JacobP

I-485 Rejected Citing I-944 and I-864 Requirements

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We submitted my wife's AOS package a few weeks ago and just got it back today. It was stated on the rejection letter that the i-864 and i-944 were required, which we included in full including all required evidence. None of the forms are outdated, they match what's currently on the USCIS website.

I'm at a loss for what to do here. My wife and I, as well as my parents all looked over it and none of us could find anything obviously wrong with it. Looking for any pointers as to what I may have screwed up on, especially if anyone's had any similar experiences. It is incredibly annoying how you only get vague indications of what's wrong when they send these rejection letters.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: the only thing I can vaguely think to do is to go through and write and/a on every single blank section and hope that fixes the problem. But I can't be sure that is the problem.

Edited by JacobP

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

What's the exact wording of the rejection letter?

Right, should've posted this earlier

20210115_012857.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, JacobP said:

Right, should've posted this earlier

20210115_012857.jpg

The letter is generic. You can see they give you at least 5 reasons for the rejection.

The main reasons for the rejection are:

- Wrong answer on Part 2/Question 2 of the form 485.

- Missing signatures.

- Missing I129f NOA2.

- Wrong category on the EAD form (C09)

Timeline
5 hours ago, Ayrton said:

The letter is generic. You can see they give you at least 5 reasons for the rejection.

The main reasons for the rejection are:

- Wrong answer on Part 2/Question 2 of the form 485.

- Missing signatures.

- Missing I129f NOA2.

- Wrong category on the EAD form (C09)

Question 2 Part 2 was marked "individual admitted as K-1", I made sure of that. We definitely signed every form and dated it the same, my I-129F NOA2 was included AND labeled, and the EAD was marked C09 (the denial letter for the I-765 even says C09 in bold).

Timeline
7 minutes ago, JacobP said:

Question 2 Part 2 was marked "individual admitted as K-1", I made sure of that. We definitely signed every form and dated it the same, my I-129F NOA2 was included AND labeled, and the EAD was marked C09 (the denial letter for the I-765 even says C09 in bold).

So they made a mistake. It happens. All you can do is resubmit.

If you tried to pay with a credit card, maybe sent a check now.  And make sure the amount is 1225.

Edited by Ayrton

The I-765 and I-131 now cost money for filing with the I-485. So the total is no longer 1225 for all 3 forms. 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ayrton said:

So they made a mistake. It happens. All you can do is resubmit.

If you tried to pay with a credit card, maybe sent a check now.  And make sure the amount is 1225.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

The I-765 and I-131 now cost money for filing with the I-485. So the total is no longer 1225 for all 3 forms. 

No it doesn't.

The fee changes never happened. It was blocked by a judge and it's still blocked.

Timeline
47 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Well then the uscis should fix their website. 

They did, their website still states the old fees and the fact that the I-765 and I-131 are free, and some of the relevant forms have a notice that their new fee schedule is currently being blocked.

Edited by JacobP

20 minutes ago, JacobP said:

They did, their website still states the old fees and the fact that the I-765 and I-131 are free, and some of the relevant forms have a notice that their new fee schedule is currently being blocked.

Filing Forms I-765 and I-131 with Form I-485

If you are filing Form I-485 and paid the required fee on or after July 30, 2007, but before Oct. 2, 2020, you do not have to pay an additional fee to also file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and/or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document for advance parole. You may file these forms together. If you choose not to file Form I-765 and/or Form I-131 with your Form I-485, then you must submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed a Form I-485.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

looks like no they haven’t.  But on the I131 page it does say it’s free so it’s confusing.  There are several alerts at the top of the page and none of them say the fee schedules haven’t changed as planned but the fee calculator does say 1225 again not saying if the I-131and I-765 are included still. 

Im gladly corrected that the fees haven’t changed. But the website is still incorrect. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

looks like no they haven’t.  But on the I131 page it does say it’s free so it’s confusing.  There are several alerts at the top of the page and none of them say the fee schedules haven’t changed as planned but the fee calculator does say 1225 again not saying if the I-131and I-765 are included still. 

Im gladly corrected that the fees haven’t changed. But the website is still incorrect. 

The fee section on the I-485 still has the old fees, just the I-485 by itself wouldn't have a biometric fee with the new one IIRC. But yes, they should've made it more clear on that page.

Edited by JacobP

Timeline
11 minutes ago, NikLR said:

All the fees on the website are current and show the old ones.

For the 485 = 1225 (which includes the bio fees that would be waived).

This fee wouldn't change. Only the biometrics would be waived. The fee for the form itself would remain the same, that's why there's no note on the 485 page.

The fee calculator also shows the correct fee for AOS, EAD and AP. 1225/0/0

Edited by Ayrton

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 8:20 AM, NikLR said:

But the website is still incorrect. 

Who knows, it could have been the previous Administration's last ditch effort to peddle misinformation? Before the January 11 edit, that section was accurate: https://web.archive.org/web/20210102085439/https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Filing Forms I-765 and I-131 with Form I-485

If you are filing Form I-485 and pay the required fee (or already filed Form I-485 and paid the required fee on or after July 30, 2007), you do not have to pay an additional fee to also file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and/or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document for advance parole. You may file these forms together. If you choose not to file Form I-765 and/or Form I-131 with your Form I-485, then you must submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed a Form I-485.

If you filed your Form I-485 before July 30, 2007, you must pay the fees associated with Forms I-765 and/or I-131 when you file them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.