Disfan01

Flying into the US

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Disfan01 said:

right now, they’re requiring a negative COVID test within 3 days of departure.

That is true for your stepson since he'll be traveling with an Immigrant Visa. But your stepson's mother cannot enter the US (*unless she is somehow exempt) if she has been physically present in South Africa during the 14-day period preceding her attempted entry into the US: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/covid-19-travel-restrictions-and-exceptions.html

53 minutes ago, HRQX said:

That is true for your stepson since he'll be traveling with an Immigrant Visa. But your stepson's mother cannot enter the US (*unless she is somehow exempt) if she has been physically present in South Africa during the 14-day period preceding her attempted entry into the US: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/covid-19-travel-restrictions-and-exceptions.html

Oh wow.  Thanks for that info.  I hadn’t heard this.  I’ll pass it on and we will have to possibly look at another solution if the proclamation is still in place. 

Yep, must stay current  on the covid restrictions, for sure.

Nice @HRQX

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

1 hour ago, Disfan01 said:

Oh wow.  Thanks for that info.  I hadn’t heard this.

She has the option of going to Costa Rica, or Panama, etc. with her son for 14 days and then travel directly from the unrestricted country to the US:

South Africans have visa-free access to Costa Rica:

Also to Panama:

Edited by HRQX

12 hours ago, HRQX said:

She has the option of going to Costa Rica, or Panama, etc. with her son for 14 days and then travel directly from the unrestricted country to the US:

South Africans have visa-free access to Costa Rica:

Also to Panama:

it is one heck of a hassle to get to either of those from SA though. It may be better to go through one of the non-schengen European countries, though that may require visas. Turkey and Serbia seem to be the two popular options for this.  Unless Turkey has changed its rules since I last went they have visas on arrival for South Africans, and unless Turkish airlines has changed its routing there should be direct flights to Istanbul from SA.  Not sure what the current Covid situation in Turkey is.  I don’t think there are direct flights to Serbia but it will likely still be an easier connection than getting to Central America.

Edited by SusieQQQ

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, we are hopefully getting close to flight time.  Our interview is scheduled for August 5th.

upon rereading the presidential proclamation, it seems as though our sons mom should still be able to accompany him on his flight. Am I reading section IV correctly? Or am I missing something? 

(b)  The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
Sec. 2.  Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry. 

(a)  Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i)     any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii)    any noncitizen national of the United States;

(iii)   any noncitizen who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iv)    any noncitizen who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

17 minutes ago, Disfan01 said:

Am I reading section IV correctly? Or am I missing something?

Your son will not have I-551 type document when boarding the US-bound flight as he will not be a LPR at that moment. Thus his mom will not be exempt to the proclamation (I'm assuming she doesn't have another child that is a USC or LPR). The airlines use Timatic: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Edited by HRQX

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Your son will not have I-551 type document when boarding the US-bound flight as he will not be a LPR at that moment. Thus his mom will not be exempt to the proclamation (I'm assuming she doesn't have another child that is a USC or LPR). The airlines use Timatic: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

Ugh, thanks for the clarification.  Was hoping it was when he was issued the visa rather than upon landing. 

so, to be technical, she could bring him as far as Mexico, then we meet her there and bring him back to the states.  Once he’s in the states with us, she would be able to come as the parent of an LPR?  Not that that’s really a likely scenario, but she was hoping to come for the week or two before and when he starts school, just to help him get settled and meet his teachers.  But she wouldn’t have enough vacation time to spend 2 weeks in Mexico and then 2 weeks here. 

Edited by Disfan01

26 minutes ago, Disfan01 said:

so, to be technical, she could bring him as far as Mexico, then we meet her there and bring him back to the states.

Actually, that is good idea (assuming there are flights to Mexico that don't transit the US). With her US visitor visa she can visit Mexico: https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/australia/index.php/visitorvisa "If you currently hold a valid multiple entry visa from Canada, the United States of America, Japan, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or any of the countries that make up the Schengen Area, as long as you do not stay in Mexico for more than 180 days nor work in Mexico, and that your visa is valid during your entire stay in Mexico."

If you bring him back via land POE then you guys won't need negative COVID-19 tests. The tests are only required when flying-in.

26 minutes ago, Disfan01 said:

Once he’s in the states with us, she would be able to come as the parent of an LPR?

Yes, that should work. The CBP-endorsed IV will be his I-551 document. But she would need to fly from Mexico to the US. Tourists generally cannot cross via land POE right now: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/06/23/2021-13235/notification-of-temporary-travel-restrictions-applicable-to-land-ports-of-entry-and-ferries-service And she'll need the above mentioned negative COVID-19 test when boarding the US-bound flight.

4 hours ago, Disfan01 said:

Ugh, thanks for the clarification.  Was hoping it was when he was issued the visa rather than upon landing. 

so, to be technical, she could bring him as far as Mexico, then we meet her there and bring him back to the states.  Once he’s in the states with us, she would be able to come as the parent of an LPR?  Not that that’s really a likely scenario, but she was hoping to come for the week or two before and when he starts school, just to help him get settled and meet his teachers.  But she wouldn’t have enough vacation time to spend 2 weeks in Mexico and then 2 weeks here. 

I have not read back in the thread - can one of you not go and fetch him, then his mom can follow on a flight soon after once she can obtain proof of a minor LPR child?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My niece flew here from the Philippines as unaccompanied minor and she was 12 then(flight was 13 hours non-stop from Manila to San Francisco) she did fine, there's unaccompanied minor services with the airlines that you can arrange, maybe look into this option if mom could not take him here. The airline staff accompanied her all the time until we met her at the arrival area in San Francisco. Something to look into as another option. She was petitioned by my ex sister in law/step mom as LPR.

Edited by LexieJ
additional infor

5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I have not read back in the thread - can one of you not go and fetch him, then his mom can follow on a flight soon after once she can obtain proof of a minor LPR child?

That would be ideal, but unfortunately my husband won’t have enough vacation days from work. We also have a 3 year old who is my shadow at the moment, so I couldn’t fly alone and I’m not sure my sanity could handle flying for 4 days with a toddler on my own.  If it comes down to it, dad may have to take a few unpaid days. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.