MexicoExpat

IR-1 visa arrived with errors on Immigrant Data Summary page

7 posts in this topic

My wife received her IR-1 visa on Friday, along with a large yellow packet and a smaller yellow packet attached with her medical results. Taped to the front of both of them is a white paper titled "Immigrant Data Summary". 

we noticed a couple of errors on it

1. The lines for her mother and father's first names have their answers reversed. Her mother's first name is in her father's field and vice versa

2. It includes an alias that we did not list on her DS-260. We did include two aliases on her DS-260 due to her countries naming structure, though we did not add this one. The alias that is showing is all of her names except the last one, which has been replaced with "DE MYLASTNAME". I'm thinking the "DE" was added because we are in Mexico but she did not ever take my last name on any official documents. 

I've contacted AIS who are generally wholly unhelpful at answering any real questions and they said if there's an error on the visa itself we need to send it backroads the consulate but they couldn't say what we needed to do when it was on the Immigrant Data Summary. 

I also contacted USCIS and got a recorded line who directed me to the tool section of their website for a section to correct a typographical error in a document. This was not a document type I could select though. 

my wife and I have had a very rough time with this whole process and having the immigrant visa in hand, it's unfathomable to think of sending it back. I don't even know where to send it anyways. 

is this something that isn't even an official document like the IR-1 visa is? Am I overthinking this and we'll just be fine? 

My backup plan is just to have my wife email the consulate explaining this and then enter the US and bring proof that we've already contacted the consulate and are being pro-active about trying to correct the errors. 

We are flying Friday morning, so only have 3 days to sort this out if it needs sorting out. 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

My wife received her IR-1 visa on Friday, along with a large yellow packet and a smaller yellow packet attached with her medical results. Taped to the front of both of them is a white paper titled "Immigrant Data Summary". 

we noticed a couple of errors on it

1. The lines for her mother and father's first names have their answers reversed. Her mother's first name is in her father's field and vice versa

2. It includes an alias that we did not list on her DS-260. We did include two aliases on her DS-260 due to her countries naming structure, though we did not add this one. The alias that is showing is all of her names except the last one, which has been replaced with "DE MYLASTNAME". I'm thinking the "DE" was added because we are in Mexico but she did not ever take my last name on any official documents. 

I've contacted AIS who are generally wholly unhelpful at answering any real questions and they said if there's an error on the visa itself we need to send it backroads the consulate but they couldn't say what we needed to do when it was on the Immigrant Data Summary. 

I also contacted USCIS and got a recorded line who directed me to the tool section of their website for a section to correct a typographical error in a document. This was not a document type I could select though. 

my wife and I have had a very rough time with this whole process and having the immigrant visa in hand, it's unfathomable to think of sending it back. I don't even know where to send it anyways. 

is this something that isn't even an official document like the IR-1 visa is? Am I overthinking this and we'll just be fine? 

My backup plan is just to have my wife email the consulate explaining this and then enter the US and bring proof that we've already contacted the consulate and are being pro-active about trying to correct the errors. 

We are flying Friday morning, so only have 3 days to sort this out if it needs sorting out. 

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. 

Not a uscis document,  why are you contacting them?  If If you are compelled to talk to someone it would be the consulate.  However,  nothing you mention is anything to worry about 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

12 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Not a uscis document,  why are you contacting them?  If If you are compelled to talk to someone it would be the consulate.  However,  nothing you mention is anything to worry about 

AIS gave me the number of USCIS to contact about this. As I said, they are wholly unhelpful, it was a supervisor who advised me to contact them. 

is this just not an official document so not something to really worry about?

Should she mention the error to CBP at the POE? We did check her DS-260 just to be sure the error isn't on our end and it all shows correctly on her DS-260. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

If the visa is correct then use it.  You don’t need to deal with USCIS again until the ten year green card expires or she applies to naturalize.  

The part that you describe with an alias of "DE [Your Last Name]" just sounds like a conventional practice in many Spanish-speaking countries when last names don't change due to marriage. E.g. if Laura Paredes marries Juan Ramírez she may informally be known as Laura de Ramírez even though officially this would not appear on any documents. Since it is a possible alias your wife could use in Mexico, I wouldn't call that an error.

The issue of her parents' names being reversed seems like it could easily be addressed in the process of renewing the green card.

But if you want some peace of mind about it, did you contact the Consulate over email? If you didn't, you might try sending a message via this form:

https://mx.usembassy.gov/visas/contact-us-form/

That way, you could save/print out your email and any response so that your wife could take that with her when she travels.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

Thanks we will do that - is this worth mentioning these errors (primarily mother and fathers names being switched, as it sounds like her alias is normal) at POE? 

Or only address it if they ask about it?

They won't ask.  You are over thinking 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.