Ajocarajo

U.S. passport for child (split)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello All,

My now wife came to the USA with  a fiancé visa K1 and my step son under k2. All went very smooth thanks to the post here we were able to navigate the ins and out of the immigration process, for that we thank you all, needless to say that we are here once more as we have hit a wall with no direction to take looking for advice. Also we have procced my step Son green card without a problem from USCIS.

As mentioned my step Son came here with a K2 visa attached to my wife, she has now become a citizen and applied for passport without a problem for her. As for my step Son, the passport office is asking for a letter of consent from the biological father.

We have no way to communicating with him, we don't even know where he is. My wife is from Philippines and there under article 213 a child younger that 7 is to stay with the mother if the child is illegitimate. my now wife and the biological father of my step son never married.

Does anyone here knows how to go about this?

thank you in advance for your help

Alex

6 hours ago, Ajocarajo said:

Hello All,

My now wife came to the USA with  a fiancé visa K1 and my step son under k2. All went very smooth thanks to the post here we were able to navigate the ins and out of the immigration process, for that we thank you all, needless to say that we are here once more as we have hit a wall with no direction to take looking for advice. Also we have procced my step Son green card without a problem from USCIS.

As mentioned my step Son came here with a K2 visa attached to my wife, she has now become a citizen and applied for passport without a problem for her. As for my step Son, the passport office is asking for a letter of consent from the biological father.

We have no way to communicating with him, we don't even know where he is. My wife is from Philippines and there under article 213 a child younger that 7 is to stay with the mother if the child is illegitimate. my now wife and the biological father of my step son never married.

Does anyone here knows how to go about this?

thank you in advance for your help

Alex

I would try the Philippine sub-forum to see if anyone there has run into this problem.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Finally done.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post split to it's own thread and moved to Passports ect..~~

Check out this forum as this comes up often. You most likely need to get the official law printed out and link to the website to explain how it works in the PI

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Under Philippine law, if the child is born illegitimate, the mother holds all the rights and no letter of consent is needed from the biological father. See the thread below for more information.

You can research the Family Code of the Philippines and bring it to the passport office if needed. They should accept that.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:38 AM, Ajocarajo said:

My wife is from Philippines and there under article 213 a child younger that 7 is to stay with the mother if the child is illegitimate. my now wife and the biological father of my step son never married.

The relevant provision for your step-child's case is actually Article 176 of the Family Code.  Attach a copy of that to a letter explaining to the passport office that Philippine law guarantees that your wife has sole legal custody.

You might be able to adopt this child in the U.S.    - without the father's permission.   It may be expensive.   I was able to do my own adoption for a few hundred dollars in Florida.   We did find the father and he signed off but there are other alternatives.

Good luck.  I know how frustrating it is to grope for answers when you are in unfamiliar territory.

21 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

You might be able to adopt this child in the U.S.

While the OP may indeed want to go through step-parent adoption for other reasons, it is not necessary for proving that his wife already has sole legal custody of her child, due to the circumstances of the child's birth in the Philippines.

3 minutes ago, Chancy said:

While the OP may indeed want to go through step-parent adoption for other reasons, it is not necessary for proving that his wife already has sole legal custody of her child, due to the circumstances of the child's birth in the Philippines.

Probably not, but it ends all sorts of custody questions.  I was very happy to get our adoption finalized.   Not to mention that it made my daughter an instant U.S. citizen. :).  For the $400 I think I spent, it was well worth it.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:02 PM, medic5678 said:

You might be able to adopt this child in the U.S.    - without the father's permission.   It may be expensive.   I was able to do my own adoption for a few hundred dollars in Florida.   We did find the father and he signed off but there are other alternatives.

Good luck.  I know how frustrating it is to grope for answers when you are in unfamiliar territory.

How much did the adoption cost?

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

1 hour ago, Amadia said:

How much did the adoption cost?

I did it for very little, because I did it myself.   It's surprisingly simple, if all parties are willing.  Of course, this will have to be done according to your state.   The child must be legally present in the U.S. at the time of adoption.

I think I paid $400 in court filing fees but there were other expenses.  You'll have to pay other agencies various fees for things such as a search of the putative father.  I'd say I did it for $800 or so in the state of Florida.  When we got to court, it was very simple. 

The judge was awesome.   I had a female judge, and I was stepping up to be the father to a little girl who had never had a father in her life.  Her entire staff treated us wonderfully.  It was a very happy day in our lives :).

5 minutes ago, medic5678 said:

I did it for very little, because I did it myself.   It's surprisingly simple, if all parties are willing.  Of course, this will have to be done according to your state.   The child must be legally present in the U.S. at the time of adoption.

I think I paid $400 in court filing fees but there were other expenses.  You'll have to pay other agencies various fees for things such as a search of the putative father.  I'd say I did it for $800 or so in the state of Florida.  When we got to court, it was very simple. 

The judge was awesome.   I had a female judge, and I was stepping up to be the father to a little girl who had never had a father in her life.  Her entire staff treated us wonderfully.  It was a very happy day in our lives :).

I'm in Florida too....I'll DM you. 

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.