Disfan01

Flying into the US

40 posts in this topic

Bit of maybe an odd question, but quick backstory first.. I am a US citizen and my husband is an LPR. We are now living in the US and in the process of bringing my stepson to live with us here. We are currently waiting on our paperwork to clear NVC but trying to get prepared for the rest of the process. My husband is planning to fly back to South Africa when our son goes for his interview, as we really don’t want to mail our original documents (it took almost a year to get our marriage certificate from Home Affairs, and we only have one copy). When it comes time to fly into the US, my stepsons mom was planning to bring him to us.  There are several reasons for this. We aren’t sure my husband would be able to get off work again long enough to make the trip and I can’t easily go myself because we have a young toddler as well. She also has friends this side she is planning to visit anyway.  

so my question is, is it likely to cause any problems at POE if his mom travels with him?  She does have a good history of visiting and leaving well within the visitors timeframe. She also has ties to SA (another child and owns property that side).  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Disfan01 said:

She does have a good history of visiting and leaving well within the visitors timeframe. She also has ties to SA (another child and owns property that side).  

Sounds like she already has a visa?

16 minutes ago, Skyman said:

Sounds like she already has a visa?

She does have a visitors visa.  I just thought they may question at POE if she would really be leaving him here with us and returning home. 

IF she has a visa and good visa-respecting reputation, and ties, sure, no worries.

But, if you are doing DCF, and your husband will travel to SA for the interview, his visa and passport might be available very quickly, and he could just return with him.

I imagine you are just planning what-ifs now, but if things work well...the mother might not need to bring him at all. Is that your preference?

Question - How are you doing DCF? Who is the resident South African in this case?

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

7 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

IF she has a visa and good visa-respecting reputation, and ties, sure, no worries.

But, if you are doing DCF, and the father will travel to SA for the interview, the son's visa and passport might be available very quickly, and he could just return with the son.

I imagine you are just planning what-ifs now, but if things work well...the mother might not need to bring him at all. Is that your preference?

We did DCF for my husband’s visa but since we are living in the US now so we went the traditional route for filing for our son. I’m not sure if that makes a difference in the timeframe to receiving the visa after the interview.  It would be great if it were ready and he could just fly back with my husband. Even better would be if everything were finished in time for school to start this year, lol. 

Ah, got it. Kool! (I kinda figured that out after I sent the post, but was too late to revise it..sorry.)

Yes, so regular processing for the son. All sounds good to me.

Yes, if you do not get thrown into an extended Administrative Processing phase, the visa and passport might be ready in no time (don't know about SA at this time).

Best wishes to you.

Edited by Suze1

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Disfan01 said:

She does have a visitors visa.  I just thought they may question at POE if she would really be leaving him here with us and returning home. 

You are over thinking.  It really is not there job to question the motivation behind an immigrant visa.  That is done by the consulate before it is even issued 

YMMV

That fact that you are thinking through all these issues now is great!

Since you can't really buy tickets for your son before the visa approval,  you can play it by ear.

Just check into how long to get visa after visa interview. 

Might be able to have husband bring him AND he will be here ready for school!!! WIN-WIN!

And yes, can see the concern about "the mom"  bringing the son...and the question of "Why? Is this a sneaky way for her to immigrate..ex-husband here..no son-at-home-ties etc..". We get it.

No worries on that, I'd say.

How old is the son, by the way?

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

4 hours ago, Suze1 said:

That fact that you are thinking through all these issues now is great!

Since you can't really buy tickets for your son before the visa approval,  you can play it by ear.

Just check into how long to get visa after visa interview. 

Might be able to have husband bring him AND he will be here ready for school!!! WIN-WIN!

And yes, can see the concern about "the mom"  bringing the son...and the question of "Why? Is this a sneaky way for her to immigrate..ex-husband here..no son-at-home-ties etc..". We get it.

No worries on that, I'd say.

How old is the son, by the way?

That’s exactly what I was wondering.  If an immigration officer this side may question if she will be really leaving after dropping him off to us. (She is, but they don’t know her from Adam, as my mom used to say). I may ask her to bring proof of her job and that she owns several properties in SA, just that she has something in hand if they ask her to prove ties to SA.  Plus, we will all be at the airport waiting on him if they wanted to speak to me or my husband.  He just turned 11, so the idea of sending him on an international flight with layovers isn’t something any of us are comfortable with, not to mention sitting in that immigration office by himself. Not that the officers were horrible (at least when we arrived, the officer was very nice) but it could definitely be intimidating. 

Absolutely! Totally get you.

The first time I left the country by plane alone I was 14.

Kudos for thinking/imaging things through.

You should be MORE than fine.

Just be as prepared for the flight as you were to get the tourist visa the first time.

And be ready at both ends of the flight - Departure and Arrival.

What about covid issues from SA for the mom? What is up with that, at this point?

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

48 minutes ago, Suze1 said:

Absolutely! Totally get you.

The first time I left the country by plane alone I was 14.

Kudos for thinking/imaging things through.

You should be MORE than fine.

Just be as prepared for the flight as you were to get the tourist visa the first time.

And be ready at both ends of the flight - Departure and Arrival.

What about covid issues from SA for the mom? What is up with that, at this point?

The first time I flew alone, I was 35 and I was nervous.  😂  I can’t imagine being a kid and doing that. 

I can’t help but read, study, overthink, plan and obsess, lol. I can’t wait to see our little boy again.  It’s been over a year since we’ve been able to see him. Stupid COVID.  

right now, they’re requiring a negative COVID test within 3 days of departure.  SA is unfortunately going through a surge at the moment and they’re threatening to increase restrictions again.  So we shall see closer to the time I guess. Fingers crossed! 

8 minutes ago, Disfan01 said:

The first time I flew alone, I was 35 and I was nervous.  😂  I can’t imagine being a kid and doing that. 

I can’t help but read, study, overthink, plan and obsess, lol. I can’t wait to see our little boy again.  It’s been over a year since we’ve been able to see him. Stupid COVID.  

right now, they’re requiring a negative COVID test within 3 days of departure.  SA is unfortunately going through a surge at the moment and they’re threatening to increase restrictions again.  So we shall see closer to the time I guess. Fingers crossed! 

Yes, indeed.

SPOUSE flew to East Africa with family at 16.  Lived in Tanzania and Kenya (father was a UN diplomat). Never made it to SA, but know quite a few.

Yes, the world is a real mess right now, covid and otherwise. You are doing the right things.

Forward and Upward.

Edited by Suze1

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

1 hour ago, Suze1 said:

Yes, indeed.

SPOUSE flew to East Africa with family at 16.  Lived in Tanzania and Kenya (father was a UN diplomat). Never made it to SA, but know quite a few.

Yes, the world is a real mess right now, covid and otherwise. You are doing the right things.

Forward and Upward.

I’ve never been to any other African countries, but I lived with hubs in SA for 5 years.  Beautiful country and lovely people. 

thanks so much for all your encouragement!

@Disfan01 Absolutely, on all fronts. Beautiful country, people...indeed.

You are most welcome.

Forward & Upward!

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Have lived in East and West Africa. Been to North Africa as well. 28 countries in all. Lived in 10!

Know a few Presidents, Ambassadors, Heads of State...etc.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

PETITIONER (from NYC)

SUMMARY TIMELINE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.