vaindioux

Civic test: Do you need the exact wording for each question?

22 posts in this topic

Yes, just need the main points of the answer. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

I did my interview just over 3 weeks ago. You don't need to have the exact wording although the 6 questions I got had straight, non-discussion answers. The ones I got were;

Who is the current US President?

Which ocean is off the west coast of the US?

How long is a Representative elected for?

What is the supreme law of the land?

How many Supreme Court Justices are there?

How many amendments does the Constitution have?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, ORCoast said:

I did my interview just over 3 weeks ago. You don't need to have the exact wording although the 6 questions I got had straight, non-discussion answers. The ones I got were;

Who is the current US President?

Which ocean is off the west coast of the US?

How long is a Representative elected for?

What is the supreme law of the land?

How many Supreme Court Justices are there?

How many amendments does the Constitution have?

LOL half of America prolly can’t answer those questions

2 hours ago, vaindioux said:

Hi

In the practice test, I often answer correctly but my wording might be slightly different.

Do you need to answer with the exact wording to score?

Thxs

Pat

You do not need exact wording

Timeline
Just now, vaindioux said:

Thanks a lot Nitas_man

Pat

Best of luck.  Our turn is coming up LOL.  We’re JUST filing after 14 years

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ThaOne said:

Do you mean "Yes! they want the exact wording" or "No! just the main points"?

Some answers will be very specific, like the number of justices on the Supreme Court, there's only one right answer, either you get it or you don't.  Same for the current US President and many others.  So for those questions the "exact wording" would be needed.  For other questions that are not so factual, a generally correct answer would suffice, as long as it shows you understand the question and know the general answer (main points).  So it's question specific.  If you follow this link, you'll see the questions that only have one correct answer, like 27 amendments to the US Constitution, etc., and others that have multiple correct answers, like what did the Declaration of Independence do.  Hope this helps, and good luck with the test!

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf

4 hours ago, vaindioux said:

Wow you got easy questions. I would have scored 6 out of 6. Unfortunately I filed after Dec 1 2020, so I get the harder test.

Thxs

Pat

Both tests aren't really hard. Those who may have problems are people who may not speak English well, so it may be a communication issue, but the questions are already there so at worst, you just have to memorize the answers if you didn't already know.

Either way more than half the american born citizens would probably fail.

And NO! You do not have to respond word for word, but why wouldn't you? The questions are read exactly as they are in all the practice materials online or in leaflets. Most questions, there really aren't any other ways to answer. i.e who is the speaker of the house?, what Ocean is on the East Coast of the US?... Just answer "Pelosi and Atlantic". No need to launch into a paragraph.

Most questions are a name or just a word answer, it is okay to answer using that one word or sentence. There aren't many options. They don't want you to give your opinion on anything. Actually that would be a mistake. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, vaindioux said:

You are an early bird. I am filing after 28 years

Pat

Seems we are LOL but we got this

2 hours ago, ThaOne said:

Both tests aren't really hard. Those who may have problems are people who may not speak English well, so it may be a communication issue, but the questions are already there so at worst, you just have to memorize the answers if you didn't already know.

Either way more than half the american born citizens would probably fail.

And NO! You do not have to respond word for word, but why wouldn't you? The questions are read exactly as they are in all the practice materials online or in leaflets. Most questions, there really aren't any other ways to answer. i.e who is the speaker of the house?, what Ocean is on the East Coast of the US?... Just answer "Pelosi and Atlantic". No need to launch into a paragraph.

Most questions are a name or just a word answer, it is okay to answer using that one word or sentence. There aren't many options. They don't want you to give your opinion on anything. Actually that would be a mistake. 

This is true

Edited by Nitas_man

7 hours ago, vaindioux said:

Unfortunately I filed after Dec 1 2020, so I get the harder test.

Do you already have a date for N-400 interview? If so, that was pretty fast.

If not, there is speculation that the current Administration will undo the test change: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/02/02/executive-order-on-restoring-faith-in-our-legal-immigration-systems-and-strengthening-integration-and-inclusion-efforts-for-new-americans/

Sec. 5.  Promoting Naturalization. (a)  Improving the naturalization process.  The Secretary of State, the Attorney General, and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall, within 60 days of the date of this order, develop a plan describing any agency actions, in furtherance of the policy set forth in section 1 of this order, that they will take to:

(i)    eliminate barriers in and otherwise improve the existing naturalization process, including by conducting a comprehensive review of that process with particular emphasis on the N-400 application, fingerprinting, background and security checks, interviews, civics and English language tests, and the oath of allegiance;

On 2/7/2021 at 8:32 PM, HRQX said:

Do you already have a date for N-400 interview? If so, that was pretty fast.

If not, there is speculation that the current Administration will undo the test change: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/02/02/executive-order-on-restoring-faith-in-our-legal-immigration-systems-and-strengthening-integration-and-inclusion-efforts-for-new-americans/

No I don't have a date yet. My wait is currently 9 months. I hope the current administration reverts to the old test.

Thxs

Pat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.