ArkansasExile

Expedited and travel ban (Split)

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Due to a terminal illness for my mother, we got my parents expedited this week to the US Embassy in London from NVC (second expedite request). 

Their interview is April 28th, medical April 29th. 

My question is one I'm having a hard time figuring out ... the 14 day regional travel ban. Assuming they are approved and sent passports back in mid-May after their interview, will they be able to travel? It seems unsure to me whether they are considered visa holders before they are admitted the first time by CBP? Can anyone advise their experiences or how we can answer this? They plan on asking at the embassy but we aren't sure whether they will be forthcoming with an answer or not

Timeline

I asked this in a June 2020 question but wasn't sure if I should make a new post or not. 

Due to a terminal illness for my mother, we got my parents expedited this week to the US Embassy in London from NVC (second expedite request). 

My question is one I'm having a hard time figuring out ... the 14 day regional travel ban. Assuming they are approved and sent passports back in mid-May after their interview, will they be able to travel? It seems unsure to me whether they are considered visa holders before they are admitted the first time by CBP? Can anyone advise their experiences or how we can answer this? They plan on asking at the embassy but we aren't sure whether they will be forthcoming with an answer or not

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 minutes ago, ArkansasExile said:

It seems unsure to me whether they are considered visa holders before they are admitted the first time by CBP?

They are visa holders. CBP stamps their passports as LPRs when they allow their admission on the visa.

15 minutes ago, ArkansasExile said:

Hi! I'd recommend creating your own topic about this, as you posted it as a reply to mine, and it's old, so a new one will get more visibility.

But! I always got a decent response from the embassy by using this https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv-contact_form/ link. 

CR-1 VISA TIMELINE (LONDON EMBASSY)

26th May 2019 — Married 💕

12th July 2019 — I-130 sent

19th July 2019 — NOA1, assigned Potomac service center

17th March 2020 — NOA2!
21st March 2020 — NVC case number received, all fees paid
25th March 2020 — Fees accepted, DS-260 completed
26th March 2020 — All NVC documents submitted
19th May 2020 — DQ!
2nd June 2020 — Expedite requested (primarily medical reasons) 
5th June 2020 — Expedite approved by embassy
8th June 2020 — Case in transit NVC --> London

9th June 2020 — Call from London to schedule interview

16th June 2020 — Interview (221G, pending medical results, everything else fine)

17th June 2020 — Medical (mostly went well but something odd was showing on chest x-ray, cue stress)

22nd June 2020 — Medical confirmed all-clear and sent to embassy (P H E W)

2nd July 2020 — Visa status changed to issue, notification from courier

3rd July 2020 — Arrived at depot, informed I can't collect due to COVID-19 lockdown in Scotland. Had to get it rerouted (took a LOT of phonecalls)

4th July 2020 — Visa/passport received!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post removed from Zombie thread. Please do not post questions for your own case in other members threads.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Things could change quite a bit, when are they looking at moving?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Things could change quite a bit, when are they looking at moving?

As soon as they know they are greenlit by the embassy they'd be looking to book flights within a couple of weeks. 

Assuming 5 days (excluding May 3rd Bank Holiday) for the medical to arrive (due to expedite the medical is Thursday 29th and interviews is Wednesday 28th) and then some time for the embassy to process it we'd be maybe expecting to maybe receive documents back mid-late week of the 10th or the 17th of May. They are trying to give proper notice to their employer's and coordinate flights (Jersey has pretty limited flights to get to England to then get to the USA) but possibly late May or early June assuming all goes reasonably smoothly. 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

They are visa holders. CBP stamps their passports as LPRs when they allow their admission on the visa.

So the visa page in passport is enough? Is there a way to confirm that ahead of time? Will the embassy give them any assurance there? They are just nervous about getting to the CBP and then not (or one of them not) being admitted. I think like many we are maybe overly scared of the CBP/entry process. 

Appreciate your speedy response! 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, ayestaci said:

Hi! I'd recommend creating your own topic about this, as you posted it as a reply to mine, and it's old, so a new one will get more visibility.

But! I always got a decent response from the embassy by using this https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/iv-contact_form/ link. 

Appreciate it - I did create my own topic. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

They should not make any plans until they get their passports back with the immigration visas.  The US Embassy warn people not to quit their jobs or make travel plans until they get their visas and review them for any mistakes.

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

They should not make any plans until they get their passports back with the immigration visas.  The US Embassy warn people not to quit their jobs or make travel plans until they get their visas and review them for any mistakes.

Appreciate that - it's not the question really here though. 

They wouldn't book anything until they got it back - just eyeballing flights. 

Either way they are likely close to retirement given the ALS/MND diagnosis and progression regardless 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, ArkansasExile said:

So the visa page in passport is enough? Is there a way to confirm that ahead of time? Will the embassy give them any assurance there? They are just nervous about getting to the CBP and then not (or one of them not) being admitted. I think like many we are maybe overly scared of the CBP/entry process. 

Appreciate your speedy response! 

Seems like you might be mixing up being a visa holder vs being a green card holder.

The immigrant visas will be enough for them to fly to the US.  There's no way to confirm this as the airline will have to check their visas before letting them board.  The US Embassy can not give any assurance that the airline will let them board.

CBP will review their immigrant visas upon arrival.  CBP will admit your parents unless your parents have an inadmissibility that the US Embassy missed. 

You are overly scared.  I have never heard of an immigrant visa holder being refused entry when immigrating.  

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline
5 minutes ago, ArkansasExile said:

Appreciate that - it's not the question really here though. 

They wouldn't book anything until they got it back - just eyeballing flights. 

Either way they are likely close to retirement given the ALS/MND diagnosis and progression regardless 

Hopefully, you have figured out the cost of health insurance for them.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, aaron2020 said:

Hopefully, you have figured out the cost of health insurance for them.  

Yup. 

4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Seems like you might be mixing up being a visa holder vs being a green card holder.

The immigrant visas will be enough for them to fly to the US.  There's no way to confirm this as the airline will have to check their visas before letting them board.  The US Embassy can not give any assurance that the airline will let them board.

CBP will review their immigrant visas upon arrival.  CBP will admit your parents unless your parents have an inadmissibility that the US Embassy missed. 

You are overly scared.  I have never heard of an immigrant visa holder being refused entry when immigrating.  

Appreciate that - I just had concern whether it was considered "done" until CPB admitted. That was the root of my concern/confusion

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.