Gamisha

Updated I-693 for AoS interview

28 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello,

Finally after just 2 years of waiting, I got my AoS interview scheduled. They haven't sent me the interview's date yet (I just got an email and an updated from the USCIS app), but today I got a letter from USCIS saying that I might need to bring an updated form I-693 to my appointment. I have done my medical exam in my country for the K1 visa (this was October 2018), and once I moved to the US and married my husband I applied for the AoS and sent my I-693 with the I-485 (this was December 2018 - my NOA date is 12/10/2018). Now from the letter it seems I need to do again this medical. It says:

"If you submitted your form I-485 on or after November 1, 2018, it is valid for two years after the date of submission. If your appointment date is more than two years after the date of submission, your Form I-693 is no longer valid. Please bring an updated Form I-693 to interview appointment"

Can please someone confirm that I understand correctly and need to redo the medical? And if I do, I have to find the civil surgeon through the USCIS website and bring the I-693 to the appointment for the surgeon to fill out? Do I need a picture too?

Also, is it normal that they sent me this and not the letter with the date yet?

Thank you!

c27ec1db-8f40-4cfd-a421-6c6173159c57.thumb.JPG.64e44238acdea4cfa6c9a50140742b8c.JPG

12 minutes ago, Gamisha said:

I applied for the AoS and sent my I-693 with the I-485

Why did you send I-693? Were there issues with the DS-3025? https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or 

• The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] 

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28] 

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician. 

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).

If no issues on the DS-3025, then that should be sufficient. I say "should" because in a few rare cases USCIS misplaces the DS-3025:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
53 minutes ago, Gamisha said:

Hello,

Finally after just 2 years of waiting, I got my AoS interview scheduled. They haven't sent me the interview's date yet (I just got an email and an updated from the USCIS app), but today I got a letter from USCIS saying that I might need to bring an updated form I-693 to my appointment. I have done my medical exam in my country for the K1 visa (this was October 2018), and once I moved to the US and married my husband I applied for the AoS and sent my I-693 with the I-485 (this was December 2018 - my NOA date is 12/10/2018). Now from the letter it seems I need to do again this medical. It says:

"If you submitted your form I-485 on or after November 1, 2018, it is valid for two years after the date of submission. If your appointment date is more than two years after the date of submission, your Form I-693 is no longer valid. Please bring an updated Form I-693 to interview appointment"

Can please someone confirm that I understand correctly and need to redo the medical? And if I do, I have to find the civil surgeon through the USCIS website and bring the I-693 to the appointment for the surgeon to fill out? Do I need a picture too?

Also, is it normal that they sent me this and not the letter with the date yet?

Thank you!

c27ec1db-8f40-4cfd-a421-6c6173159c57.thumb.JPG.64e44238acdea4cfa6c9a50140742b8c.JPG

OMG I just got this too and I am freaking out. I hope someone can tell us what it means.

Timeline

6 minutes ago, C💏A said:

OMG I just got this too and I am freaking out. I hope someone can tell us what it means.

Oh. I am glad I am not the only one. Was maybe a mistake from the Seattle office? Did you get the letter with the date of the interview?

Timeline
Just now, Gamisha said:

Oh. I am glad I am not the only one. Was maybe a mistake from the Seattle office? Did you get the letter with the date of the interview?

No. Just the one with the I693 same as yours

Timeline
1 minute ago, C💏A said:

No. Just the one with the I693 same as yours

Did you get the email from USCIS that says the interview has been scheduled?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

A few people got this letter the past few months. You don't need a new one. Your medical is still valid. Print the Instructions and take it to Interview. You never had a 693, so the 693 rule doesn't apply to you. If the officer at the interview still says you need it, ask them to speak to a supervisor.

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Gamisha said:

Did you get the email from USCIS that says the interview has been scheduled?

Yes, I did 

29 minutes ago, Gamisha said:

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

A few people got this letter the past few months. You don't need a new one. Your medical is still valid. Print the Instructions and take it to Interview. You never had a 693, so the 693 rule doesn't apply to you. If the officer at the interview still says you need it, ask them to speak to a supervisor.

Even though my DS 3025 says expires in 2 years ? ~ it was done on 10/31/2018, that means it expired 10/31/2020

5 minutes ago, C💏A said:

Even though my DS 3025 says expires in 2 years ?

It's still valid. What matters is I-485 filing date:

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or 

• The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] 

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28] 

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician. 

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).

Timeline
49 minutes ago, C💏A said:

Even though my DS 3025 says expires in 2 years ? ~ it was done on 10/31/2018, that means it expired 10/31/2020

No where in your DS 3025 should say it expires in 2 years. This is just one out of 4 forms in the foreign medical. See them as "foreign medical", not individual forms. Your foreign medical is valid forever as long as you filed for AOS within 1 year. That's the rule.

USCIS officers that are not familiar with K1 will ask for new medicals. It happened to me at my interview, I just told him I didn't need a new one, he said right and moved on.

Timeline

Okay. So we just ignore this letter and if they ask at the interview we show the DS 3025. Correct?

Thank you all for your replies. :)

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Gamisha said:

Okay. So we just ignore this letter and if they ask at the interview we show the DS 3025. Correct?

Thank you all for your replies. :)

No. You show the instructions that says you don't need a new medical. Again, DS3025 is just one form out of 4 in the foreign medical, and they have all of them already. If they say you need a new medical, tell them to look up the instructions for K1 medicals.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ayrton said:

No. You show the instructions that says you don't need a new medical. Again, DS3025 is just one form out of 4 in the foreign medical, and they have all of them already. If they say you need a new medical, tell them to look up the instructions for K1 medicals.

By instructions you mean the Chapter 3, B, 4 of the policy manual?

This: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3#S-B

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.