Yan yan

Information required! Stepchild of USC

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey VJ fam,

My hubby petitioned for me when he was a LPR back in 2018.. It got approved in January 2020, I have a son before marriage and he now wants to petition for him (he's also here in the states with us). Last evening he gave me the go ahead to do the petition online (ofc with him right by my side) but after filling out majority of the document, we became stuck at the uploading of documents part of it. Not all applies to us, but I'm still a bit confused. These are our options of documents for evidence of relationships:-

1.Proof of us citizenship- we uploaded certificate 

2. Childs BC- this was uploaded asw

3. Proof of marriage to childs mother- uploaded marriage cert

4. Proof of legal termination of prior marriages- N/a to us

5. Proof of parent-child relationship- Clueless 

6. Proof of stepparent/stepchild relationship- not sure if I was supposed to upload the marriage cert and sons bc again but I did.🤦‍♀️

7. Proof of legal name change: n/a

Then it asks for secondary evidence if a reqd document is UNAVAILABLE

Such as religious record, school record, census records or affidavits. 

We are a bit clueless as to some parts of this: I've highlighted the confusing issues above. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

If you are filling in i130 i assume you read the i130 instructions carefully!!

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
9 hours ago, arken said:

If you are filling in i130 i assume you read the i130 instructions carefully!!

Uhm, reading the instructions is one thing however we can both agree that at times we still need further assistance hence the reason I made the post.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
1 hour ago, Yan yan said:

Uhm, reading the instructions is one thing however we can both agree that at times we still need further assistance hence the reason I made the post.

They were pretty straightforward per instructions so was just checking. 
For your confusions.

5. Parent child- N/A, that's for a parent and his/her child

6. You did exactly what the instruction says.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

2 minutes ago, AliJho said:

I believe proof of parent/child relationship is the child's birth certificate that shows you listed on there as parent and as for proof of child/stepparent relationship, maybe pictures together and any other proof that the step parent is playing the role of a parent.

No.  The step-parent/child relationship evidence is the child's BC and the marriage certificate of the birth parent and step parent, which shows that the qualifying marriage occurred on a date before the child turned 18.  That's it.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

No.  The step-parent/child relationship evidence is the child's BC and the marriage certificate of the birth parent and step parent, which shows that the qualifying marriage occurred on a date before the child turned 18.  That's it.

I'm very grateful for this information. So assuming that since I've already uploaded the marriage,  naturalization and birth certificate, i dont need to upload them 2 and 3 times again. When doing the online application, I didn't see where it asks for passport photos. Furthermore is a cover letter necessary to do for this purpose?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
35 minutes ago, Yan yan said:

I'm very grateful for this information. So assuming that since I've already uploaded the marriage,  naturalization and birth certificate, i dont need to upload them 2 and 3 times again. When doing the online application, I didn't see where it asks for passport photos. Furthermore is a cover letter necessary to do for this purpose?

Passport photos of whom?

Cover letter is never required 

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

Passport photos of whom?

Cover letter is never required 

With a paper based application passport photos is required of the sponsor and usually the beneficiary however in this case, I didn't see where that option was given for an online app.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Yan yan said:

With a paper based application passport photos is required of the sponsor and usually the beneficiary however in this case, I didn't see where that option was given for an online app.

A careful read of the instructions would indicate passport photos are only required for spousal petitions.  

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

A careful read of the instructions would indicate passport photos are only required for spousal petitions.  

Okay Thanks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.