EKT

Any experience with interviews in Auckland?

521 posts in this topic

Following up my previous post. I just talked to/scheduled with CityMed.

They said for the eMedical it usually takes ~48 hours to get the documents to the consulate. With paper forms it's longer, but usually less than a week.

So she said booking the medical 2 weeks ahead of the interview date was no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been following this page for along time now. I’ve been DQ’ed last 20-Apr-23 and still waiting for the IL.

I was looking on the news on the US Consulate NZ website. I want to share what I found so that people waiting for interview schedules will know what to expect. I found out that they won’t do interviews on July and August.

Reference: https://nz.usembassy.gov/plan-ahead-apply-now/

IMG_6682.jpeg

Hi everyone, for the documents to be submitted to the consulate a week prior. Are you also getting your copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates etc notarised or signed by JP? I am aware we also need to provide originals too.

Thanks!

Also @Jacq1227 thank you for the helpful information above

I have a question about the pre-interview pack (IR1 visa) that I'm planning to drop off this week.

I saw a few posts mentioning to include a self-addressed courier envelope, but I can't find this instruction anywhere in the correspondence from NVC/ACK, or on the ACK pre-interview document instructions. Does anyone know if it's required?

On 5/2/2023 at 1:55 PM, chevin said:

Hi everyone, for the documents to be submitted to the consulate a week prior. Are you also getting your copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates etc notarised or signed by JP? I am aware we also need to provide originals too.

Thanks!

Also @Jacq1227 thank you for the helpful information above

@chevin I got my copies certified just to be on the safe side, though it might not have been required.

On 5/7/2023 at 7:38 PM, kiwipete said:

I have a question about the pre-interview pack (IR1 visa) that I'm planning to drop off this week.

I saw a few posts mentioning to include a self-addressed courier envelope, but I can't find this instruction anywhere in the correspondence from NVC/ACK, or on the ACK pre-interview document instructions. Does anyone know if it's required?

@kiwipete Hopefully you sorted this but if memory serves me correctly you might be able to pay for the courier services there (I think I saw it on display there when I went for my interview), but I supplied mine while dropping off the documents, and got back the passports in in it.

Hi! @MaliceDaMeanest and @kiwipete thanks for your help! Just had my interview today all went well!

I can confirm they do need the courier bag so good you got one @kiwipete! however for those who didn’t include it in the pack, don’t worry You can bring it on the day of the interview or if you don't have one at the time too they told some of us we could go to the dairy at Britomart which sells postal bags, they could buy one after the interview and just put it in the immigrant visa mailbox so they can use that to ship your passport back to you. They were understaffed today so we couldn’t buy one there today but I think usually you’d be able to!

If anyone’s worried about the questions don’t worry! They’re so nice and didn’t ask me much overall I think I was in line for 40 mins but the interview only took about 2 minutes. Here’s a few questions I can remember:

1) who’s your petitioner?

2) who is he to you? (I just said his name so they followed up with this)

3) when did you meet?

4) did you start dating right away?

5) how did you manage long distance?

6) how long have you been together for?

7) what made you want to get married?

8 ) what’s his job? Which company? US OR NZ?

9) what do you do?

10) where are you planning on staying in the states?

11) when do you plan to move? (Reminded me that we need to move within 6 months if when the medical was taken)?

12) what work did you do while on a J1?

Then I had a mini freak out because she said we might need a joint sponsor because my husband was currently working for an NZ company and not US but thankfully it was all ok in the end as he had some investments and I just pointed to where the documents were in the package.

Wishing you all the absolute best next week! ❤️❤️❤️

48 minutes ago, sabby_nay said:

Hello everyone! 
This thread is exceptionally helpful and want to let everyone know that our Cr1 visa approved today . 

Good luck to everyone and God Bless. 

YAY! Congratulations @sabby_nay!
Sending good wishes to everyone else who had their interviews today or are having it soon!

For anyone who recently interviewed and worried about their status on the CEAC visa website not updating yet, don't worry too much if the status is "administrative processing" for about 2 days. This will be updated to "issued" once they ship your passport out! They shipped it out on Friday and I got my passport back the following Monday after my interview(based in AKL) so it may take a few more days for other locations :)

I also wanted to check with anyone who has already flown in to the USA or plans to fly into the states (This may not be the right thread so feel free to direct me to the right one), has anyone recently gone through Honolulu Airport for first point of entry with their CR1/IR1? I'm currently deciding between arriving at HNL or SFO as a layover and wanted to see anyone's recent experiences with customs there? :D 

Thank you!

