there is a better than average chance that the Marcos family will be back in power next year. 

If that wasn't a grim enough future prognostication of the Philippines let me tell you the economy is in total shambles. I live near a fairly large commercial center and i've seen half the businesses close. The actual legit economics experts are warning of 20+ years for the Philippines to recover from covid because the damage to all sectors of the economy has been so dire. You can see this reflected in the country's stock index even. The government has grossly mismanaged not just the covid situation but the economy here as well.

There is also NO sign that tourism will open up in any sensible way anytime soon. You need an insane level of requirements just to travel from metro manila to Boracay. Things are not looking good here and in my opinion will only get worse.

Thank You for your point of view, it's nice and informative to read your accounts of what going on in the Philippines.

7 hours ago, D&D&Dk1 said:

My relative moved to Davao City area 3 years ago, and had been going to Philippines for 20 plus year, He tells me almost the exact same thing you are saying about the economy in the Philippines.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
19 hours ago, D&D&Dk1 said:

My girlfriend is actually traveling from Manila to Boracay this weekend with some friends.  When I talked to her last night they all still had their fingers crossed hoping that all of their PCR tests come back negative.  Shame I'm stuck over here, the deals on resorts there right now are incredible.

7 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

My girlfriend is actually traveling from Manila to Boracay this weekend with some friends.  When I talked to her last night they all still had their fingers crossed hoping that all of their PCR tests come back negative.  Shame I'm stuck over here, the deals on resorts there right now are incredible.

Do you still have to have a hotel prebooked before they let you go to Boracay?

14 hours ago, Puppythecat said:

Kind of sucks that your ability to travel or do other things hinges on the results of a faulty test.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.