Don0

Travel to PH news and quarantine

25 posts in this topic

I've seen the news about the new travel restrictions. I can't see a new thread about it. But I have a question. They're asking for a pre-booked quarantine facility. Do they have a certain list of maybe "certified" facilities or is a hotel booking enough? 

Any help would be appreciated!

6 minutes ago, Don0 said:

They're asking for a pre-booked quarantine facility. Do they have a certain list of maybe "certified" facilities or is a hotel booking enough? 

The Bureau of Quarantine publishes a list every month.  Here's the latest -- http://quarantine.doh.gov.ph/facilities-inspected-as-of-november-27-2020/

6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

The Bureau of Quarantine publishes a list every month.  Here's the latest -- http://quarantine.doh.gov.ph/facilities-inspected-as-of-november-27-2020/

Thank you @Chancy they only publish a list for Manila?

I was wondering if someone would come in with a connecting flight to another region of the Philippines, do they need to stay in Manila then? Do they require a 14 day quarantine too? 

5 hours ago, Don0 said:

Thank you @Chancy they only publish a list for Manila?

I was wondering if someone would come in with a connecting flight to another region of the Philippines, do they need to stay in Manila then? Do they require a 14 day quarantine too? 

If you test negative, which seems about 2 days to get results, then you can go to your next destination.

Your next destination may or may not require quarantine, You will have to check where you are going and find out.  Some cities have liqour ban, some cities have travel restrictions, some require a pass for only one member to go outside to get either Food or Medicine, and some still have curfew where you can't leave residence after 8pm until 7am.

9 hours ago, Chancy said:

Thank you for this...

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

5 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

I arrived on my flight the morning of November 29th around 7am.  We sat on the plane for about 45 minutes for an explanation by the Coast Guard on the procedure when we got off.  It was actually information overload if you had not read or prepared before the flight as there are alot of steps.  I had prepaid for my COVID test with the Philippine Red Cross the day before the flight from NYC.  

After filling out a bunch of forms on the plane, you then disembark and go to a waiting area for the COVID test.  I actually went to the wrong area but there were no signs.  I waited about 30 minutes for my COVID test until I showed someone my QR code and they told me I had to go another gate.  So if you do arrive with a prepaid COVID test, do not follow the masses (98% of the plane).  Go to the Red Cross area (someone will direct you) and you will get your test within 5 minutes.

After this part you go to Immigration.  After Immigration is baggage collection which by this time its already waiting for you.  You then need to have the Affidavit sheet checked multiple times and someone will double check your pre-booked accommodation that it is on the list.  Then you will get your transportation to your hotel from a separate booth.  I took the yellow taxi option and was already expecting problems.  Once all this is done, a Coast guard guy will take your affidavit and then your free to leave the terminal.  You can exchange money outside the door if you need or get a sim card.

Taking Grab is not an option and I already knew the taxis were going to give me problems.  As soon as I got in the "metered" yellow airport taxi, the guy asked for the slip of paper thats given at the taxi booth.  Never give them this paper.  They only want it so when you have problems you dont have the number to complain.  Yellow taxi meters start at 70p and before we had gone 100 meters, my meter was well over 100p.  I told the guy to turn off the meter and that I was giving him 250p.  I didnt get any pushback.  My quarantine hotel is walking distance to my condo so I know the rates down to the peso.  

Once at the hotel, you check in and they gave me the option to run over to 7-11 to buy anything I may need as that would be my only chance to go outside my room until my test results arrived.  I loaded up at the 7-11 and was proceeded to be overcharged on multiple items.  The lady and her colleague would scan items twice which inflated my bill 30%.  Once I paid, I asked for the receipt and then went line item by line item with them pulling the items out of my bag showing all of the things they overcharged me on.  I got a "sorry sir" but it was clearly done on purpose.  

In the hotel I just waited for the test results which came almost exactly 24 hours from taking the test.  I forwarded the email to the front desk and they printed out my certification that I was negative.  I was then basically free to do whatever.

Just FYI, the flight on PAL from NYC to Manila was jam packed.  Not a seat was available.  They have reduced this route to one flight a week.  It was 17 hours sitting in a petri dish of potential disease.  Face masks and shields required at all times.  The PAL employees made the flight as comfortable as possible.  They actually did a fine job given the circumstances.  

Ive been just going into the office each day but in a separate room and not around the rest of the people just in case I develop symptoms later on.  There is a reason why tourists are not allowed at this time.  All hotels only cater to quarantining.  Ive talked to some Airbnb owners to get the latest scoop and some buildings will rent short term, but many buildings have a requirement of 6 months or more lease required.  If a building allows short term rentals, a COVID test within 72 hours is needed.  For transportation within the city, grab is available, taxis, some jeepneys and buses.  Provincial travel is nearly impossible and travel permits are needed from multiple government agencies.  Renting a car will help get around some of the nonsense.  

