Ieeeeeees

eFile keeps getting rejected

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey there

I'm trying to file taxes with my husband for the first time. I just got my EAD and social security card. However, Turbotax keeps rejecting it, saying that I'm not in the IRS's records. Here's my situation:

- We got married in May 2020
- I am currently unemployed and haven't worked a single day in my country of birth in 2020
- I have filed taxes in my country of birth before, but not for 2020, as I didn't have any income and have been in the US since early March 2020
- I have a foreign bank account and credit card, both with no money in it

Will filing taxes via mail change anything? Am I doing something wrong? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to filing taxes and don't understand a lot of tax-related terms so any help would be appreciated...

Edited by Ieeeeeees

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

so the system has not caught up yet to new SS card

but since you have it,   print out the forms and paper mail it in and forget doing it by computer

your spouse the USC should be doing the filing as MFJ (married filing joint ) and claiming you as spouse as u don't work

paper and mailing in at this point is just as fast as efiling online as IRS is stalled out doing the stimulus checks 

We got our refund (in a week)  as we filed early but anyone filing now will be waiting longer

Timeline

Awesome, I'll paper file then. I read somewhere I have to include a written statement since I'm a non-resident, so I'll look into some examples for that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Ieeeeeees said:

Hey there

I'm trying to file taxes with my husband for the first time. I just got my EAD and social security card. However, Turbotax keeps rejecting it, saying that I'm not in the IRS's records. Here's my situation:

- We got married in May 2020
- I am currently unemployed and haven't worked a single day in my country of birth in 2020
- I have filed taxes in my country of birth before, but not for 2020, as I didn't have any income and have been in the US since early March 2020
- I have a foreign bank account and credit card, both with no money in it

Will filing taxes via mail change anything? Am I doing something wrong? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to filing taxes and don't understand a lot of tax-related terms so any help would be appreciated...

Make sure you're entering the last name correctly. When E-filing, IRS compares the first 5 letters of the last name you entered to the one in the system. Sometimes people has more than one last name, so entering initials or just the last last name won't work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 hours ago, Ieeeeeees said:

Awesome, I'll paper file then. I read somewhere I have to include a written statement since I'm a non-resident, so I'll look into some examples for that.

You don’t have to do that. You have been in the US long enough.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

You don’t have to do that. You have been in the US long enough.

Oops, already sent it out with my 1040 today. Hope that doesn't make things complicated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.