MAJPoet

221G Administrative Review

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Where do I begin? My fiancé and I have been down a long, difficult road. We have been together for 4 years. Broke up and got back together. Long distance relationships can be difficult, not matter how much you love one another. That said, after waiting a year to get through USCIS and the NVC, we finally got our interview a few weeks back. We thought we had all the papers and documents ready. We really know one another well, and she speaks fluent English, so I was cautiously confident that things would go well. I should have expected the worst. At the end of the interview, she was given a 221G form and told to supply additional evidence: a court record (our lawyer seems to have missed this document), an original divorce decree (she only had the copy that was in the I-129 file), and, to my surprise, the CO asked for more photos, chats, and travel records, even though examples of each were in the file my fiancé was asked to bring to the interview. We gathered all the documents and returned them via courier service within a couple of days. From what I have been reading and hearing, AP is a "holding pattern." No one can tell you how long it will take and what the outcome will be. According to my fiancé several others were given 221G forms the day of her interview. Is this common these days? I was under the impression that CO's were supposed to issue them sparingly. One other question for now: when I search our case on CEAC, it says "refused." Is this common for those in AP? I appreciate any help and advice. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, MAJPoet said:

According to my fiancé several others were given 221G forms the day of her interview. Is this common these days? I was under the impression that CO's were supposed to issue them sparingly. One other question for now: when I search our case on CEAC, it says "refused." Is this common for those in AP?

221gs are extremely common.  I'm not sure where you got your information, but 221gs are given when additional documents are needed, when additional background checks need to be done, or even when a final check is pending.  It could be a days, weeks, or months.  Yes, "Refused" is the proper status for a case undergoing AP.  It does not mean the case has been denied.  Hopefully, the status will change to "issued" soon.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

221gs are extremely common.  I'm not sure where you got your information, but 221gs are given when additional documents are needed, when additional background checks need to be done, or even when a final check is pending.  It could be a days, weeks, or months.  Yes, "Refused" is the proper status for a case undergoing AP.  It does not mean the case has been denied.  Hopefully, the status will change to "issued" soon.

Thank you for replying. I truly appreciate the information and clarification. I will admit that I had been receiving a lot of contradictory information these last few week and months. It's one of the reasons I turned to the forum. I noticed people here had firsthand experience. This is extremely helpful. Yes, it's only been about 3 weeks, so we just have to be patient. My challenge is that some of my fiancé's relatives have given her the impression it should have been done after a week of receiving the additional documents; others have given her the impression that all hope is lost. I am trying to keep her calm and in the middle of the two "extremes."

Thank you for the well wishes. We, too, hope to receive a status update to "issued" soon. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, MAJPoet said:

Thank you for replying. I truly appreciate the information and clarification. I will admit that I had been receiving a lot of contradictory information these last few week and months. It's one of the reasons I turned to the forum. I noticed people here had firsthand experience. This is extremely helpful. Yes, it's only been about 3 weeks, so we just have to be patient. My challenge is that some of my fiancé's relatives have given her the impression it should have been done after a week of receiving the additional documents; others have given her the impression that all hope is lost. I am trying to keep her calm and in the middle of the two "extremes."

Thank you for the well wishes. We, too, hope to receive a status update to "issued" soon. 

All hope is not lost....but some cases take longer than others.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Casa is known to ask for more proof if it was not provided in the beginning with the petition

Is she muslim and you are not?

is there a big age difference?

did you enclose any photos taken with the USC and her family to show they approve?

did they keep her passport?

How much time did you spend with her to actually get to know her?  sorry online isn't the same as being with someone

did the lawyer make any mistakes on the petition?   

answer the above so we know what issues put this case in extended AP?

and all is never lost as you can return and marry and go thru the CR1 process 

Edited by JeanneAdil

Timeline
54 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Casa is known to ask for more proof if it was not provided in the beginning with the petition

Is she muslim and you are not?

is there a big age difference?

did you enclose any photos taken with the USC and her family to show they approve?

did they keep her passport?

How much time did you spend with her to actually get to know her?  sorry online isn't the same as being with someone

did the lawyer make any mistakes on the petition?   

answer the above so we know what issues put this case in extended AP?

and all is never lost as you can return and marry and go thru the CR1 process 

Yes, I am hearing that Casa is very particular.

- Yes, we are both Muslims.

-There is a big age difference. I know it may be an issue with CO's; however, in our religion, this is not an issue whatsoever. The family has no issue either.

- Yes, we did enclose photos with her father, grandmothers, stepmother, aunts, sister, et al. Some of the photos were at our walimah (engagement party).

- They did not keep her passport at the interview. However, the CO wrote on the 221G form that she should send her passport with the requested information. So, the consulate has her passport now.

- I visited Morocco a total of 6 times. I spent Ramadan and Eid with her twice in that time and stayed weeks the other times. (Additionally, my fiance said the CO appeared impressed with the number of times I had visited.)

- Yes, the lawyer dropped the ball on the "court document" listed on the website. The item was vague. (it just said "court document.") The lawyer did not include it. So, this is one of the documents she had to get and send back via courier. 

