seekingthetruth

Which is faster? Tax transcript or full tax return?

13 posts in this topic

I recall reading that NVC can process a tax transcript faster than a tax return with all the extra papers.  Perhaps the transcript allows a more automated process? As opposed to a manual process with the tax return.  Is this true?

We have everything ready to submit to NVC except for the tax transcript.  I did not submit my 2020 return until July 15th (electronic) so it has now been 30 days.  I check "Where is my refund" every day to see if that is updated, and have no idea how long the transcript will take after the return is done processing.  Currently, the IRS has this advice posted:  

COVID-19 Processing Delays
It’s taking more than 21 days for us to issue refunds for certain mailed and e-filed 2020 tax returns that require review. Mailed correspondence is also taking longer to process. Thank you for your patience.

My return might require review as I sold a rental house and my income was much higher than previous years.

If you recall our background, I am trying to time the medical and interview for my wife and step-daughter, in Manila, for early next year.  Seems like things have slowed down there recently, and of course St. Lukes is closed right now.

So the current question is, given my "hoped for" ideal timeline, should I continue to wait for the tax transcript or submit my full tax return?  Will the full tax return slow us down at NVC?

Thank you in advance, all holders of sage advice!

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

12 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Perhaps the transcript allows a more automated process? As opposed to a manual process with the tax return.  Is this true?

No data to determine for sure.  Just the note on the DOS visa process guide that "NVC strongly recommends the submission of tax transcripts since they typically provide the information necessary for an evaluation of completeness of the Affidavit of Support and result in more efficient processing."

Since you're not in a rush for a visa interview this year, might as well wait for your transcript.  Current wait time for NVC review is around 2 months from document submission.  Then the US embassy in Manila seems to have caught up with their backlog of IR cases, so the wait time for interview is not horrendous like it is for K1 cases.  For my (non-expedited) IR1 case, wait time from DQ to initial IL was just 3 weeks.  My case could be an outlier, but the other CR1/IR1 folks at the Philippine forum didn't seem to have waited too long either.

I figure the transcript is 'preferred' since it comes straight from the IRS.  Short of criminal forgery, it could pretty much be accepted at face value.  There is not much room to question it so I could understand why NVC would favor the transcript.   Returns otoh are a little less black and white.  Maybe someone might file a return that might later be rejected by the IRS.  It may legitimately be the return they filed that they could honestly submit to NVC.  There is more room for discrepancy.

However, if the transcript is unavailable due to the IRS's backlog, then the preferred option of submitting a transcript is impossible.  You can't submit something that doesn't exist.  That is exactly our case.  I filed on time in May, before the extended deadline.  On paper and with a W7 for an ITIN for my wife.  It's not surprising it has not yet been processed.  So... I submitted to NVC a copy of our filed 1040 with W2 and 1099s to meet the requirement.  Plus the return transcripts for 2018 and 2019 just for good measure.  My wife DQ with this easily.  My stepdaughter is not DQ yet but all the financial documents were accepted without RFE.

I figure worst case if they gave you a RFE for a transcript that is unavailable.... is you are waiting for it to become available.  Which is the same situation as waiting for it to become available before you submitted documents.  No harm I'm trying just the return if that's all you can get.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

8 hours ago, Chancy said:

Since you're not in a rush for a visa interview this year, might as well wait for your transcript.  Current wait time for NVC review is around 2 months from document submission.  Then the US embassy in Manila seems to have caught up with their backlog of IR cases, so the wait time for interview is not horrendous like it is for K1 cases. 

I thought I had seen some recent posts where IR1 cases were waiting longer for DQ, but maybe that was other, more difficult countries.  My plan for the last several months was to submit in September, but I was getting a bit worried that September would be a bit late.  Perhaps I will stick with that plan and I will get the transcript by then.  Submit late September, DQ late November, interview January?  That is actually a bit earlier than I would like.  Feb/Mar would be better.

Thank you!

