KinUK

K1 Visa - Beneficiary Disabled

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I am currently a registered disabled woman in the UK who is marrying a US citizen. Due to my disability I am unable to work. We have submitted our K1 Visa whereby I am the Beneficiary. The Petitioner is employed in the US and makes well over the required amount in the guidelines. He intends to fully support me and we will not be using any government assistance or benefits. I would also be insured under his own health insurance. We are comfortable to sign any such declaration or affidavit to attest that no government assistance will be used.

My question is, will the fact that I am disabled and have previously collected disability payments in the UK impact the K1 visa application, or possibly affect the AoS process/citizenship further down the line? I am also concerned with the upcoming medical examination to be taken place here in the UK.

Thanks! 

Edited by KinUK

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

No

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Your disability will not automatically disqualify you from receiving a K1 visa, or applying for AOS or citizenship.

Questions related to your specific disability can be addressed with the panel physician who will do the medical exam in the UK, but you can already do some reading here: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/medical-history-physical-exam.html#mmcrmc

29 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Your disability will not automatically disqualify you from receiving a K1 visa, or applying for AOS or citizenship.

Questions related to your specific disability can be addressed with the panel physician who will do the medical exam in the UK, but you can already do some reading here: https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/medical-history-physical-exam.html#mmcrmc

My real worry is as to if I would be considered a risk of public charge due to the condition and therefore denied. Since I can't work and also likely have a Class B condition. Is this true?

Edited by KinUK

Well, you mentioned that your husband makes enough to comfortably support you without government assistance. I can't see how you could be identified as a public charge, but hopefully posters who are more experienced in this area can also chime in.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 hours ago, KinUK said:

Hi everyone. I am currently a registered disabled woman in the UK who is marrying a US citizen. Due to my disability I am unable to work. We have submitted our K1 Visa whereby I am the Beneficiary. The Petitioner is employed in the US and makes well over the required amount in the guidelines. He intends to fully support me and we will not be using any government assistance or benefits. I would also be insured under his own health insurance. We are comfortable to sign any such declaration or affidavit to attest that no government assistance will be used.

My question is, will the fact that I am disabled and have previously collected disability payments in the UK impact the K1 visa application, or possibly affect the AoS process/citizenship further down the line? I am also concerned with the upcoming medical examination to be taken place here in the UK.

Thanks! 

No it will not.

9 hours ago, KinUK said:

My real worry is as to if I would be considered a risk of public charge due to the condition and therefore denied. Since I can't work and also likely have a Class B condition. Is this true?

Keep in mind that you will not be eligible for the type of welfare you're currently getting in the UK.  And health care in the US (even with insurance) can be hugely expensive.

Have you met your fiance in person?

18 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Keep in mind that you will not be eligible for the type of welfare you're currently getting in the UK.  And health care in the US (even with insurance) can be hugely expensive.

Have you met your fiance in person?

We have been in a relationship for 5 years, and have seen each other every year in our respective countries. We have met our friends, our families in-person, to which we talk with regularly. My fiance last flew over a few months ago. We talk to each other every single day and we both support each in whatever ways we can. Before I fell ill I worked for a decade in STEM. I understand my current benefits will not travel with me and will come to end, but we have discussed the associated costs of my care and I'm fortunate that my fiance is comfortable and financially able to support me (high paying job, decent career, insurance that will cover me). We have even spoken to his boss about me moving over and health insurance. We will not be drawing from government assistance in any capacity. 

39 minutes ago, KinUK said:

We have been in a relationship for 5 years, and have seen each other every year in our respective countries. We have met our friends, our families in-person, to which we talk with regularly. My fiance last flew over a few months ago. We talk to each other every single day and we both support each in whatever ways we can. Before I fell ill I worked for a decade in STEM. I understand my current benefits will not travel with me and will come to end, but we have discussed the associated costs of my care and I'm fortunate that my fiance is comfortable and financially able to support me (high paying job, decent career, insurance that will cover me). We have even spoken to his boss about me moving over and health insurance. We will not be drawing from government assistance in any capacity. 

You sound very well prepared!  This is refreshing to see here, as many do not seem to have a plan or to have researched the cost of US health care.

Stick around - VJ is full of knowledgeable and helpful folks.  Best wishes.

PS:  Most of the medical inadmissibilities we see are related to untreated infectious disease (specifically, TB), illicit drug use, or suicidal/homicidal ideation.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.