happytree

Denied name change during N400 interview

9 posts in this topic

I just had my naturalization interview recently and my oath ceremony will be in the next few weeks. Right at the beginning of my interview, the officer informed me that I wouldn't be able to change my name as I had requested in my N-400 because their court was closed due to COVID  and that no one was getting name changes in that field office. The IO told me what most people are doing is to get their naturalization without the name change, then apply for a name change in their local court, then apply to their US passport using the naturalization certificate + name change from court. 

I asked the IO if this wouldn't cause an issue knowing the naturalization certificate would have the old/incorrect name as soon as I change the name in the court. The officer said it shouldn't, because even if the certificate had the old name, I would have the court document with the new name. The officer was really nice and helpful, but I didn't want to continue pressing the name issue during my naturalization interview. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone seen/heard about a situation like this in other field offices? (my field office is Portland, OR)

2. If I get my name changed through my local court (after naturalization), Should I request a new naturalization certificate? The fee for this seems quite steep: $555 for the naturalization certificate + $300 fee in my local court.

3. Has anyone here done this? Did you apply for a passport with a naturalization certificate (old name) + court name change (new name)?

4. Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Edited by happytree
added fee amount

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When we marry here in states , we change it this way.

why not try this first?

i really don't understand why an immigrant has to go thru a lot of BS to change last name when married 

i know it is proper for oath ceremony to do it but if not available  , try the way it is done normally

Can't hurt to try especially if came on K1 and married here

but if immigration accepts the marriage certificate as bona fida ,  the  name change should be a normal process

Use a certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or name change court order to update your information at the local Social Security office. Afterwards, change your name on your driver license at an office of the Oregon DMV. You'll receive a new Social Security card and driver license in your new name.Apr 5, 2017

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, happytree said:

I just had my naturalization interview recently and my oath ceremony will be in the next few weeks. Right at the beginning of my interview, the officer informed me that I wouldn't be able to change my name as I had requested in my N-400 because their court was closed due to COVID  and that no one was getting name changes in that field office. The IO told me what most people are doing is to get their naturalization without the name change, then apply for a name change in their local court, then apply to their US passport using the naturalization certificate + name change from court. 

I asked the IO if this wouldn't cause an issue knowing the naturalization certificate would have the old/incorrect name as soon as I change the name in the court. The officer said it shouldn't, because even if the certificate had the old name, I would have the court document with the new name. The officer was really nice and helpful, but I didn't want to continue pressing the name issue during my naturalization interview. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone seen/heard about a situation like this in other field offices? (my field office is Portland, OR)

2. If I get my name changed through my local court (after naturalization), Should I request a new naturalization certificate? The fee for this seems quite steep: $555 for the naturalization certificate + $300 fee in my local court.

3. Has anyone here done this? Did you apply for a passport with a naturalization certificate (old name) + court name change (new name)?

4. Any ideas?

Thanks all!

My wife had exact same situation during her naturalization interview. She opted for name change on her N-400 but the IO told her during interview that it would take several weeks for oath as courts are closed due to the pandemic. She naturalized without name change and later applied for a name change in local court. It took about 6 weeks to get a hearing and name changed. In the mean time she applied for a passport to support any emergency travel. Once the name change order was on hand, she reapplied for passport with new name (re-applying within 1 year is free). She got the new passport and card in 4 weeks. Using the passport card she applied for SSN change and it was done in 3 weeks. Shen then got her DL changed using the name change order/passport and SSN card. It appears to be a lot of work but not complicated.

She didn't care to get a new naturalization certificate with the new name.

Edited by MightyIndian

41 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Use a certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or name change court order to update your information at the local Social Security office. Afterwards, change your name on your driver license at an office of the Oregon DMV. You'll receive a new Social Security card and driver license in your new name.Apr 5, 2017

I should add, I am not changing my name due to marriage/divorce. I have multiple last names and it causes nagging issues everywhere (banks, legal documents, etc) as US computer systems are not set up to handle last names like these. I want to drop my lastname down to a single last name so my name will read: "FIRST MIDDLE LAST" Spellings are the same, just one last name. 