Spouse

Stepdaughter

6 hours ago, top_secret said:

I figure worst case if they gave you a RFE for a transcript that is unavailable.... is you are waiting for it to become available.  Which is the same situation as waiting for it to become available before you submitted documents.  No harm I'm trying just the return if that's all you can get.

As I mentioned above, I am probably a bit early, so I will wait a while and maybe the transcript will be available by then.  I'm still going to prepare the return and have it ready.  It was prepared by my CPA and has a lot of extra junk in the PDF that I don't want to send.  Estimated payments, forecasts, etc.

Thank you!

Spouse

Stepdaughter

3 hours ago, seekingthetruth said:

Perhaps I will stick with that plan and I will get the transcript by then.  Submit late September, DQ late November, interview January?  That is actually a bit earlier than I would like.  Feb/Mar would be better.

Yes, I suggest submitting all the documents as soon as you get the return transcript.  If you get DQ and IL sooner than expected, you can always ask to reschedule.  But request a date at least 1 month before your ideal date, for the off-chance that your wife gets tagged for sputum testing.  If my batch at SLEC was typical, then they tag at least 100 applicants per week.  None of us had obvious TB symptoms, as SLEC would not let you in if you have a fever/cough.

On 8/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, Chancy said:

Yes, I suggest submitting all the documents as soon as you get the return transcript.  If you get DQ and IL sooner than expected, you can always ask to reschedule.  But request a date at least 1 month before your ideal date, for the off-chance that your wife gets tagged for sputum testing.  If my batch at SLEC was typical, then they tag at least 100 applicants per week.  None of us had obvious TB symptoms, as SLEC would not let you in if you have a fever/cough.

I have been doing a bit more research on the tax refund and tax processing delays this year.  There are a lot of articles and you tube videos on the subject, and they are say the same.  Big mess.  Big backlog.  People say they check the "Where is my refund?" site and nothing ever changes.

So, I'm not too confident that the 2020 transcript will be available.

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I have the same question. Can someone tell me which category on the IRS website is best. 

Return transcripts? There are 4 categories. 

Also are printed versions ok or do they have to be sent from the IRS themselves. 

Edited by stringpuller

6 hours ago, stringpuller said:

Can someone tell me which category on the IRS website is best. 

Return transcripts?

Yes -- tax RETURN transcripts.  You need to submit the digital version to NVC.  The visa applicant should bring the printed copy to the interview.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Chancy said:

Yes -- tax RETURN transcripts.  You need to submit the digital version to NVC.  The visa applicant should bring the printed copy to the interview.

Thank you for your reply. 

So I want to be clear headed here. At the IRS website i choose download instead of print? 

And the paper copies to take to interview will be the printed transcripts from the site or that which my tax person filed? 

6 minutes ago, stringpuller said:

At the IRS website i choose download instead of print? 

And the paper copies to take to interview will be the printed transcripts from the site or that which my tax person filed?

Choose download.  Then submit the downloaded transcript file to NVC via CEAC upload.  Then print a copy of the downloaded transcript.  Bring that printed copy to the visa interview.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Chancy said:

Choose download.  Then submit the downloaded transcript file to NVC via CEAC upload.  Then print a copy of the downloaded transcript.  Bring that printed copy to the visa interview.

Thank you!

On 8/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, Chancy said:

Update....

I was finally able to get an IRS online account.  Previously, it was not allowed because I filed my taxes with an overseas address in the Philippines.  My 2020 return has my Florida mailing address.  I filed the 2020 return on July 15th.  A few weeks ago, I took a shot at opening an IRS online account and it went through, except they had to mail a PIN.  I received the PIN today and finished the sign up.

Surprise, surprise, my 2020 tax transcript is already there!  I have not received my small refund and "Where's my refund" still says "Your tax return is still being processed".

So I guess we are good to go.  The transcript has quite a few abbreviations, like our last names only show 4 letters of the first and last names, and the address is short.  Is this normal?  

Added by edit:  I found out that the abbreviations are normal.

Edited by seekingthetruth

Spouse

Stepdaughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.