dopheretta

Financial Documents Needed at NVC?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am married to a USC, and we are using a joint sponsor, as she is a student and does not meet the minimum income requirements. 

From the research I have done, the only financial documents needed are the IRS tax transcript of the most recent tax year of my joint sponsor, my wife, and the agreement between my joint sponsor and his wive.

However, I have seen on here and on facebook groups that people submit financial documents from the past 2-3 years, and not just IRS tax transcripts, but W-2s, as well as other things.

I was wondering if any of you, who have gone though the NVC stage recently, can give me advice on this. What documents are really needed, which ones did you upload? 

Thank you so much in advance for your help, and wishing you all the best for your own immigration journeys!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Austria
Marriage (if applicable): 2020-06-12
I-130 Sent : 2020-10-28
I-130 NOA1 : 2020-10-28

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

This should help! They have a "what do I need to submit" button that makes it pretty clear cut for you, too.

It's a matter of what your sponsor's financial situation looks like. The I-864 requires your sponsors to put in what their income was for the last three years. If your sponsor's income number is consistent those three years, then you can likely get away with just having the tax transcript for the most recent year. Super cut and dry. 

With a joint sponsor, as you said, you'll of course still have to have your sponsor's tax transcript for the most recent financial year (2020 I think at this point). If your joint sponsor has consistent income every year; you should be fine with their most recent tax transcript as well. If their income number fluctuates every year, it would probably be a good idea to have tax transcripts from all three years, just to clarify what is going on there.

You said that your joint sponsor has a wife, that'd be a family member, and they will likely have to fill out I-864A. Because of that, and assuming they filed their taxes jointly, I believe that you will have to submit the W2's and all other forms related to their tax returns, so that the officers will be able to differentiate whose income belongs to whom.

In short, the more information you give them, the more information they have to understand the financial situation. If you think that submitting more will help your case, then do so.

Good luck!

👐

Patience......patience.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, dopheretta said:

I am married to a USC, and we are using a joint sponsor, as she is a student and does not meet the minimum income requirements. 

From the research I have done, the only financial documents needed are the IRS tax transcript of the most recent tax year of my joint sponsor, my wife, and the agreement between my joint sponsor and his wive.

Your wife: I-864, current income information, whether yes/no that she filed taxes the past 3 years, and last year's tax transcript.  Since she is a student, she can list $0 current income, or whatever income from any job(s) she has.  If she did not file taxes for any of the previous 3 years, she would need to explain why (income below threshhold for report is a valid reason)

Joint sponsor: I-864, current annual income, last year's tax return transcript.  I assume he/she will mark "yes" to filing taxes the previous 3 years.  Optional for him/her to include tax return transcript for previous year 2 and year 3.

Joint sponsor's spouse:. I-864A, ONLY IF he/she is combining his/her income for your sponsorship.  If the joint sponsor qualifies with just his/her income, then the spouse does not need to submit I-864A.  If they file taxes jointly, then the joint sponsor will need to also submit W2(s) along with the tax transcript(s).

Timeline
39 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Your wife: I-864, current income information, whether yes/no that she filed taxes the past 3 years, and last year's tax transcript.  Since she is a student, she can list $0 current income, or whatever income from any job(s) she has.  If she did not file taxes for any of the previous 3 years, she would need to explain why (income below threshhold for report is a valid reason)

Joint sponsor: I-864, current annual income, last year's tax return transcript.  I assume he/she will mark "yes" to filing taxes the previous 3 years.  Optional for him/her to include tax return transcript for previous year 2 and year 3.

Joint sponsor's spouse:. I-864A, ONLY IF he/she is combining his/her income for your sponsorship.  If the joint sponsor qualifies with just his/her income, then the spouse does not need to submit I-864A.  If they file taxes jointly, then the joint sponsor will need to also submit W2(s) along with the tax transcript(s).

1 hour ago, neca said:

This should help! They have a "what do I need to submit" button that makes it pretty clear cut for you, too.

