B777X

Administrative processing proof of relationship requested

45 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, dnyal said:

I was thinking that he could have filed as "married filing separately." It would've been a better option, and he could have still claimed dependents.

On 8/7/2021 at 11:26 AM, ra0010 said:

If you’re a USC and you’re married on the Dec 31, next year you have to file as “married” even if your spouse doesn’t live here.

OP said he filed as Head of Household, not Single.  HoH can be a perfectly valid filing status for certain married taxpayers with dependents and could be more financially advantageous based on their circumstances.  The IRS explicitly says so -- https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2020_publink1000220727

"Married persons living apart.  If you live apart from your spouse and meet certain tests, you may be able to file as head of household even if you aren't divorced or legally separated. If you qualify to file as head of household instead of as married filing separately, your standard deduction will be higher. Also, your tax may be lower, and you may be able to claim the earned income credit."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline
On 8/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, B777X said:

I'd like to add to my initial post...

The US embassy website that is specific to the beneficiary's country states the following:
"

If the petitioner for your immigrant visa –your spouse, mother, father, sibling or child – is currently in Uzbekistan, please bring them with you to your appointment.  While their attendance during your interview is not required, the consular officer must verify that you and the petitioner have a bona fide relationship. It is almost always easier to demonstrate that you and the petitioner have a relationship if they attend the interview with you.  For step-child cases, we often need to validate the relationship between the biological parent and the petitioner, as well–so it often helps if they come.

We recognize that the distance and cost may prohibit the petitioner to attend the interview so this is not a requirement but it may expedite processing of your immigrant visa.

To schedule appointment petitioners must send an email inquiry to our Consular Section. For instructions please visit our Contact Us webpage."

I (the petitioner) did come with my wife to her interview and informed the security guard that I am the one who filed the petition. He responded saying he will ask the consular officer permission to let me in. The lady who collected the document said that I should wait outside. I don't believe she informed the consular officer that I came with my wife. At the end she handed the 221(g) form asking for proof of relationship. The text from the website clearly states that the petitioner's presence can help to verify a bona fide relationship. My wife did not inform the consular officer about this assuming that she was already informed by the lady who collected the documents. This just doesn't make any sense. They asked for proof and I am the living proof standing at their doorstep. And yet, they decide to not let me in and send my wife back asking for "proof of relationship".

I told my wife to not force any information on the consular, answer her questions clearly and elaborate on details. They just overlooked a lot of information that was presented to them.

Unfortunate to hear, good to know before I buy a plane ticket over there though. This embassy is one elephant short of a circus. I would reach out to your U.S representative and senators to help if you haven't. They admittedly did not help me much with my case mired in the middle of the whole process. But they reached out twice for me and it might help since you have a singular entity to focus on.

10 minutes ago, Rinami said:

Unfortunate to hear, good to know before I buy a plane ticket over there though. This embassy is one elephant short of a circus. I would reach out to your U.S representative and senators to help if you haven't. They admittedly did not help me much with my case mired in the middle of the whole process. But they reached out twice for me and it might help since you have a singular entity to focus on.

I agree. I've spoken to another CR1 applicant who has been in AP since November 2020. We had zero email communication from the Embassy ever since we were scheduled for an interview. I don't understand what's the point of piling up additional work on the existing backlog. If all they need is proof of relationship, why not take advantage of my presence and ask me whatever questions they have. Our case is pretty straightforward - first marriage for both of us, no kids, I earn enough to support both of us, no need for a joint sponsor. Wife hadn't lived anywhere else, no need for foreign police certificates. If it's a security check,  we both have clean records. We didn't lie on any of the forms, specifically wrote that she was denied an F1 visa. Provided all IRS documents. I'll be contacting the US representatives office if we don't get a response in couple of weeks. I also wrote to the department of Justice asking for assistance (not a writ of mandamus yet). Hope you’re case will progress soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 hours ago, B777X said:

I agree. I've spoken to another CR1 applicant who has been in AP since November 2020. We had zero email communication from the Embassy ever since we were scheduled for an interview. I don't understand what's the point of piling up additional work on the existing backlog. If all they need is proof of relationship, why not take advantage of my presence and ask me whatever questions they have. Our case is pretty straightforward - first marriage for both of us, no kids, I earn enough to support both of us, no need for a joint sponsor. Wife hadn't lived anywhere else, no need for foreign police certificates. If it's a security check,  we both have clean records. We didn't lie on any of the forms, specifically wrote that she was denied an F1 visa. Provided all IRS documents. I'll be contacting the US representatives office if we don't get a response in couple of weeks. I also wrote to the department of Justice asking for assistance (not a writ of mandamus yet). Hope you’re case will progress soon.

