Trish_

Proof of bonafide relationship

9 posts in this topic

Hello, we are at the NVC stage of the K1 visa process and I am worried about not having enough proof of our ongoing relationship. We submitted photos call logs and texts of our first year together and of the first time we met. We have since only met one more time due to the pandemic. 
We filed in September 2020 - so roughly 9 months ago and I am wondering what evidence is needed to prove that we are still in a relationship. We spend our time on the phone constantly, but it’s all FaceTime and I have cleared my phone log on multiple occasions. We used telegram in the beginning but stopped using it months ago. If we don’t have call logs or texts to show proof, what can we do?

4 hours ago, Trish_ said:

Hello, we are at the NVC stage of the K1 visa process and I am worried about not having enough proof of our ongoing relationship. We submitted photos call logs and texts of our first year together and of the first time we met. We have since only met one more time due to the pandemic. 
We filed in September 2020 - so roughly 9 months ago and I am wondering what evidence is needed to prove that we are still in a relationship. We spend our time on the phone constantly, but it’s all FaceTime and I have cleared my phone log on multiple occasions. We used telegram in the beginning but stopped using it months ago. If we don’t have call logs or texts to show proof, what can we do?

What country?   There’s not much you can do at this point, unless you’ve had subsequent in-person visits since filing.   If that is the case, definitely take anything additional related to that visit.  Consular officers are not required to consider anything brought to the interview, which is why people going through high-fraud countries are often encouraged to front-load the petition, have multiple visits etc.

Chat logs are not that useful anyway, and like I said -likely won’t really be looked at during the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, Trish_ said:

We also only used FaceTime and mostly video chatted. Here is what I did (we only met once in real life for 6 days right before the pandemic, but we were approved and he arrives in 2 days!):

I went through every month of the chat and took a few screenshots of interesting conversation if there was any mention of real life topics, or just screenshots showing how long/often the video calls are.

We snapped pictures often during our calls which showed us side-by-side; with our pets, kids/other family members, one person cooking, one person doing any other normal thing in life, brushing our teeth together, being silly together, etc. I had a separate section for this with some of those photos every month showing that we share every aspect of our lives with each other.

Photos of gifts we bought and receipts even though we hadn’t given them to each other in real life yet. I explained the significance of the gifts. Some were personalized etc.

Just a couple screenshots of conversations we’ve had with members of the other’s families.

A few screenshots of things we posted on Facebook showing relationship status or togetherness where you can see comment/reaction counts to show the relationship is not secret.

Just get creative with any evidence specific to your relationship. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Bona fide relationship evidence is not required for a K-1 visa.  Sometimes the officers want to see such evidence but this is consulate/embassy specific, usually for high-fraud countries and cases with one or more red flags.  In most cases it is not necessary.  The most important evidence is to show you met at least once in person, two years or less from the I-129F filing date, such as passport stamps, original boarding passes, hotel receipts, and a few photos together.  You also need to submit each of your letters stating your intent is to get married within 90 days of arrival in the US on the K-1.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you're at the NVC stage,  they accepted your evidence

Please do a timeline and tell the VJ community what country this is for/that helps answer your questions

2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

If you're at the NVC stage,  they accepted your evidence

Please do a timeline and tell the VJ community what country this is for/that helps answer your questions

It’s a K-1, not CR-1.   All the ‘evidence’ is sent with the petition- nothing is submitted to NVC for K-1s.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It’s a K-1, not CR-1.   All the ‘evidence’ is sent with the petition- nothing is submitted to NVC for K-1s.

i just quoted the OP as she is at NVC so the evidence is already accepted

9 hours ago, Trish_ said:

Thank you, all! I think I’ve got enough evidence to go forward with if they ask for anything further at the interview.

May seem pedantic but you are talking about evidence, not proof. You cannot “prove” that the relationship is genuine as that would require someone to be able to read your mind. At best you can bring evidence of a genuine relationship to the embassy but for many places this is not required or expected. 

The K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa so the bar is not set as high as it is for a spousal visa. Your real test of whether the relationship appears bona fide will be during the adjustment of status process. For that you will need a lot more evidence than you do for a K-1. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.