prettylilraindrop

Green card arrived in new name- now what?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Firstly I hope this is in the right topic and apologies if it’s not. I received my green card today!! We had our interview last week and I asked the lady if I’d be able to get my green card in my new married name (because I had forgotten to change my name when adjusting status) and she did, so my green card is in my new married name, which is great! My question is, what next? From what I’ve seen I need to first change my name with the social security office to get it changed on my SS card, they’re closed because of covid so to do this I would have to mail it which could take weeks and also mean sending original documents which I hate the idea of. I also need to get my permit ASAP because I have to have it 6 months before taking my driving test, I assume though I’ll just have to wait a few extra weeks to get this until I have sent my SS off and got this changed? Lastly because it’s tax time and obviously everything like my W2s, social security number etc are all in my maiden name, I don’t want to change the name with social security yet if it’ll mess anything with that up? I haven’t filed my taxes yet. Basically I just don’t want to do anything wrong and want to know the best way on getting my name changed on everything. Thanks! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, prettylilraindrop said:

Firstly I hope this is in the right topic and apologies if it’s not. I received my green card today!! We had our interview last week and I asked the lady if I’d be able to get my green card in my new married name (because I had forgotten to change my name when adjusting status) and she did, so my green card is in my new married name, which is great! My question is, what next? From what I’ve seen I need to first change my name with the social security office to get it changed on my SS card, they’re closed because of covid so to do this I would have to mail it which could take weeks and also mean sending original documents which I hate the idea of. I also need to get my permit ASAP because I have to have it 6 months before taking my driving test, I assume though I’ll just have to wait a few extra weeks to get this until I have sent my SS off and got this changed? Lastly because it’s tax time and obviously everything like my W2s, social security number etc are all in my maiden name, I don’t want to change the name with social security yet if it’ll mess anything with that up? I haven’t filed my taxes yet. Basically I just don’t want to do anything wrong and want to know the best way on getting my name changed on everything. Thanks! 

Having maiden name on the SSC is probably not going to be an issue for the DMV. You have a marriage certificate which is a name change document that is dated after your social was issued. So you will most likely be able get a permit.

For taxes, unfortunately you last name on the return must match the last name on the social security if you're filing electronically. If you file by paper, you might be okay just putting the married name. 

I also had to change my name on the social by mail and received everything back. It took about 2 months because of a mistake they made, but I have everything back. If you really need to update the name now, just do it. Make copies of your green card and send the original with a SS5 form. They will return it to you within a couple weeks. And you will also get a SSC without restrictions.

Edited by Ayrton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@prettylilraindrop

Some offices are giving appointments. Try your local office or even others you might want to drive a bit to get to. From their Covid info page—

I need help with my Social Security Number (SSN)

We are prioritizing requests for in-person SSN services for:

• Individuals age 12 or older applying for their first SSN card.
  • Individuals who need to update or correct their SSN information (such as your name, date of birth, or citizenship) to obtain income, resources, or medical care or coverage, or other services or benefits (for example filing a tax return, applying for housing, or seeking an Economic Impact Payment).

If you believe you qualify for an in-person appointment, call your local office. You can look up the phone number for your local office by accessing our office locator. Please note that appointments may not be immediately available, depending on local health and safety conditions and staffing.

Edited by Wuozopo

21 minutes ago, luckylola said:

Hi, guys !!

do you know if it’s possible to track a GC via usps ?? How can we find a tracing number ?
Was you able to track it before you received it ?

You can either call USCIS to ask for it or log on to your online account.

