Bakemma

Parents approved. How long is green card good for and how long/often can the travel outside us?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So my in laws are approved and are trying decide what’s next. How long do they have to come over with their packet? Once they get here and receive their permanent resident card how often can they travel abroad and what is a limit of how long they can stay abroad? They have a home and helpings they need to sell and another child that still lives in their home country. They want to be able to go back at least twice ( max 3 times) about 2-4 weeks during their first year of permanent residency. Is that too much time out of the us and they would risk abandoning their permanent residency?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Bakemma said:

So my in laws are approved and are trying decide what’s next. How long do they have to come over with their packet? Once they get here and receive their permanent resident card how often can they travel abroad and what is a limit of how long they can stay abroad? They have a home and helpings they need to sell and another child that still lives in their home country. They want to be able to go back at least twice ( max 3 times) about 2-4 weeks during their first year of permanent residency. Is that too much time out of the us and they would risk abandoning their permanent residency?

The visa in their passport should show the expiration date, which is typically 6 months from the date of the medical exam for the interview. They can travel back and forth as much as they like, but they should be residents here in the US and visit back home.  A month or two is ok, but if it's over a year they need to file for a re-entry permit.  Frequent 6+ month trips back would lead to CBP wondering if they have abandoned US residency.

After they arrive on their IR-5 visa, they should stay long enough to get settled before travelling back.  It will take 6+ weeks for them to get their SSN cards and physical greencards.  The visa in their passports will be endorsed and will serve as a temporary I-551 for a year if they really need to travel back right away.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bakemma said:

I have a side question for you.

Some time ago I read that after an immigrant visa interview (IR5 for instance like in your case), a beneficiary should receive some sort of a sealed packet that beneficiary should present upon arrival to the country.

But then recently I read on some other thread that apparently now these "packets" are digital and all beneficiary needs to do is bring his/her passport and visa and CBP office would be able to see all the necessary info electronically.

I am not sure which one is which. Can you share your in-laws experience? Did they get an actual packet or is it indeed a digital thing now?

12 minutes ago, StaGor said:

I have a side question for you.

Some time ago I read that after an immigrant visa interview (IR5 for instance like in your case), a beneficiary should receive some sort of a sealed packet that beneficiary should present upon arrival to the country.

But then recently I read on some other thread that apparently now these "packets" are digital and all beneficiary needs to do is bring his/her passport and visa and CBP office would be able to see all the necessary info electronically.

I am not sure which one is which. Can you share your in-laws experience? Did they get an actual packet or is it indeed a digital thing now?

FYI the question is only relevant if the same embassy is under consideration. Some but not all embassies have switched to digital packets.

1 hour ago, Bakemma said:

Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. Thank you so much! 

Make sure your parents read this , particularly the 3rd and 4th sections https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/international-travel-as-a-permanent-resident

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

They should enter the US before the expiration date of the visa issued. Once, they are admitted into the US, the visa (becomes I-551) essentially serving as their  permanent residency for 1 year.  They can then travel on the endorsed visa (even if it has expired) until they receive their physical green card in the mail. But note that, the green is meant to be used as establishing permanent residency in the US and used as tourist visa to visit the US whenever one feels like it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.