15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

We submitted our I-130/I-485 in Feb and received an RFIE regarding form I-864 yesterday. As you can see in the image below that they listed basically 3 complete different reasons.

1. Form was not submitted by the sponsor;

2. You indicated you would be using a substitute sponsor due to death of petitioner;

3. We were unable to determine who completed the I-864. 

https://imgur.com/a/68YIVt1

After review of our original form, we noticed that that we actually missed my wife’s (USC sponsor) name in the first line! I know How stupid it sounds, but I believe that was the reason. So #3 should be the correct reason.

Here’s the question - what are the first two reasons for? I can see #1 being similar to #3, but substitute sponsor due to death of petitioner? My wife is alive and well and I had never indicated such thing anywhere in my application.

I have been looking around online and most RFIE examples I found only list one reason?Can anyone help me understanding this? Are these one of those cookie cutter template they use when issuing RFIE?

Thank you for help!

Sponsor is the U.S citizen( your spouse)

the I-864 form should be completed and signed by US citizen. 

please also include (from U.S citizen) 

1. Most recent W-2

2. Most recent federal tax return 

3. 6 months paystub 

if you need a joint sponsor (under 125%), the joint sponsor will need to file another form with principal sponsor(U.S citizen)

3 minutes ago, Henry1992 said:

Sponsor is the U.S citizen( your spouse)

the I-864 form should be completed and signed by US citizen. 

please also include (from U.S citizen) 

1. Most recent W-2

2. Most recent federal tax return 

3. 6 months paystub 

if you need a joint sponsor (under 125%), the joint sponsor will need to file another form with principal sponsor(U.S citizen)

Thank you. 

We did all that, and her income is quite a bit over poverty line. So no joint sponsor is needed. We made a mistake not putting her name at the beginning of the form and I think that was the issue. 

What I don't understand is what they said that I indicated to have a substitute sponsor with my wife's death? I never said that anywhere and my wife is alive. Do you think I such just ignore  that or respond to that when I include a cover letter when responding?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, vincenzo1 said:

Hello everyone,

We submitted our I-130/I-485 in Feb and received an RFIE regarding form I-864 yesterday. As you can see in the image below that they listed basically 3 complete different reasons.

1. Form was not submitted by the sponsor;

2. You indicated you would be using a substitute sponsor due to death of petitioner;

3. We were unable to determine who completed the I-864. 

https://imgur.com/a/68YIVt1

After review of our original form, we noticed that that we actually missed my wife’s (USC sponsor) name in the first line! I know How stupid it sounds, but I believe that was the reason. So #3 should be the correct reason.

Here’s the question - what are the first two reasons for? I can see #1 being similar to #3, but substitute sponsor due to death of petitioner? My wife is alive and well and I had never indicated such thing anywhere in my application.

I have been looking around online and most RFIE examples I found only list one reason?Can anyone help me understanding this? Are these one of those cookie cutter template they use when issuing RFIE?

Thank you for help!

Most letters are generic. They include different reasons and one of the will be the reason for yours.

15 hours ago, Nelly_M said:

Can AOS be signed electronically or does it have to be a wet ink signature?

Wet ink.  The I-864 form would need to be submitted by mail anyway, so no point in digital signature.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Nelly_M said:

No, we are scanning everything and loading into CEAC including AOS

AOS is done from inside the US. There's no AOS when you're applying for a visa. If it's a K1, the AOS will be done after obtaining the visa and entering the US.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

AOS is done from inside the US. There's no AOS when you're applying for a visa. If it's a K1, the AOS will be done after obtaining the visa and entering the US.

AOS being discussed here is Affidavit of Support (i-864 or i-134) for visa processing.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
3 hours ago, Nelly_M said:

No, we are scanning everything and loading into CEAC including AOS

Can be scanned after signing with pen.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
7 minutes ago, arken said:

AOS being discussed here is Affidavit of Support (i-864 or i-134) for visa processing.

Then this is the wrong part of the forum for this question, and that causes confusion. This is the AOS (Adjustment of Status) forum from K1 only. No one here calls affidavit of support/I-864 AOS to avoid confusions like this one. Next time, they can ask on the appropriate forum to get a more appropriate answer.

Edited by Ayrton

11 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Then this is the wrong part of the forum for this question, and that causes confusion. This is the AOS (Adjustment of Status) forum from K1 only. No one here calls affidavit of support/I-864 AOS to avoid confusions like this one. Next time, they can ask on the appropriate forum to get a more appropriate answer.

My bad, sorry. I was trying to find some information on this and came upon this thread. Didn’t realize it’s K1 visa specific. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.