4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hello Everyone, 

We can now happily, proudly, and with a GREAT relief announce that, "I am officially an American Citizen!!" It has been a long and interesting journey, and we're glad it is now finally over. A MASSIVE and heartfelt thank you for EVERY Visa Journey member that post and/or answer questions here. It's been a very helpful resource and a wealth of information. THANK YOU. 

I'm writing this post to hopefully inform applicants who will be attending their Oath Ceremony at the Federal Building's Courtyard in Downtown Los Angeles, CA.

ARRIVAL

My appointment was at 9am, but I arrived at the venue at approximately 8:30am. Instead of entering the building, as you would if you're coming in for an interview, you should go immediately to the Courtyard in the back of the Federal Building. Apparently oath ceremony started early, I think 8am? So there were already quite a bit of queue when I arrived. There will be an agent / officer that would go up and down the queue calling specific applicant names. Those whose names were called will have to follow said agent and correct/confirm something with their application (i.e. typo/changes in name, DoB, gender, photos etc.) If your name is not being called you are fine, just stay in the queue. On the off chance that you missed the announced names, the agent who will later on verify your documents will inform you. Also if you did not receive any email or a phone call from USCIS between your final interview and oath ceremony you're most likely not on the "naughty list". No need to worry. 

ATTENDANCE

In the interview notice it was written that only the people being sworn in will be granted access into the building but apparently a lot of people bring their families and at least a plus one to their ceremony. The whole thing was outdoor, everyone was masked and kept 6 feet away form each other. I'm assuming majority, if not all, of them were vaccinated. So I am not worried. The whole thing was very relax and easy, breezy, beautiful #CoverGirl

While I was queueing there was a family of 6 in front of me (mother, father and 4 children, and only the father was being sworn in, I met him during my interview). So I guess if you want to bring your loved one(s) you can, but DO NOT quote me on that, I was just writing of what I see this morning. Please note that USCIS is not providing any 'waiting area' so if your plus one(s) need any special accommodation you are responsible to provide it to them. They may be able to sit on the garden side while you're in the queue but it'd limited space and you'd be under the sun. Also don't let your child(ren) run around or scream about, this is not a school yard. 

ATTIRE

Everyone was pretty casual / smart casual. I was wearing my favourite jacket and dress pants. I think of it as if I'm going to attend the wedding of my favourite cousin or my best friend. But if you can't find the 'even' to dress up or do anything special, there were a lot of people in polo shirts and jeans, or a shirt and jeans. Again, the whole thing was easy, breezy, beautiful #CoverGirl

If you want to wear a traditional attire you can, but be warned that you'd be standing outside and 80% of it you'd be under the sun. 

OATH TAKING

The actual ceremony happened VERY quickly, they'll verify your Notice for time and date, ask you to hand over any expired/current green card or other USCIS issued form of ID / permit, and then check your page 4 of oath notice (the one with yes/no questions), and then they hand you the "Welcome to America" white envelope and a US flag. They will point you to the area of courtyard where you'd be sworn in. Following the Oath, they'll point you to another table where you'd get your Certificate of Naturalization. Be sure to check your name, DoB, and country of birth. After verifying your details you're pretty much done. You can take a photo with your certificate in a designated area, between two American flags. 

I left the venue at approximately 9:45am. 

CLOSING: Good luck and congratulations to everyone. 

Best,

J/G

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Congratulations!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations on finishing this chapter of your life! And thank you for the detailed experience here. I am excited for my oath this Friday in the same courtyard. I am still waiting for the NOA and I have til tomorrow to receive it in my mail. If not, I will print the one they sent in my email. Again, congratulations! ❤️

Current timeline:

July 2019 - filed I-751

August 2020 - filed N400

Sept. 2020 - i-751 status "Case Was Transferred to a New Office". Transferred to NBC.

April 12, 2021 - N400 interview in LA passed (with a pending i-751)

May 20, 2021 - I-751 status changed to Approved and N400 status changed to Oath Will Be Scheduled. 🤩

May 21, 2021 - received a call and email from USCIS Los Angeles with my NOA with my oath schedule.

May 28, 2021 - oath taking schedule in USCIS DTLA office. 😍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline
17 hours ago, Gingerspike said:

Congratulations on finishing this chapter of your life! And thank you for the detailed experience here. I am excited for my oath this Friday in the same courtyard. I am still waiting for the NOA and I have til tomorrow to receive it in my mail. If not, I will print the one they sent in my email. Again, congratulations! ❤️

COngratulations, have fun at the ceremony! 

J/G

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.