MrsH23

Had my interview today!! Newark nj

12 posts in this topic

I had my interview today in newark, nj! My appointment was 9.45 it said on the letter you would NOT be allowed in any earlier than 15 minutes before your appointment. We got there half hour early so sat in the car for 10 mins and then went in.. when we walked to the entrance there was a massive line around the building to get in!! Ofcourse I panicked thinking they wouldn’t take me. Around 10.10 am we got in the building went thru security and then went upstairs to check in, after another 20/30 minute wait the officer called us. He was extremely nice from the beginning. He took us down stairs and told us to wait another 20 mins while he reviewed our case. When we went in he asked for any joint documents / photos etc. He looked thru our photos and just spoke like it was a normal conversation asking how we met etc. He asked us each other’s full names and birthdays. Asked my husband when we got married and then the yes/ no questions.

I was worried as I overstayed my esta but when he got to the question about if you ever violated terms and conditions of your immigration status he just said “and you overstayed your esta?” I said yes and he moved on... 

he didn’t approve on the spot but told me I can apply for citizenship in 3 years and said I would get greencard within a month “if all goes well” and gave me a letter saying it was being reviewed. I tried to give him updated tax forms and he said “ you know what I don’t even need it I know this is a real marriage, you guys have a kid and you’ve given me enough evidence” 

Just patiently waiting to see if it’ll be approved any time soon! 

just wanted to let people know that it is a very very scary thing to do but just take a deep breath and be yourself!! 

9 hours ago, LinaB said:

Hi . Congratulations. I have the same field office and since April 2 still on “your case is ready to be scheduled...” what is your PD ? And when was it ready to be

august 19 2019. Mines changed to ready to be scheduled October 19 2019 and then I got interview notification November 3rd 2020

Edited by MrsH23

7 hours ago, A.Siddiqui said:

what is you PD, AOS FROM?

August 19 2019

adjusted from esta and had a 2 year overstay! 

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 12/10/2020 at 5:45 AM, MrsH23 said:

August 19 2019

adjusted from esta and had a 2 year overstay! 

You got married after you overstayed your ESTA? and then applied for AOS during your overstay? and they were completely ok with that? 😮 

1 hour ago, LibertyBears said:

You got married after you overstayed your ESTA? and then applied for AOS during your overstay? and they were completely ok with that? 😮 

Happens daily, AOS is a legal path when people are in the US. Why are you surprised?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

Happens daily, AOS is a legal path when people are in the US. Why are you surprised?

I wasn’t aware that overstaying on a visa was allowed, always assumed that there would be consequences to it as they are so strict on that not being allowed at the borders 

3 hours ago, LibertyBears said:

Yes. I overstayed for 2 years before sending the paperwork.. I know people

who overstayed for longer and there was no issue. The immigration officer literally said “you overstayed your esta?” I said yes, he put a line through the question and moved on to the next. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
51 minutes ago, LibertyBears said:

I wasn’t aware that overstaying on a visa was allowed, always assumed that there would be consequences to it as they are so strict on that not being allowed at the borders 

Overstays are forgiven for spouses of USCs. 

09/25/20: AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-765/I-944) mailed out via USPS.

09/27/20: Package received by USPS.

10/24/20: Received NOA1 in the mail. PD is 09/28/20.

01/05/21: Biometrics appointment completed (Brooklyn ASC). Case updated to show fingerprints were taken (I-486 & I-765).

01/05/21: I-131 mailed via UPS.

01/17/21: Received IOE receipt number for I-131 via text.

01/25/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-131.

02/02/21: I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

02/04/21: Received I-693 deficiency notice in the mail (dated 01/29/21).

02/09/21: Advance Parole document was produced.

02/16/21: AP in hand.
02/26/21: New Card Is Being Produced (EAD).

03/04/21: EAD in hand.

09/01/21: EAD renewal paperwork received by USCIS. IOE receipt number.

09/07/21: Receipt / 180-day automatic extension received in the mail.

09/09/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-765 renewal.

10/25/21: AP renewal NOA and biometrics reuse received in the mail.

11/04/21: Interview was scheduled for 12/02.

Timeline
8 hours ago, MrsH23 said:

Yes. I overstayed for 2 years before sending the paperwork.. I know people

who overstayed for longer and there was no issue. The immigration officer literally said “you overstayed your esta?” I said yes, he put a line through the question and moved on to the next. 

8 hours ago, iy2020 said:

Overstays are forgiven for spouses of USCs. 

Ahhh I see

Sorry, I'm just purely asking out of curiosity.

During my last visit on ESTA I got an email from CBP reminding me my allowed 90 day visitation was almost up. Hence why I always assumed they'd be incredibly strict with deportation process for overstays. 

VWP/ESTA is not a visa.  Distinction can be important if there's a denial later.

Otherwise, adjustment of status is possible for spouses, and some activities, such as overstays, are overlooked. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.