loveromelyn

Tourist visa in expired passport!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello! I met my wife in the Philippines and we have lived together in the USA since 2011 or so. Before covid her mom was coming for a few months at a time to help with kids. Filipino passport had a 5 year expiration! Last week she received a new passport (they are now good for 10 years!). Here is the question: the new passport doesn’t have a visa. Our tourist visas are good for 10 years! Does the new passport need to have the visa? The Internet says that they just travel with both passports(expired and new). It would be nice nice to know for sure.

4 minutes ago, loveromelyn said:

they just travel with both passports(expired and new).

US Department of State site: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/frequently-asked-questions/about-basics.html

My old passport has already expired. My visa to travel to the United States is still valid but in my expired passport. Do I need to apply for a new visa with my new passport?

No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country. When you arrive at the U.S. port-of-entry (POE, generally an airport or land border) the Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer will check your visa in the old passport and if s/he decides to admit you into the United States they will stamp your new passport with an admission stamp along with the annotation "VIOPP" (visa in other passport). Do not try to remove the visa from your old passport and stick it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa will no longer be valid.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijacked post removed~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I travelled to USA with my new passport and have my old passport as well with me multiple times. In border i just gave them both of my passport. I usually gave a sticky tab where the visa is on old passport, and where the ID page is in new one. Would be easier for them to find 9it just my own preference). No problem so far.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.