zeveljones

How much time in advance before the test are you given the test date?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Interview was scheduled about a month after the date of the notice. I believe there is plenty of time to study, even if you have a fast timeline. My husband had a similar timeline to the above poster. Interview date was Sept. 3rd(interview notice date was Aug 2nd), and oath ceremony was Sept. 18th. He filed June 19th and had bio reuse. Our field office is in another state 3 and a half hours away, Montgomery, Alabama.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Generally the interview is 4-6 weeks out from the notice date. Obviously it depends on how you are as a person in regards to how much time you need to study. I'd say most people don't need more than 1 week if they study for an hour a day. Listen to the youtube videos as they're as close to the real test as you can get. At the real test you won't read the questions, you also don't get several answers to choose from. So for me personally both the study book you get at the biometrics and the USCIS study app go away, they did not work for me in the slightest unless I had someone else asking me the questions and not giving me "multiple choice" answers.

The youtube videos are great as you don't need to bother anybody else, nobody needs to read the questions for you as the person in the video already does just that. Listen while you work, you can easily get several hours of studying in while working (if you have a job that allows it). Doing this I knew all the answers after 1 day.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Thanks all. Okay, 4 weeks notice seems to be the minimum. That should be fine.

Thanks!

AOS from F-1 to Permanent Resident

01/12/2007 Married

08/25/2011 Arrived to the US (petitioner with F-1 status)

day 0 - 06/23/2012 - filed I-130 concurrently with AOS package, mailed to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

day 02 - 06/25/2012 - received USPS delivery confirmation

day 06 - 06/29/2012 - received USCIS acceptance confirmation via email

day 09 - 07/02/2012 - checks for fees cashed

day 16 - 07/09/2012 - received NOA 1 and biometrics appointment

day 26 - 07/19/2012 - biometrics done on appointment day

day 79 - 09/10/2012 - EAD card received via USPS

day 90 - 09/21/2012 - received I-797C, interview scheduled for 10/29

day 128 - 10/29/2012 - interview postponed due to hurricane sandy

day 139 - 11/09/2012 - received notice of rescheduled interview for 11/26

day 156 - 11/26/2012 - attended interview. I-130 and I-485 approved. greencard stamp in passport

day 159 - 11/29/2012 - received NOA for I-130 approval + NOA for I-485 approval via USPS

Naturalization
day 0 - 05/28/2021 - sent form N-400 + payment

day 1 - received confirmation

day 32 - received notice for biometrics scheduled, but had to postpone due to being overseas

day 57 - new notice for biometrics scheduled

day 115 - biometrics

day 167 - received appointment for interview

day 193 - interview at USCIS, application recommended for approval, waiting for date of oath ceremony

I don’t think you really need more than a week to study either, as long as you are fairly fluent in English. A few you have to memorize stuff (# of members of Congress) and some others are really very easy. And you only need 6 out of 10 right. 

I also found I had already absorbed a number of the history answers through my kids constantly playing the Hamilton soundtrack 🤣

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.