manimani

I-944 no longer needed ? Updated Checklist for I-485?

19 posts in this topic

I presume i am reading this correctly ? Based on the 9th March 2021 ruling we longer need to submit I-944: https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge/inadmissibility-on-public-charge-grounds-final-rule-litigation

I had filed I-130 online for my parents and am putting the package together for I-485. Would the updated list of forms be as follows ?

1) I-485

2) I-131
3) I-864
4) I-944 (No Longer Needed)

and the medical forms.

Edited by manimani

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

correct but you need copy of the i130 filed in the package, also missing the l765 work permit, not only to work but to be legal in the country until the interview

and later the i693 medical and vaccination, you can send it now or later

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I see that RFEs due after March 9th arent required too. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

20 minutes ago, aleful said:

correct but you need copy of the i130 filed in the package, also missing the l765 work permit, not only to work but to be legal in the country until the interview

and later the i693 medical and vaccination, you can send it now or later

Good points. Medical form i already listed but will mention I-693. I will update the list.

Regarding the I-765 work permit, my understanding was that it only needs to be filed if my parents plan to work. However, your comment about "to be legal in the country until the interview" is making me rethink now. My parents are in US at the moment on visitor visa which will expire in early June. Can you please elaborate on this a bit more for my understanding ? Like is it stated somewhere that I-765 would be needed for this ? One of open points for me was to understand if they would need (or is recommended) to stay in US until the interview or work permit or travel document has been received? Would appreciate any feedback.

Edited by manimani
Updated based on new info from the VJ members

My original post with the updated list of docs based on feedback from this thread:

I had filed I-130 online for my parents and am putting the package together for I-485. Would the updated list of forms be as follows ?

1) I-485

2) I-130 (copy of the petition filed online)

3) I-131
4) I-864

5) I-693 (Medical forms since i have them ready)

6)I-765 Work Permit 
7) I-944 (No Longer Needed)

Edited by manimani

1 hour ago, manimani said:

Regarding the I-765 work permit, my understanding was that it only needs to be filed if my parents plan to work.

It is an optional form but I highly recommend filing it. With approved I-765 the applicant is eligible for SSN. Also when filed concurrently with I-131 odds are it'll be a wallet sized combo card:

USCIS_Employment_Authorization_Document_

I-765 and I-131 are free to file if full I-485 fee is paid: https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Filing Forms I-765 and I-131 with Form I-485

If you submit Form I-485 and pay the required fee, you do not have to pay an additional fee to also file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and/or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, for advance parole. You may submit these forms together.

1 hour ago, manimani said:

1) I-485

2) I-130 (copy of the petition filed online)

3) I-131
4) I-864

5) I-693 (Medical forms since i have them ready)

6)I-765 Work Permit 
7) I-944 (No Longer Needed)

Separate into 3 packets per applicant (so 6 total) and send to the Chicago Lockbox:

• I-485 with I-130 receipt notice (aka Form I-797C), I-864 and supporting documents, sealed I-693 medical, electronic I-94 copy, filing fees, etc.;
  • I-765 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.; and
  • I-131 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.

You'll separate each packet with rubber bands or fasteners: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-information/form-filing-tips

On the I-485 packet, I-485 payment method (check, money order, or Form G-1450) must be the very first item of this packet.

For I-131 dates not needed. Put "TBD" for the Date of the trip; and "As needed" for the purpose of the trips. You might need to handwrite "TBD" in that field if the PDF editor doesn't let you. And select the box for Multiple trips.

Edited by HRQX

2 hours ago, aleful said:

l765 work permit, not only to work but to be legal in the country until the interview

what do you mean, to be legal until interview? You make it sound like they would be illegal without it, that is not the case. It certainly makes life easier to have it - but you're not "not legal" without it

31 minutes ago, HRQX said:

It is an optional form but I highly recommend filing it. With approved I-765 the applicant is eligible for SSN. Also when filed concurrently with I-131 odds are it'll be a wallet sized combo card:

USCIS_Employment_Authorization_Document_

I-765 and I-131 are free to file if full I-485 fee is paid: https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Filing Forms I-765 and I-131 with Form I-485

If you submit Form I-485 and pay the required fee, you do not have to pay an additional fee to also file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and/or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, for advance parole. You may submit these forms together.

Separate into 3 packets per applicant (so 6 total) and send to the Chicago Lockbox:

• I-485 with I-130 receipt notice (aka Form I-797C), I-864 and supporting documents, sealed I-693 medical, electronic I-94 copy, filing fees, etc.;
  • I-765 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.; and
  • I-131 with electronic I-94 copy, etc.

You'll separate each packet with rubber bands or fasteners: https://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-information/form-filing-tips

On the I-485 packet, I-485 payment method (check, money order, or Form G-1450) must be the very first item of this packet.

For I-131 dates not needed. Put "TBD" for the Date of the trip; and "As needed" for the purpose of the trips. You might need to handwrite "TBD" in that field if the PDF editor doesn't let you. And select the box for Multiple trips.

Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful. I will read this in detail. One clarification:  Are the 3 packets going to be sent in 1 envelope ? So I will completing two sets for my parents. I presume application for each parent would be sent separately to the lockbox ? so 2 envelopes with 3 packets in each ?

7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Correct 

Hum, I just completed filling out I-944 preparing to file AOS package - then noticed this ruling.   Still, is it better to include the form or  to exclude it?  scenario is that beneficiary has good credit, masters degree in IT .  There are solid signs that she will not be a public charge.   Filing as an immediate relative, parent of US Citizen, concurrently with I-765, I-130.          

Edited by Devguru 2026

8 minutes ago, Devguru 2026 said:

Hum, I just completed filling out I-944 preparing to file AOS package - then noticed this ruling.   Still, is it better to include the form or  to exclude it?  scenario is that beneficiary has good credit, masters degree in IT .  There are solid signs that she will not be a public charge.   Filing as an immediate relative, parent of US Citizen, concurrently with I-765, I-130.          

From the link in first post 

As of March 9, 2021, applicants and petitioners should not provide information related solely to the Public Charge Final Rule. That means that applicants for adjustment of status should not provide the Form I-944, Declaration of Self-Sufficiency, or any evidence or documentation required on that form with their Form I-485.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.