John & Rose

Utah County Proxy (Zoom) wedding

162 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ginarcm said:

@John & Rose, you gave me another alternative to pursue.  I'll be in Philippines in September for the K1 in-meeting requirement... But if Zoom marriage is an option and not so much complex to process, am thinking to go for it and have the marriage while I am at Philippines.. the proof of consummation will then be that am still there with fiance after date of marriage.  Plus, we have PH bank account that is waiting to add my name on it... but i have to be present in the bank to sign.

Last time I checked, the only way you can get you name on it is to be married unless you are using a Philippine passport. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

How are you getting in?  Tourism is still closed and you have to be married to get the visa. They don’t really ask for proof. Basically you have to physically be together after the wedding. 

Getting married there is a little complicated and takes 3 weeks if you are very organized. Expect to be there a month to get everything done. 

I am a returning former Filipino, so got privilege to enter under Balikbayan Program.  I do not have plans to marry in Philippines though, coz most friends/families are already here.  Just bad right now with all the ECQ, Quarantine, and everything else.  Plus, reading K1 is taking longer.. then one fiance arrives here, we still have lots to process for him to start working... so, maybe the spouse visa might be faster?

32 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

In my opinion, spousal is by far a better choice, now more than ever. They are still processing spousal visas at almost pre Covid numbers and the advantages after arrival can’t be ignored. Spousal, in my opinion, wins hands down. 

It is quicker to the beneficiary getting settled, less paperwork and much less expensive. 

@John & RoseThank you for the information.  We talked about it, might be the better option for us.  So, we shall see.. 🙏 we have 2 weeks to research and decide. Again, thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

As a quick update, Utah cannot verify my step son's fiancee since she doesnt have a passport or driver's license yet.  We made it almost all the way through but cant go farther unless they get a copy of her passport or driver's license.  Looks like they will marry in Manila.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

@John & Rose
Is there a way your stepson's fiancée can get either of those IDs before the stepson's arrival in the PH?

Pre-COVID, an initial driver's license was very easy to get (no fixers involved). It took a couple of weeks if I remember right.

Same for passports - as long as she can get a passport appointment (the real challenge), she can also get it in a couple of weeks.

Or, would any other national ID work? If yes, the UMID or the newly launched PH national ID would serve.

Normally yes but with ECQ and her being over 7 months pregnant makes it tougher for her to take the driving test and DFA isn’t open. He arrives there October 1 so we are keeping the options open but right now she can’t do either. 

I was going to try to call Utah and see if they will accept her tax ID or postal ID. The process is automated so hopefully a person will be able to help. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

If You Can't Use the Online Application

If you are not able to come into the office in person or are unable to use the online application system for any reason, you can use the button below to schedule a virtual office visit with a County Clerk over a video conference.

SCHEDULE VIRTUAL OFFICE VISIT

I think you still can!

I will definitely look into that. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Normally yes but with ECQ and her being over 7 months pregnant makes it tougher for her to take the driving test and DFA isn’t open. He arrives there October 1 so we are keeping the options open but right now she can’t do either. 

I was going to try to call Utah and see if they will accept her tax ID or postal ID. The process is automated so hopefully a person will be able to help. 

How is he getting in to the Philippines? 

He is Filipino. My wife and step kids were CR cases. They all have green cards and I can travel with my wife. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update.  We had a challenge because my step son's fiancee didnt have a passport or drivers license.  Thanks to the advice here (Thank you @ginarcm) we did the online call to the Utah Clerk.  Last night the marriage license was issued and they have their online wedding scheduled for next Friday night at 7:30 our time, Sept 11 at 8:30 am their time.  All is set and the clerk was awesome.  I spend a little time asking questions and he said that so far he has not heard of a single instance where the foreign country or USCIS and the State Department have had any questions.  He said they have performed thousands of online weddings and they will continue to do them after the pandemic.

As a sidenote, the use Microsoft Teams software now and they recommend Google Chrome. 

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

On 9/4/2021 at 12:17 PM, John & Rose said:

I have an update.  We had a challenge because my step son's fiancee didnt have a passport or drivers license.  Thanks to the advice here (Thank you @ginarcm) we did the online call to the Utah Clerk.  Last night the marriage license was issued and they have their online wedding scheduled for next Friday night at 7:30 our time, Sept 11 at 8:30 am their time.  All is set and the clerk was awesome.  I spend a little time asking questions and he said that so far he has not heard of a single instance where the foreign country or USCIS and the State Department have had any questions.  He said they have performed thousands of online weddings and they will continue to do them after the pandemic.

As a sidenote, the use Microsoft Teams software now and they recommend Google Chrome. 

Yes they are accommodating, they also just upgraded their system last week.  We had our wedding last Sept 7, still on Zoom app, it went very well.  Congratulations and Best Wishes to your step son and fiancee!

21 minutes ago, ginarcm said:

Yes they are accommodating, they also just upgraded their system last week.  We had our wedding last Sept 7, still on Zoom app, it went very well.  Congratulations and Best Wishes to your step son and fiancee!

When do you pay the $35?  It says that in the wedding link but doesn't mention when to pay.

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.