nickandkat

Starting a new job soon but am really worried about the I-9. Is the expired GC + extension letter good enough?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey guys, I hope you can help me with my predicament.

Here is my current situation:

Start date of new job: June 16th

Green card: Expires June 14th

Driver's License: Expires June 14th, but is also lost (I have a paper replacement update card). Will immediately go to the DMV to get a it renewed/replaced once I get the extension letter.

Social Security Card: I think I have it somewhere, but it has "Valid for Employment only with DHS Authorization" written on it.

Extension letter: Hopefully arriving soon. I have recently filed I-751, and my credit card was charged the 680$ on May 30th. Based on current timelines, I am predicting the letter to arrive within the next few days (fingers crossed). Informed delivery hasn't shown anything yet.

Has anyone else been in a similarly messed up situation? I know I shouldn't have procrastinated so much, but I hope and pray that everything will work out.

So what would you guys do if you were in my situation? I still have two weeks. Would you just submit the expired GC + extension letter combo when it arrives?

Should’ve 1. Updated your SS card to remove valid with DHS authorization only and 2. Updated your DL. 

All ever needed is unrestricted SSN card and DL to satisfy I-9. I never showed my GC. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
Just now, milimelo said:

Should’ve 1. Updated your SS card to remove valid with DHS authorization only and 2. Updated your DL. 

All ever needed is unrestricted SSN card and DL to satisfy I-9. I never showed my GC. 

Yeah I know, but that's not helpful to me right now. No offense.

I already know I messed up, what should I do now to make sure it will be fine?

5 minutes ago, nickandkat said:

Yeah I know, but that's not helpful to me right now. No offense.

I already know I messed up, what should I do now to make sure it will be fine?

@nickandkat, your expired green card and extension letter should suffice. There is a good chance that the Human Resources representative may not be familiar with it. Be prepared to explain it. If they use e-verify, the e-verify system should confirm that you are authorized to work in the US. 

By the way, you should be able to go to the Social Security Administration before your green card expires and request an updated Social Security Card. That is of course, if they are open to the public. It's worth trying. 

Edited by USC4SPOUSE

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@nickandkat, your expired green card and extension letter should suffice. There is a good chance that the Human Resources representative may not be familiar with it. Be prepared to explain it. If they use e-verify, the e-verify system should confirm that you are authorized to work in the US. 

By the way, you should be able to go to the Social Security Administration before your green card expires and request an updated Social Security Card. That is of course, if they are open to the public. It's worth trying. 

Thank you! I really hope you're right and they accept it.

I will go to the SSA office as well to try and get an updated card. I read in another thread that your green card has to be valid for more than 14 days, but it can't hurt to try!

1 minute ago, nickandkat said:

I will go to the SSA office as well to try and get an updated card. I read in another thread that your green card has to be valid for more than 14 days, but it can't hurt to try!

Right! @nickandkat, try that and if it does not work, then you try something else. 

I am pretty sure that you will get the NOA/extension letter within the next week or two but definitely before you start your job. USCIS cashed your check, therefore they accepted your package. You should be fine. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
4 hours ago, nickandkat said:

You can also go to e-verify website and make self check, and after completing steps, it will show that you are eligible to work. You can print this out, and show to employer if they are not convinced, and if you want to feel more relieved:)

Removal of Conditions

02/06/2021: Filed and package sent

02/10/2021: Received by USCIS

03/18/2021: NOA 1

07/01/2021: Biometrics waived

09/27/2011: Case approved, no interview (K1 visa)

Service Center: WAC

Hope you got your extension letter soon! That should suffice. 

Also, most employers nowadays do E-verify. So regardless of whether your SSN reads "not valid for work", as long as they run the Everify, they should be able to see that the SSN is valid to work. You can self-check on the SSN first to be sure. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.