Edited by happytree

4 hours ago, happytree said:

I should add, I am not changing my name due to marriage/divorce. I have multiple last names and it causes nagging issues everywhere (banks, legal documents, etc)

I'm in a similar situation. Courts in my state are not holding naturalization ceremonies at the moment and I really don't want to go through the hassle of changing my name in court after naturalizing. The name change publication requirement alone makes me want to reconsider this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 hours ago, happytree said:

I should add, I am not changing my name due to marriage/divorce. I have multiple last names and it causes nagging issues everywhere (banks, legal documents, etc) as US computer systems are not set up to handle last names like these. I want to drop my lastname down to a single last name so my name will read: "FIRST MIDDLE LAST" Spellings are the same, just one last name. 

You don't have a timeline so I don't know how you came to the US.  If there has been a marriage either here in the US or abroad you can change your last name down to one with just your marriage certificate. It doesn't need to have happened recently and is by far the easiest way to do it. 

If no marriage at all then you want to go through your local courts to change it. Who knows how long the wait could be if you did delay the oath ceremony.  There will not be any issues at all with your certificate later with a new name. Ppl get married after they naturalize or divorced all the time and get new news it's not an issue. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Most field offices hold oath ceremonies with name changes just fine during the pandemic while courts are closed, but as you experienced not all do. 

I would advice against getting a new naturalization certificate unless you really want one in your new name and want to spend the extra money. Once you receive your passport (that you apply for with your current certificate and name change document from court), and update your info with SSA (and possibly DMV), you will likely never use the certificate for anything ever in your life. Sure it can happen, but it's unlikely. For citizenship and ID you use your passport, which will have your new name. So is it worth it to spend all that money on something that will just collect dust among other documents? That's up to you. I know I wouldn't have done it.

I think you're doing the right thing getting rid of names that just cause trouble in the US system, it does make life easier. Where I'm from almost everyone has two "middle names". Two middle names are really an annoyance here in the US, especially if they're long, and they caused me issues on both i-94, my SS card and at DMV, banks etc. So during my naturalization process I got rid of one of them, now I just have First Middle Last. So much better. It may be more work for you, but if you plan on living the rest of your life in the US you're doing yourself a big favor. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

21 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

You don't have a timeline so I don't know how you came to the US.  If there has been a marriage either here in the US or abroad you can change your last name down to one with just your marriage certificate. It doesn't need to have happened recently and is by far the easiest way to do it. 

If no marriage at all then you want to go through your local courts to change it. Who knows how long the wait could be if you did delay the oath ceremony.  There will not be any issues at all with your certificate later with a new name. Ppl get married after they naturalize or divorced all the time and get new news it's not an issue. 

My court charges $300 to do a name change. I am married. If I can save $300, I might as well.

I guess the question here how would this work? obviously, I married before my naturalization happened. Would I still be able to use the marriage certificate as reason to change my name??
Also, when applying to the passport, I assume I will include my naturalization cert, marriage license and the forms with the name I want? 

Edited by happytree

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, happytree said:

My court charges $300 to do a name change. I am married. If I can save $300, I might as well.

I guess the question here how would this work? obviously, I married before my naturalization happened. Would I still be able to use the marriage certificate as reason to change my name??
Also, when applying to the passport, I assume I will include my naturalization cert, marriage license and the forms with the name I want? 

Yes you should still be able to use your marriage certificate to change your name.  With name changes with a marriage certificate it is a bit different then a court/naturalization name change. They are both legal but once can be switched (marriage) back without a court name change. 

With the marriage certificate  I'd start with SSN go in or mail not sure how they are doing things. Then your DL, bank,  CC and change update your doctors stuff. Everyone other then the doctor's office will most likely want to see your marriage certificate.  When that is all said and done apply for your passport with marriage certificate and Nat certificate. You will show that your other ID and SSN all show your New last name and the passport should come with new last name.  So you will want to update that before applying for the passport just because most of that can be done in a day and you will want other documents to show you're using your married name when applying for the passport. 

It's too bad you couldn't just ask the officer to switch to your married name. I'd even try to call them and ask if it is not too late. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.