It's a matter of what your sponsor's financial situation looks like. The I-864 requires your sponsors to put in what their income was for the last three years. If your sponsor's income number is consistent those three years, then you can likely get away with just having the tax transcript for the most recent year. Super cut and dry. 

With a joint sponsor, as you said, you'll of course still have to have your sponsor's tax transcript for the most recent financial year (2020 I think at this point). If your joint sponsor has consistent income every year; you should be fine with their most recent tax transcript as well. If their income number fluctuates every year, it would probably be a good idea to have tax transcripts from all three years, just to clarify what is going on there.

You said that your joint sponsor has a wife, that'd be a family member, and they will likely have to fill out I-864A. Because of that, and assuming they filed their taxes jointly, I believe that you will have to submit the W2's and all other forms related to their tax returns, so that the officers will be able to differentiate whose income belongs to whom.

In short, the more information you give them, the more information they have to understand the financial situation. If you think that submitting more will help your case, then do so.

Good luck!

Thank you so much.

My joint sponsor, my father-in-law, makes enough to sponsor me alone. He is married, and my mother-in-law is a housewife, so she has no income of her own.

Would this mean:

My wife: I-864, statement saying she was a student and that is why she didn't file taxes last year. She had a student job in 2019, should I submit the tax information/W2's from that? Should I still list her income as 0$, as she currently has no income?

My father-in-law: I-864, current annual income, most recent tax transcript, I-864A filled out with my mother-in-law, and their W2's?

From my mother in law, just the I-864A and W2's, since she has no income of her own?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date
Transferred? No

Timeline

I guess my main question is, if my mother-in-law does not make her own money, but files jointly with my father-in-law, who is my joint sponsor, is no I-864A needed? What does she need to submit?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date
Transferred? No

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your break down of what to submit looks good to me ✌️

54 minutes ago, dopheretta said:

She had a student job in 2019, should I submit the tax information/W2's from that?

You can. I did something similar, just to prove that I was capable of making money. Since you have a joint sponsor, the initial sponsor's income is less important to theirs though.

48 minutes ago, dopheretta said:

is no I-864A needed? What does she need to submit?

It's said that in the case of the sponsor filing their tax return joint with the spouse, submitting an I-864A is best practice. You're basically gambling on them delaying your case asking for one if you don't submit it. If you're okay with doing that, then go for it. You might get through. Officers may and do ask for the I-864A as a sort of confirmation that the spouse consents to the joint income being used to support the immigrant.

Anecdotally, I have a joint sponsor that was married (spouse has since died), filing jointly, and I did not submit an I-864A for the spouse. I did submit all of the tax information and was thorough in separating out the joint sponsor's income from their spouse's. I imagine that since your mother in law does not have income, you'll be more likely to be able to get by without an I-864A. I would still recommend you file one for her if you do not want to chance them causing delays by asking for it later.

👐

Patience......patience.

Timeline
1 hour ago, dopheretta said:

I guess my main question is, if my mother-in-law does not make her own money, but files jointly with my father-in-law, who is my joint sponsor, is no I-864A needed? What does she need to submit?

She does not need to submit anything.  No I-864A needed.

Edit:. Your FIL will need to submit his W2s along with the tax return transcript.  Normally W2s are not required when sending the transcript, but it is required when sponsoring by himself without his wife's income (in this case, $0) when taxes are filed jointly.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 4/8/2021 at 5:38 PM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

She does not need to submit anything.  No I-864A needed.

Edit:. Your FIL will need to submit his W2s along with the tax return transcript.  Normally W2s are not required when sending the transcript, but it is required when sponsoring by himself without his wife's income (in this case, $0) when taxes are filed jointly.

Does he have to file the W2s for the most recent tax year, or for the last 3?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date
Transferred? No

Timeline
11 hours ago, dopheretta said:

Does he have to file the W2s for the most recent tax year, or for the last 3?

Only the most recent is required.  Years 2 and 3 are optional

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.