Also, my fiance said they asked her several times if she was sure I was American. I wasn't sure how to understand that line of questioning since my birth certificate is in the file. The place of birth of my parents is also in the application. Finally,  I was told we might have to consider the CR1 process. Isn't that (at least) a two year process? 

I hope this information is beneficial. If you can offer any suggestions or advice, I would appreciate it. We are, naturally, anxious.

Edited by MAJPoet

Timeline

If they asked for passport,   that's a good sign

Time spent is good

i also did Ramadan in 2011 and Eid in 2010  and same religion is a plus 

Asking about u as American is just trying to make sure she knows all about u- no big deal if she was confident with answers

probably they will issue visa as they asked for passport

but if not,  yeah 2 years for marriage and CR1 visa 

but many of us ,  including me,  have had to go this route

make sure u go to your profile and complete the timeline and embassy review as its so helpful to those of us who try to guide others

incha yekbel

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Time spent is good

Asking about u as American is just trying to make sure she knows all about u- no big deal if she was confident with answers

make sure u go to your profile and complete the timeline and embassy review as its so helpful to those of us who try to guide others

incha yekbel

Ok, I wasn't sure why they would ask her that repeatedly. Your answer makes sense of it. Thank you.

You had to go the CR1 route. Can I ask what happened in your situation? Hearing others recount their stories has helped me better understand the whole process.

A lawyer told me something very sobering a couple of days ago. He said, unfortunately, CO's would rather deny a legitimate couple than approve a fraudulent couple. So, they will err on the side of caution. Is this what you've seen?

And I will be sure to complete the timeline. Thank you for the reminder. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Time spent is good

incha yekbel

And yes, my fiance said she was confident with her answers. She is a confident person by nature. So, I can imagine she answered unhesitatingly.

Timeline
1 hour ago, MAJPoet said:

Ok, I wasn't sure why they would ask her that repeatedly. Your answer makes sense of it. Thank you.

You had to go the CR1 route. Can I ask what happened in your situation? Hearing others recount their stories has helped me better understand the whole process.

A lawyer told me something very sobering a couple of days ago. He said, unfortunately, CO's would rather deny a legitimate couple than approve a fraudulent couple. So, they will err on the side of caution. Is this what you've seen?

And I will be sure to complete the timeline. Thank you for the reminder. 

our age difference was a BIG one (married now over 11 years and he's a citizen)

our 2009 K1 was denied as when she said "Does your family approve?" he smiled as i spent a month with them. and CO said "u smile,, u lie,  visa denied"

my experience was abnormal and u will not go thru anything like i did so no panic, please

but i had to overcome a big RFE  for the CR1 that asked for everything including proof that i told my mother i would marry him, death certificates for both our dads as they couldn't witness the marriage, bank statements for each trip 3 months prior to and 3 months after showing how i paid for trip,   etc   (a lot of other BS and the packet back for this proof weighed 25 pounds)

i commingled fiances by putting him on my tax returns as non alien spouse,  getting ITIN ,,  using ITIN to add to checking account,  adding him with POA from him and quick claim deed to my house,  and one utility bill.  then we were approved

but even now,  keep copies of everything sent to immigration as you will refer to the documents over and over for the AOS, EAD, and AP process and the questions will be repeated several times on these applications / keep copies right up til she is a citizen 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

our 2009 K1 was denied as when she said "Does your family approve?" he smiled as i spent a month with them. and CO said "u smile,, u lie,  visa denied"

my experience was abnormal and u will not go thru anything like i did so no panic, please

but i had to overcome a big RFE  for the CR1 that asked for everything including proof that i told my mother i would marry him, death certificates for both our dads as they couldn't witness the marriage, bank statements for each trip 3 months prior to and 3 months after showing how i paid for trip,   etc   (a lot of other BS and the packet back for this proof weighed 25 pounds)

i commingled fiances by putting him on my tax returns as non alien spouse,  getting ITIN ,,  using ITIN to add to checking account,  adding him with POA from him and quick claim deed to my house,  and one utility bill.  then we were approved

but even now,  keep copies of everything sent to immigration as you will refer to the documents over and over for the AOS, EAD, and AP process and the questions will be repeated several times on these applications / keep copies right up til she is a citizen 

It's interesting. The CO never even alluded to the age difference. Though no one can say for sure if it was in their mind.

That's a deep story: "You smile. You lie. Visa denied." So, no 221G or administrative processing? I can only imagine how that impacted you. But I am happy that everything worked out in the end. Nothing better than a happy ending.

We, too, sent in a huge file, almost 400 pages.

And yes, I will be sure to keep all the paperwork. I am hoping that we will not have to go the CR1 route, though we are prepared to do whatever is necessary. We're in it for the long haul. We were just hoping it would be a short haul. We are still hopeful.

Timeline
4 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

My lawyer asked me to come in today to discuss everything. Long story short, we just have to be patient and wait it out. 

Timeline
5 hours ago, MAJPoet said:

My lawyer asked me to come in today to discuss everything. Long story short, we just have to be patient and wait it out. 

yes,  we all wait and wait some more 

incha yessir

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kaypei said:

I recieved termination notice today from uscis because the co said we were married, why we only did an introduction... am praying for you and wishing you all the best 

I am so sorry to hear this news. Why did the CO say you were married? How did USCIS contact you? What will you do next? Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.