22 hours ago, chevin said:

Sending good wishes to everyone else who had their interviews today or are having it soon!

For anyone who recently interviewed and worried about their status on the CEAC visa website not updating yet, don't worry too much if the status is "administrative processing" for about 2 days. This will be updated to "issued" once they ship your passport out! They shipped it out on Friday and I got my passport back the following Monday after my interview(based in AKL) so it may take a few more days for other locations :)

I also wanted to check with anyone who has already flown in to the USA or plans to fly into the states (This may not be the right thread so feel free to direct me to the right one), has anyone recently gone through Honolulu Airport for first point of entry with their CR1/IR1? I'm currently deciding between arriving at HNL or SFO as a layover and wanted to see anyone's recent experiences with customs there? :D 

Thank you!

Just to add, don't lose faith if the passport is not sent out on the Friday immediately following the interview, as mine was sent out 2+ weeks after said interview even though the visa was "issued" the day after the interview. 

Had the interview last Wednesday, but got caught out by a missing field on the I-864 form (affidavit of support). Our joint/financial sponsor is retired so selected retired and didn't fill out the Annual Income. We are doing it based on income as opposed to assets because he still has some income from his business, and thought tax returns would be easier than getting all the proof of assets together (possibly not at this point). Silly mistake I should have caught, oh well.

Fortunately the Consular Officer said everything else was good so they held on to my passport and asked me to resubmit the form. Resubmitted the same afternoon, and now we wait (at least we're getting good at that part!). Unfortunate timing with them being closed on the last Friday of the month, and then Memorial Day yesterday. Hopefully that's the last thing that needs to be sorted -- been apart from my wife & 2 year old for 2 months now, so hopefully not too much longer 🙁 ... or at least I get my passport back so I can visit them.

Edited by kiwipete
add detail

On 5/24/2023 at 4:54 PM, chevin said:

Thank you!

We've been through there a couple of times recently, once on a visitor visa as a family, and my wife and son recently (both US citizens). Immigration was straight forward, and lines in my experience a bit shorter than SFO (I lived in SF on a work visa previously, so went through immigration there a few times). The SFO lines vary a lot depending on which long-haul flights arrive at the same time/before you. For HNL the issue (from what I remember) is it's a bit of a hike between the international/domestic terminal, so you just need to factor in that time + immigration time if you have a short time between connections. This is mainly relevant if you're booking something like NZAA-KHNL-KOAK - my wife did this recently with our son and they just made it through customs etc. and to the domestic flight. If my visa's approved, I'm planning to go that way (NZAA-KHNL-KOAK) but going to try and book the domestic flight separately to get a longer connection.

Edited by kiwipete

3 hours ago, kiwipete said:

Had the interview last Wednesday, but got caught out by a missing field on the I-864 form (affidavit of support). Our joint/financial sponsor is retired so selected retired and didn't fill out the Annual Income. We are doing it based on income as opposed to assets because he still has some income from his business, and thought tax returns would be easier than getting all the proof of assets together (possibly not at this point). Silly mistake I should have caught, oh well.

Fortunately the Consular Officer said everything else was good so they held on to my passport and asked me to resubmit the form. Resubmitted the same afternoon, and now we wait (at least we're getting good at that part!). Unfortunate timing with them being closed on the last Friday of the month, and then Memorial Day yesterday. Hopefully that's the last thing that needs to be sorted -- been apart from my wife & 2 year old for 2 months now, so hopefully not too much longer 🙁 ... or at least I get my passport back so I can visit them.

Hey @kiwipete

We had a similar issue with the affidavit of support. We did it based on income, but since my partner only has foreign earned income here in NZ, we had to provide proof of assets. We uploaded the documentation the same day to CEAC and the officer kept my passport as well which is a good sign! 

When I went on the case tracker our status it still says Administrative Processing. Interested in hearing when everyone else’s status changes to issued and when their passports are shipped out! We’ll keep everyone up to date too. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.