Kudla

I-131/Re-Entry Permit?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I was outside US for nearly 6 months and came back recently. I would have to travel in another 2 - 3 months for another couple of months. So, am considering applying for re-entry permit.

- What are the chance of getting 'Notice of Receipt' within 2 - 3 months?
- How does USCIS determine to apply previous biometrics to the current application? The latest biometrics taken off me was in 2017.
- Can we travel outside US with 'Notice of Receipt'?

Please advise!

Edited by Kudla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kudla said:

I was outside US for nearly 6 months and came back recently. I would have to travel in another 2 - 3 months for another couple of months. So, am considering applying for re-entry permit.

- How does USCIS determine to apply previous biometrics to the current application? The latest biometrics taken off me was in 2017.

Please advise!

1. Your NOA1 should only take 2-3 weeks 

2. seems a random decision

3. don’t leave until biometrics are done unless you can return for  biometrics. 

The reentry permit takes 6-8 months. Possibly not going to be issued before you return if you are leaving in 2-3 months and only staying out for 2-3 months.  Also not necessarily useful unless you are out of the country for >12 months or have very weak links to life here in the US 

Timeline
12 hours ago, Lil bear said:

1. Your NOA1 should only take 2-3 weeks 

2. seems a random decision

3. don’t leave until biometrics are done unless you can return for  biometrics. 

The reentry permit takes 6-8 months. Possibly not going to be issued before you return if you are leaving in 2-3 months and only staying out for 2-3 months.  Also not necessarily useful unless you are out of the country for >12 months or have very weak links to life here in the US 

Few others on the forum had an experience 3 - 4 months for notice of receipt. So, has this been accelerated now?

I wouldn't be staying more than 6 months for sure BUT am worried coz I came off a six month stay outside and would travel again in another 2 months for a stay outside of 3 months.
I have paid my taxes as resident all the while, have bank account, driving license and also mobile telephone active. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kudla said:

Few others on the forum had an experience 3 - 4 months for notice of receipt. So, has this been accelerated now?

I wouldn't be staying more than 6 months for sure BUT am worried coz I came off a six month stay outside and would travel again in another 2 months for a stay outside of 3 months.
I have paid my taxes as resident all the while, have bank account, driving license and also mobile telephone active. 

I did my reentry permit last august .. got my NOA1 within 2 weeks. Just my experience 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 6/28/2021 at 8:18 AM, Lil bear said:

I did my reentry permit last august .. got my NOA1 within 2 weeks. Just my experience 

So, I had sent my I-131 application(RP) on 06/28 by UPS to USCIS office in TX.  My check was cashed on 07/07 and this morning I received the NOA from 'Nebraska Service Center'.

But when I see the processing time for I-131 at 'Nebraska', it says 5 - 7.5 months. Does it take such long? Why so much difference between Nebraska and Texas(5 weeks - 5 months)?

Any here, have their recent experience with 'Nebraska', please? 

Edited by Kudla

Timeline
1 hour ago, Kudla said:

So, I had sent my I-131 application(RP) on 06/28 by UPS to USCIS office in TX.  My check was cashed on 07/07 and this morning I received the NOA from 'Nebraska Service Center'.

But when I see the processing time for I-131 at 'Nebraska', it says 5 - 7.5 months. Does it take such long? Why so much difference between Nebraska and Texas(5 weeks - 5 months)?

Any here, have their recent experience with 'Nebraska', please? 

Yes it does take that long The first one is the time when 50% of applications are processed and the second is when 90% are processed. I received my Nebraska processed reentry permit 5.5 months after I applied. Applied August 2020, approved late January 2021 

Timeline
18 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Yes it does take that long The first one is the time when 50% of applications are processed and the second is when 90% are processed. I received my Nebraska processed reentry permit 5.5 months after I applied. Applied August 2020, approved late January 2021 

So, considering that I had last provided the biometrics in Feb 2017 would they apply the same for this application? If so, can I travel outside US with NOA?

If NOT, how much time it might take for them to issue the biometrics appointment from the NOA date?

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Kudla said:

So, considering that I had last provided the biometrics in Feb 2017 would they apply the same for this application? If so, can I travel outside US with NOA?

If NOT, how much time it might take for them to issue the biometrics appointment from the NOA date?

Anybody’s guess as to actual timing. Generally, by 6 weeks after you get your NOA1, you will be advised of either a biometrics appt date and time OR that they are reusing prior biometrics. I do not know their criteria for reusing. You can leave the country before the bio appt etc if you are able to return for the appt 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On 6/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, Kudla said:

Please advise!

You just need to stay for biometrics

I dont see a need for a travel document here.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

You just need to stay for biometrics

I dont see a need for a travel document here.

So, I need to stay until I receive the notice for biometrics. 

Why would you think I do NOT need the travel document?
I have been traveling more in the recent past and once in 2019, I had a stamp on PP saying I stayed beyond 6 months. The last travel outside was for nearly 6 months(Jan - Jun 21) and might travel again in couple of months BUT for max of 3 months. So, these frequent travels makes me jittery at POE and hence this travel document(Return Permit). 

Timeline
On 7/13/2021 at 4:53 PM, Lil bear said:

Anybody’s guess as to actual timing. Generally, by 6 weeks after you get your NOA1, you will be advised of either a biometrics appt date and time OR that they are reusing prior biometrics. I do not know their criteria for reusing. You can leave the country before the bio appt etc if you are able to return for the appt 

So, I could see this update for my I-131 application, this morning.

'As of July 22, 2021, fingerprints relating to your Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, Receipt Number LINXXX, have been applied to your case. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.'.

So considering, I came into US, 5 weeks back, can I travel out of US now and get the return permit shipped to me, as and when I receive the same?

Edited by Kudla

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Kudla said:

'As of July 22, 2021, fingerprints relating to your Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, Receipt Number LINXXX, have been applied to your case. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.'.

So considering, I came into US, 5 weeks back, can I travel out of US now and get the return permit shipped to me, as and when I receive the same?

Yes. No idea when. It is sent to the consulate I believe. Not sure what you have to do to arrange that 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Yes. No idea when. It is sent to the consulate I believe. Not sure what you have to do to arrange that 

My question was about travel outside US, as there is NO need for biometrics appointment now. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kudla said:

My question was about travel outside US, as there is NO need for biometrics appointment now. 

Answered. Yes you are ok to travel now ,, 

Timeline
On 7/23/2021 at 2:27 PM, Kudla said:

Fingerprints relating to your Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, Receipt Number LINXXX, have been applied to your case. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.'.

Also, could any here please provide approximate time duration for dispatch of 'return permit' from completion of biometrics? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.