I-751

July 25, 2023 - Submitted ROC via USPS 

July 31, 2023 - Credit card charged

Aug 1, 2023 - Text confirmation with IOE number received

Aug 14, 2023 - 48-month extension letter received

Aug 23, 2023 - Biometrics appointment at Brooklyn ASC

I-485

July 2, 2020 - 1st AOS submission via USPS  | July 19, 2020 - Rejected package received due to "missing forms" | July 20, 2020 - Resubmitted AOS Package | July 26, 2020 - AOS received at Chicago lockbox via USPS

July 27, 2020 - USCIS online status: Case received

Aug 9, 2020 - Credit card was charged | Aug 13, 2020 - Received SMS confirmation from USCIS | Aug 17, 2020 - Received NOAs in the mail | Aug 21, 2020 - USCIS account updated to RFE (waiting for mail)

Aug 27, 2020 - Hard copy of RFIE received in the mail (I-864EZ rejected) | Aug 31, 2020 - Response to RFIE sent to NBC

Sept 9, 2020 - Response to RFIE received by USCIS | Sept. 22, 2020 - Received I-693 deficiency notice

Nov 21, 2020 - Date USCIS sent out biometrics appointment letter  | Nov. 28, 2020 - Received bio appointment letter

Dec 18, 2020 - Biometrics appointment completed in Brooklyn ASC | Dec. 19, 2020 - Case updated to fingerprints taken (I-485 and I-765) | Dec. 30, 2020 - Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

Feb 25, 2021 - New card is being produced (EAD) | Feb. 26, 2021 - EAD and AP have been approved

Mar 3, 2021 - Combo card received | Mar. 5, 2021 - SSN card received

Aug 31, 2021 - Case updated online to interview has been scheduled | Sept 8, 2021 - Interview schedule received in the mail via USPS

Oct 5, 2021 - Scheduled interview | Oct 6, 2021 - Approved

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
14 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Having maiden name on the SSC is probably not going to be an issue for the DMV. You have a marriage certificate which is a name change document that is dated after your social was issued. So you will most likely be able get a permit.

For taxes, unfortunately you last name on the return must match the last name on the social security if you're filing electronically. If you file by paper, you might be okay just putting the married name. 

I also had to change my name on the social by mail and received everything back. It took about 2 months because of a mistake they made, but I have everything back. If you really need to update the name now, just do it. Make copies of your green card and send the original with a SS5 form. They will return it to you within a couple weeks. And you will also get a SSC without restrictions.

My social security is dated from after the marriage certificate, I didn’t realise that when I adjusted status I could change my name then, so my EAD etc was all in my maiden name, so do you think that would be a problem if I was to get my license and I’d have to wait until I get my name changed on SS? So far I only have my green card in my new name. 

okay thank you! In that case I will put my maiden name when filing as changing my name with SS will take a few weeks at least anyway, I just hope that doesn’t cause any confusion in the crossover period? 

That’s a good point about the SS without restrictions! I didn’t think about that. I hope they won’t have everything for too long. Thank you for your help! 

13 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

@prettylilraindrop

Some offices are giving appointments. Try your local office or even others you might want to drive a bit to get to. From their Covid info page—

I need help with my Social Security Number (SSN)

We are prioritizing requests for in-person SSN services for:

• Individuals age 12 or older applying for their first SSN card.
  • Individuals who need to update or correct their SSN information (such as your name, date of birth, or citizenship) to obtain income, resources, or medical care or coverage, or other services or benefits (for example filing a tax return, applying for housing, or seeking an Economic Impact Payment).

If you believe you qualify for an in-person appointment, call your local office. You can look up the phone number for your local office by accessing our office locator. Please note that appointments may not be immediately available, depending on local health and safety conditions and staffing.

That’s worth noting, thank you! I’ll call them and see if I qualify! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, prettylilraindrop said:

My social security is dated from after the marriage certificate, I didn’t realise that when I adjusted status I could change my name then, so my EAD etc was all in my maiden name, so do you think that would be a problem if I was to get my license and I’d have to wait until I get my name changed on SS? So far I only have my green card in my new name. 

okay thank you! In that case I will put my maiden name when filing as changing my name with SS will take a few weeks at least anyway, I just hope that doesn’t cause any confusion in the crossover period? 