Just write to a US representative now. They take a while coming back as well. You'll have to fill out a form and then add your documents/letters of concern. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the US Embassy today with a US citizen services appointment request and tried to explain to the consul our situation and asked to take additional proof of relationship documents. While they refused to help with our CR1 case, they provided some information regarding CRBA saying that the process should not take more than couple of months assuming that you can prove 5 year US domicile. They said the most important factor in establishing citizenship for the child would be to prove that the US citizen applying for CRBA has physically lived in the US for at least 5 years and is a parent of the newborn. They also said that Tax returns or transcripts cannot serve as proof of US domicile. You can provide apartment leases, pay stubs, employment letters, college transcripts as acceptable proof. Thought I would share this in case anyone is or may be in the same situation in the future.

Edited by B777X

• 2 weeks later...

We got a phone call from the Embassy today informing us that my wife's visa is approved and asked us to bring her passport to them. CEAC status changed to "Ready". I think it will change to Administrative Processing and then Issued next. Thanks everyone for you guidance and help. Those who are waiting don't loose hope, God willing your cases will move forward soon. Good luck!

Timeline
18 hours ago, B777X said:

We got a phone call from the Embassy today informing us that my wife's visa is approved and asked us to bring her passport to them. CEAC status changed to "Ready". I think it will change to Administrative Processing and then Issued next. Thanks everyone for you guidance and help. Those who are waiting don't loose hope, God willing your cases will move forward soon. Good luck!

That is great. Were you able to deliver the additional documents they requested or was it approved without them? Any outside help?

41 minutes ago, Rinami said:

That is great. Were you able to deliver the additional documents they requested or was it approved without them? Any outside help?

We tried hand carrying them twice (with and without an appointment) and they refused to accept, instead asked to email them. No outside help, although we did send them multiple emails asking to expedite for specific reasons. Not sure how much that helped. Somebody I know who indirectly interacts with the Embassy said that new Consuls have arrived in Tashkent recently, maybe that sped things up.

Timeline
1 hour ago, B777X said:

We tried hand carrying them twice (with and without an appointment) and they refused to accept, instead asked to email them. No outside help, although we did send them multiple emails asking to expedite for specific reasons. Not sure how much that helped. Somebody I know who indirectly interacts with the Embassy said that new Consuls have arrived in Tashkent recently, maybe that sped things up.

Looking at their website it appears the Consular Chief changed, as well as the Deputy Chief of Mission. Maybe that will improve things from terrible to just subpar. 

48 minutes ago, Rinami said:

Looking at their website it appears the Consular Chief changed, as well as the Deputy Chief of Mission. Maybe that will improve things from terrible to just subpar. 

There were at least 10 people who picked up their passports with visas today. Non-immigrant and immigrant included. About 3-4 submitted their passports with visas to be issued until 9/30.

We picked up my wife's passport with the visa today. There were about 10 people there who got their visas as well. I also heard that they conducted 47 Green Card interviews since September 16th. There was a news report that they're resuming non-immigrant (student, visitor, etc) visa interviews on limited basis.

Timeline

Hello

my NOA1 is March 2nd and NOA2 is October 14th 2020, so I wanted to know if anyone with earlier NOA2 date is still waiting for an interview ? And Did anyone’s k1 visa was sent to the us embassy in Tashkent or got an interview  in September or October? On their website it says that they starting normal processing of visas but I don’t know how true that is. I am not sure if I should wait or transfer my case to different embassy. 

Edited by Dilsh

Timeline
12 hours ago, Dilsh said:

Hello

my NOA1 is March 2nd and NOA2 is October 14th 2020, so I wanted to know if anyone with earlier NOA2 date is still waiting for an interview ? And Did anyone’s k1 visa was sent to the us embassy in Tashkent or got an interview  in September or October? On their website it says that they starting normal processing of visas but I don’t know how true that is. I am not sure if I should wait or transfer my case to different embassy. 

NOA2 Aug 2020 and case is still at NVC. Our mandamus action has produced no results. Sent emails asking for transfer to multiple embassies one can travel to easy on Uzbek passport, in late March -  early April. They all said no. Jumping back to prior comment, we know of a F2B that had interview two weeks ago and received their approval.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello everyone. Finally my k1 visa case is at the US embassy in Tashkent Uzbekistan. I just wanted to anyone who already had interview for k1 visa if they can tell what documents I need to prepare. How will I receive my interview date and P3 package? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.