devusr

Marriage Certificate - Handwritten correction - Is it a problem?

6 posts in this topic

The island where I got married in the Bahamas, the marriage certificate from the Registrar General is signed by the acting assistant Register General. The "acting assistant" part is handwritten. I called the main island to get it apostilled and they said the wrong wrong person signed it. Then I talked to the Registrar General and they said the previous person resigned and the actiing assitant that signed is correct. They said they will talk to the main island and get it sorted out and get it apostilled for me.

Do you know if the certificate will be a problem because the "acting assitant" part is handwritten? The rest of the certificate has "true certified copy" wording and the signature of the acting assistant Registrar General.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, devusr said:

The island where I got married in the Bahamas, the marriage certificate from the Registrar General is signed by the acting assistant Register General. The "acting assistant" part is handwritten. I called the main island to get it apostilled and they said the wrong wrong person signed it. Then I talked to the Registrar General and they said the previous person resigned and the actiing assitant that signed is correct. They said they will talk to the main island and get it sorted out and get it apostilled for me.

Do you know if the certificate will be a problem because the "acting assitant" part is handwritten? The rest of the certificate has "true certified copy" wording and the signature of the acting assistant Registrar General.

What's the reason for a apostille?

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
4 hours ago, devusr said:

Should be fine.  Unless you have some specific obscure reason for an apostille, don't bother.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, devusr said:

I think I need it for my wife's country so might as well just get one for the US.

Thanks both for your responses.

"I think", along with "I read", and "I was told" are notoriously bad sources of information.  My advice is to get the real information from the real source.  You will find nothing in any US Immigration instruction that mentions and apostille.  In all my time here, only one specific example has been given where an apostille was needed.  It was an adoption proceeding long after immigration was complete.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I got married abroad and needed an apostille for Brazil, but I made sure it was necessary before I went through the process because it was a pain.

If you get it apostilled the handwritten part isn't an issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.