tesz

Can I use an attestation of birth letter?

8 posts in this topic

I dont have my birth certificate so I read on: https://travel.state.gov/ which issuing authority in my country I would have to request it from. I finally got the document and it includes my full name, DOB, parents name etc. but before I apply for green card I just wanted to make sure that an attestation of birth letter can be used instead of a certified copy. I know USCIS can be strict so I just want to make sure.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I going to need to supplement secondary evidence?(I also have the Statutory Declaration of Age.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
5 minutes ago, tesz said:

I dont have my birth certificate so I read on: https://travel.state.gov/ which issuing authority in my country I would have to request it from. I finally got the document and it includes my full name, DOB, parents name etc.

Which document did you get and from whom?

but before I apply for green card I just wanted to make sure that an attestation of birth letter can be used instead of a certified copy. I know USCIS can be strict so I just want to make sure.

This depends your country of birth and in some cases where within the country you were born, and when you were born.  See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html/ 

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Yes. In my wife's case, she was required to get a declaration of no birth record available. This plus her national ID was all she needed to at a K-1 visa.

Then once in the USA we learned that she needed a second declaration of no birth record available and attestations from close relatives regarding the details of her birth.

Again this is country, date, and locale dependent.  In other parts of her country, she would be required to have an actual birth certificate.

Am I going to need to supplement secondary evidence?(I also have the Statutory Declaration of Age.)

Again, depends on your country, where you born within that country, and when you were born.

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Which document did you get and from whom?

This depends your country of birth and in some cases where within the country you were born, and when you were born.  See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html/ 

Yes. In my wife's case, she was required to get a declaration of no birth record available. This plus her national ID was all she needed to at a K-1 visa.

Then once in the USA we learned that she needed a second declaration of no birth record available and attestations from close relatives regarding the details of her birth.

Again this is country, date, and locale dependent.  In other parts of her country, she would be required to have an actual birth certificate.

Again, depends on your country, where you born within that country, and when you were born.

The document I got was: ATTESTATION OF BIRTH LETTER from the National Population Commission in Nigeria. supplemented with Statutory Declaration of Age.

Yes I went to that website and the section of nigeria said to get it from the National Population Commission but it had stated to get  Certificate of Birth. thats why i am a bit confused. 

thanks for your help mate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, tesz said:

The document I got was: ATTESTATION OF BIRTH LETTER from the National Population Commission in Nigeria. supplemented with Statutory Declaration of Age.

Yes I went to that website and the section of nigeria said to get it from the National Population Commission but it had stated to get  Certificate of Birth. thats why i am a bit confused. 

thanks for your help mate

You might want to ask the moderators to move this thread to a more region/country specific forum. For Nigeria the State department says:

Alternate Documents: For people born prior to 1979 or in some cases prior to 1988, a birth certificate issued by a Local Government Authority or a hospital or a baptismal certificate is acceptable. There is also the National Population Commission Attestation of Birth Certificate issued to people whose birth occurred before 1979 when the National Population Commission issued birth certificate was first introduced as a pilot program. Any of these is acceptable.

So depending on when you were born the "National Population Commission Attestation of Birth Certificate" might be ok.

10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You might want to ask the moderators to move this thread to a more region/country specific forum. For Nigeria the State department says:

So depending on when you were born the "National Population Commission Attestation of Birth Certificate" might be ok.

Yes this is the part that im confused on aswell because i was born in the 90s so I dont know if its still acceptable but those were the documents they gave me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.