That’s a good point about the SS without restrictions! I didn’t think about that. I hope they won’t have everything for too long. Thank you for your help! 

That’s worth noting, thank you! I’ll call them and see if I qualify! 

The issue is that you're supposed to use your legal name, and if you decided to change your name with marriage, then that's your legal name, and your GC is proof of that. You will have to fill out the DL application with the new last name. 

I would just try to get the name fixed on the SSC first.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 hours ago, prettylilraindrop said:

Your name for driving will likely be the latest name on record at USCIS because you are an immigrant. Your latest is what’s on your greencard.  Many states use the S.A.VE. database to check status. For example my original driver license had first and last name based on my entry name. When I got a greencard which had [first, middle initial, last] the DMV had to change my license to the same because that was what was in the S.A.V.E database. Social Security did the same and sent me a new card. When I got citizenship and the certificate included my fully spelled out middle name, my driver license and SS card were replaced yet again to reflect what USCIS had on record in their database. 

About social security appointments, it says they are prioritizing appointments for those who need it for tax filing purposes. Emphasize that when you call. Try several offices. I go to a rural office far away from my closest office to get quicker service. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
2 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Your name for driving will likely be the latest name on record at USCIS because you are an immigrant. Your latest is what’s on your greencard.  Many states use the S.A.VE. database to check status. For example my original driver license had first and last name based on my entry name. When I got a greencard which had [first, middle initial, last] the DMV had to change my license to the same because that was what was in the S.A.V.E database. Social Security did the same and sent me a new card. When I got citizenship and the certificate included my fully spelled out middle name, my driver license and SS card were replaced yet again to reflect what USCIS had on record in their database. 

About social security appointments, it says they are prioritizing appointments for those who need it for tax filing purposes. Emphasize that when you call. Try several offices. I go to a rural office far away from my closest office to get quicker service. 

In NY I was able to get my DL with my new legal name (after a court order change) even though I had my GC with the old name (and misspelled). What they did was they verified me with the old name and then updated the name in the system according to the court order change. So I received the card with the new name.

Of course this changes from state to state (and probably from officer to officer).

Wisconsin DMV wouldn't issue me a learner's permit or a state ID until the name on my SSA record matched my green card but you may have more luck. DMV said they have the power to do a once-in-a-lifetime override but that won't work for a first issuance, only if I'd gotten a permit in my maiden name previously. I wish I'd gone and done that, now, but hey ho. 

SSA already refused me an appointment due to Covid (apparently getting a license and a job aren't the 'dire need' the agent said they would consider) so I'll try the tax filing argument next.

Edited by yoda one for me

• 1 month later...

Just to update things from my end, after taking on board some of the advise in this thread I called SSA again and used the "i need the name corrected because i need to file taxes" reason to get my card updated. These were indeed the magic words. A week and a half later I was called back and offered an appointment. I also had to confirm that I had no covid symptoms or been in contact with covid positive people. The appointment was for the following week. I showed up with all of my documents ready plus the application form all filled out and signed. The lady at the window took my information and made their own copies of my docs for reference, printed out a sheet for me to confirm all the updated details were correct, and took my old SSN card. She gave me a receipt for the corrected card and told me it should be with me in 7-10 days but electronically it updates in the system within 24 hours.

So, confirmed that you say 'need this to file taxes' and it should do the trick. Also don't be afraid to call back at another date/time if you get a really unhelpful agent on the phone! The second person I talked to was extremely understanding and made sure they could escalate me for an appointment by taking a lot of information. 

Good luck, folks :)

And another update: my new social security card arrived in the mail today - complete with correct updated name, and no more "valid for work only with DHS auth" restriction on there. Hooray!

Hopefully this is a bit of reassurance for anyone in the same boat.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, Ayrton said:

I attempted with my wife and they told us it had to be changed before they could issue the permit. We did have the marriage certificate. As for taxes, I filed with her maiden name and it was not an issue. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.