SparklePony

Passport for new citizen child - question on parental consent form

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Hi all,

Now that I have become a citizen, I want to apply for a passport for both me and my 15-year old daughter. I read I will need her dad to fill out and sign the parental consent form, add a photocopy of his ID, then have it all notarized. He lives in the UK. Will they accept a UK notary on his forms?

Thank you!

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

05/21/2015 - Interview - Approved

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

10/12/2017 - ROC packet mailed to VSC

01/21/2019 - ROC Approved - there was no interview

The N-400 journey:

02/16/2020 - N-400 application filed online

02/21/2020 - Paper NOA received in the mail

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

02/02/2021 - Interview & test - Approved

02/05/2021 - Oath Ceremony

JOrOp1.png

13 minutes ago, SparklePony said:

He lives in the UK. Will they accept a UK notary on his forms?

They won't accept a UK notary. The father must go to a ACS in London, Edinburgh, or Belfast to sign DS-3053: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/notary-services-for-all-nationalities/documents-we-notarize/

If you are applying for a passport service for a child under 16, and only one parent is able to appear, the absent parent may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053.   You must present your government-issued photo I.D. (such as your U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) together with the Form DS-3053.

There is no fee for this service.

Or you can wait until she turns 16: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/16-17.html

You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

Do you have sole custody? Because then you don't have to do that.

I do not.

8 hours ago, HRQX said:

They won't accept a UK notary. The father must go to a ACS in London, Edinburgh, or Belfast to sign DS-3053: https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/notary-services-for-all-nationalities/documents-we-notarize/

If you are applying for a passport service for a child under 16, and only one parent is able to appear, the absent parent may furnish a notarized Statement of Consent, Form DS-3053.   You must present your government-issued photo I.D. (such as your U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D) together with the Form DS-3053.

There is no fee for this service.

Or you can wait until she turns 16: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/16-17.html

You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport.

Ah, thanks for that info. She turns 16 in November and we're certainly not going anywhere so I think we're ok to wait.

Can I still use my naturalization certificate in requesting her passport, after getting mine done, or should I just wait the few months and do them together?

The K1 journey:                                                                                                                             The AOS journey:

11/09/2013 - I-129F Packet mailed to Dallas Lockbox                                                                                         06/22/2015 - AOS packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox

02/14/2014 - Case shipped to Embassy, where it waited for over a year at my request                                 11/07/2015 - AOS approved (EAD and AP had already been approved) - there was no interview

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Timeline

Awesome, thank you!

06/19/2015 - Wedding (L) 

The ROC journey:                                                                                                                         

The N-400 journey:

03/13/2020 - Biometrics

JOrOp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.