IsItLekker

Changing Last Name after Immigration of Spouse

22 posts in this topic

Oh dang, I realize I forgot to update this thread so people will know the maddening drill. I ended up communicating with a Senior Constituent Advocate for my US Representative. She hooked me up with the head of the DMV for the region of Colorado I live in. 

First, they are well aware of the fact that this issue exists. My perplexed call to them was not the first and it will not be the last. The advocate mentioned that she was trying to garner enough information to be able to push for them to do something about this at the congressional level (other states have similar issues), due to the fact the requirements are discriminatory and unnecessarily burdensome to women (as women are usually the ones to change their family name after marriage).

It turns out there is really only one quick legal channel to change your name on your driver's license in the state of Colorado if you were married abroad. I confirmed this both with the representative's office and the head of the DMV.

You must go in to a local county office (does NOT have to be the county you live in) and you have to set an appointment to get a marriage license.

In our case, we brought our foreign marriage certificate and it was noted in the system at the time we applied for the new license that we had been married abroad and the date of that marriage. Apparently, it is totally legal to remarry the same person. We signed the new license in front of the issuing admin and were issued a new marriage certificate from the county. The whole process took less than half an hour. They also issued a couple of certified copies of the marriage certificate at the same time (you want these... they are cheaper if you get them at the same time).

When you go to the DMV you can take the actual certificate or the certified copy with your social security card to the DMV. Apparently this is enough for the name change.

Federal law regulating the issuance of "real ID" driver's licenses are responsible for this giant pain in the behind. As of when I spoke with these offices, there was no active plan to improve the process. Hopefully, this will help you if you are trying to get your name changed in Colorado.

P.S. If you wait for your passport, you can use it to change your name without all this nonsense, however, I only received my passport with my legal name a few weeks ago due to the outrageous backlog. The whole name change process has been a 1 out of 10, do not recommend. 

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Potomac Service Center

Consulate: South Africa

Hello...Shenzhen, China 💕2018-01-20

Will you...Shenzhen, China 💍 2019-01-13

I Do...Hong Kong ❤️ 2019-06-20

USCIS

I-130 Sent: 2019-08-21

I-130 NOA1: 2019-08-26

I-130 NOA2: 2020-04-17

NVC
Received: 2020-04-20

DQ: 2020-06-18

Expedite approved: 2020-08-21

US Consulate - Johannesburg

Medical: 2020-09-03

Interview Scheduled: 2020-09-03

Interview at US Consulate in Johannesburg: 9:15 2020-09-16 - Approved!

Visa Delivered: 2020-09-25

Arrival in the U.S. (POE New York JFK): 2020-10-04
2 year Green Card Received: 2020-12-18

Removal of Conditions

Service Center: National Benefits Center

Date Mailed: 2022-07-20 via FedEx to Phoenix Lockbox

Receipt Date: 2022-07-27

NOA Received: 2022-08-01

Biometrics letter received: 2022-08-13

Biometrics appointment date: 2022-08-23

Removal of Conditions approved date: 2023-10-26

Citizenship

Service Center: Online

Local Office: Denver

Date of Submission: 2023-07-15

Biometrics Waived

Interview scheduled: 2023-09-18
Interview at Centennial Field Office: 8:35 2023-10-26 
Approved!
Oath Ceremony: 11:00 2023-11-07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, IsItLekker said:

Federal law regulating the issuance of "real ID" driver's licenses are responsible for this giant pain in the behind. As of when I spoke with these offices, there was no active plan to improve the process. Hopefully, this will help you if you are trying to get your name changed in Colorado.

Wow, what a huge ordeal! :( There is always the court order option but it's probably even more annoying to go through than the "get re-married in the US" option.

First, they are well aware of the fact that this issue exists. My perplexed call to them was not the first and it will not be the last. The advocate mentioned that she was trying to garner enough information to be able to push for them to do something about this at the congressional level (other states have similar issues), due to the fact the requirements are discriminatory and unnecessarily burdensome to women (as women are usually the ones to change their family name after marriage).

Super frustrating. I hope more awareness is raised around this issue. Now that the "real ID" thing is out there, seems like it needs to be more prioritized. Thanks for updating us!

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

• 9 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/19/2021 at 3:38 PM, IsItLekker said:

Thank you so much for all of the replies you guys! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer. I honestly thought it was just going to fall through the cracks. 😅

So I have continued to reach out, per some of the advice on this thread. Unfortunately, I did not send off to get my passport yet as it required my original marriage certificate and I thought I needed it for the DMV (bummer). If it was a matter of just changing it whenever, I'd go ahead and apply for the passport and deal with the license later, but since my name is already changed federally, I am on a deadline in the state of Colorado to inform them of my name change (within 30 days). That is why I have been in a bit of a panic... that deadline is in less than a week. 

So far, I have sought 2 avenues proposed here. Remarrying in state and court ordered name change.

Remarrying appears to be the fastest method, but I still question the legality of it all. It will officially solemnize our marriage in the state from the date we sign the license, but it supposedly will acknowledge we were previously married.

Court ordered name change seems to also be an option, however since it must be performed in the county where I live, I am less than thrilled with this option as they had no idea what to do when I called them. I was told to consult an attorney. Also, I must submit to finger printing and background checks which could taken a few weeks before I can even apply. 

I contacted the Colorado Attorney General's office and they gave me a canned response about calling my county and asking them for the process to record the marriage (...I have already done this and the result was still rejected by the DMV, probably due to the fact my county has no idea what is going on). However, he did provide me with an email for Vital Records for the state, so I have contacted them to see if they can explain it to me, so that I may in turn explain it to my county clerk and recorder. 

I've determined the word register, record, and certify mean different things to different people. None of the offices are on the same page here. I'll keep you guys updated if I hear anything else, if for no other reason than that there will be an answer to this clusterf**k for anyone else going through this insane process in the future. 

I am very curious how this turned out for you.   I married my husband in canada but i live in Colorado. He just immigrated here a month ago.  I am trying to change my name and running into the same walls.  You have done a lot of leg work here.  Any help is much appreciated.   

On 8/30/2022 at 12:07 PM, T&JL said:

I am very curious how this turned out for you.   I married my husband in canada but i live in Colorado. He just immigrated here a month ago.  I am trying to change my name and running into the same walls.  You have done a lot of leg work here.  Any help is much appreciated.   

If you were married abroad (in this case Canada), you will have to either apply for a court ordered name change (costly, and time consuming) or go to a local county clerk and recorder and get "married" again in the state of Colorado. Getting married again is a lot less painful. Arapaho County totally knew what was up and it was relatively painless once we realized this was the best course of action. I think Denver and El Paso Counties also had the ability to do this, but Arapahoe had the shortest wait times. I would call their office first to confirm they are still doing it this way, and then schedule the appointment for a marriage license online. Make sure you take your original marriage certificate with you and the process should take around thirty minutes. After you get it and the certified copies, you should be able to get your name changed at the DMV.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Potomac Service Center

Consulate: South Africa

Hello...Shenzhen, China 💕2018-01-20

Will you...Shenzhen, China 💍 2019-01-13

I Do...Hong Kong ❤️ 2019-06-20

USCIS

I-130 Sent: 2019-08-21

I-130 NOA1: 2019-08-26

I-130 NOA2: 2020-04-17

NVC
Received: 2020-04-20

DQ: 2020-06-18

Expedite approved: 2020-08-21

US Consulate - Johannesburg

Medical: 2020-09-03

Interview Scheduled: 2020-09-03

Interview at US Consulate in Johannesburg: 9:15 2020-09-16 - Approved!

Visa Delivered: 2020-09-25

Arrival in the U.S. (POE New York JFK): 2020-10-04
2 year Green Card Received: 2020-12-18

Removal of Conditions

Service Center: National Benefits Center

Date Mailed: 2022-07-20 via FedEx to Phoenix Lockbox

Receipt Date: 2022-07-27

NOA Received: 2022-08-01

Biometrics letter received: 2022-08-13

Biometrics appointment date: 2022-08-23

Removal of Conditions approved date: 2023-10-26

Citizenship

Service Center: Online

Local Office: Denver

Date of Submission: 2023-07-15

Biometrics Waived

Interview scheduled: 2023-09-18
Interview at Centennial Field Office: 8:35 2023-10-26 
Approved!
Oath Ceremony: 11:00 2023-11-07

Timeline
8 minutes ago, IsItLekker said:

If you were married abroad (in this case Canada), you will have to either apply for a court ordered name change (costly, and time consuming) or go to a local county clerk and recorder and get "married" again in the state of Colorado. Getting married again is a lot less painful. Arapaho County totally knew what was up and it was relatively painless once we realized this was the best course of action. I think Denver and El Paso Counties also had the ability to do this, but Arapahoe had the shortest wait times. I would call their office first to confirm they are still doing it this way, and then schedule the appointment for a marriage license online. Make sure you take your original marriage certificate with you and the process should take around thirty minutes. After you get it and the certified copies, you should be able to get your name changed at the DMV.

I actually went to Custer county today.  They called the process renewing our vows since we were already married.  We got our certified copies.  It just happens to be that the county I live in was hacked and the whole recording department was down.  I was seriously stressed over this, but $32 later we have a colorado marriage certificate.   Thank you for the update

1 hour ago, T&JL said:

I actually went to Custer county today.  They called the process renewing our vows since we were already married.  We got our certified copies.  It just happens to be that the county I live in was hacked and the whole recording department was down.  I was seriously stressed over this, but $32 later we have a colorado marriage certificate.   Thank you for the update

Thank you for posting. How absolutely odd , I wonder what date of marriage will be recognized for any unfortunate souls that end up in divorce…in another state? 

Apparently in Colorado you can even marry yourself…according to this: 

https://vowsandpeaks.com/self-solemnizing-elopement-guide/

YOUR DOG CAN SIGN YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE

If you’re anything like me, then you love your dog. Your marriage license will still have space for an officiant to sign – but since you don’t need one, you can have your dog sign instead! Fur real!

Timeline
On 9/1/2022 at 12:31 AM, Family said:

Thank you for posting. How absolutely odd , I wonder what date of marriage will be recognized for any unfortunate souls that end up in divorce…in another state? 

Apparently in Colorado you can even marry yourself…according to this: 

https://vowsandpeaks.com/self-solemnizing-elopement-guide/

YOUR DOG CAN SIGN YOUR MARRIAGE LICENSE

If you’re anything like me, then you love your dog. Your marriage license will still have space for an officiant to sign – but since you don’t need one, you can have your dog sign instead! Fur real!

Haha great question.   I wonder if you would have to divorce twice?? Colorado is a strange one for sure.  I'm just happy the "vow renewal " satisfied the problem.   

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.