Many restaurants, convenience stores, etc etc are closed or out of business.  However there is no shortage of places to eat, etc.  Masks must be wore at all times outside and in malls masks and face shields are required.  I cant complain too much on that.  They do a pretty good job and are concerned for the safety of others.  You actually get the feeling people are looking out for each other, unlike in the US where the pandemic has become a sad comedy.  Where I have the problem on requirements is on inter-province travel and not allowing children outside.  You really see NO children and in the Philippines with one of the youngest average ages in the world, its a strange feeling to not hear them running around.  Inter provincial travel would be OK if you could show a recent negative COVID test but for me to see my son, I would need to spend 2 weeks in an elementary school as my quarantine center.  I have heard the conditions are atrocious.  I have plans to meet my son in the middle of the sea in a few weeks since its easier to get him there and bring him with me.  

Thank you for sharing your experience. I believe you didn't have any problems with immigration? That's nice to hear!

So you need to choose among the listed facilities that they provided right? So if I understand correctly, once the results come back as negative, you can do what you need to do. But I have the same dilemma with the interprovincial travel. My aunt was planning to take the ticket that already has the connecting flight from Manila to Mindanao, usually just a few hrs of wait. But here is what's confusing, what would my aunt show them as her quarantine facility? They didn't even publish an out-of-Manila list. 

The best thing to probably do is NOT get a connecting flight? 

6 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

I arrived on my flight the morning of November 29th around 7am.  We sat on the plane for about 45 minutes for an explanation by the Coast Guard on the procedure when we got off.  It was actually information overload if you had not read or prepared before the flight as there are alot of steps.  I had prepaid for my COVID test with the Philippine Red Cross the day before the flight from NYC.  

After filling out a bunch of forms on the plane, you then disembark and go to a waiting area for the COVID test.  I actually went to the wrong area but there were no signs.  I waited about 30 minutes for my COVID test until I showed someone my QR code and they told me I had to go another gate.  So if you do arrive with a prepaid COVID test, do not follow the masses (98% of the plane).  Go to the Red Cross area (someone will direct you) and you will get your test within 5 minutes.

After this part you go to Immigration.  After Immigration is baggage collection which by this time its already waiting for you.  You then need to have the Affidavit sheet checked multiple times and someone will double check your pre-booked accommodation that it is on the list.  Then you will get your transportation to your hotel from a separate booth.  I took the yellow taxi option and was already expecting problems.  Once all this is done, a Coast guard guy will take your affidavit and then your free to leave the terminal.  You can exchange money outside the door if you need or get a sim card.

Taking Grab is not an option and I already knew the taxis were going to give me problems.  As soon as I got in the "metered" yellow airport taxi, the guy asked for the slip of paper thats given at the taxi booth.  Never give them this paper.  They only want it so when you have problems you dont have the number to complain.  Yellow taxi meters start at 70p and before we had gone 100 meters, my meter was well over 100p.  I told the guy to turn off the meter and that I was giving him 250p.  I didnt get any pushback.  My quarantine hotel is walking distance to my condo so I know the rates down to the peso.  

Once at the hotel, you check in and they gave me the option to run over to 7-11 to buy anything I may need as that would be my only chance to go outside my room until my test results arrived.  I loaded up at the 7-11 and was proceeded to be overcharged on multiple items.  The lady and her colleague would scan items twice which inflated my bill 30%.  Once I paid, I asked for the receipt and then went line item by line item with them pulling the items out of my bag showing all of the things they overcharged me on.  I got a "sorry sir" but it was clearly done on purpose.  

In the hotel I just waited for the test results which came almost exactly 24 hours from taking the test.  I forwarded the email to the front desk and they printed out my certification that I was negative.  I was then basically free to do whatever.

Just FYI, the flight on PAL from NYC to Manila was jam packed.  Not a seat was available.  They have reduced this route to one flight a week.  It was 17 hours sitting in a petri dish of potential disease.  Face masks and shields required at all times.  The PAL employees made the flight as comfortable as possible.  They actually did a fine job given the circumstances.  

Ive been just going into the office each day but in a separate room and not around the rest of the people just in case I develop symptoms later on.  There is a reason why tourists are not allowed at this time.  All hotels only cater to quarantining.  Ive talked to some Airbnb owners to get the latest scoop and some buildings will rent short term, but many buildings have a requirement of 6 months or more lease required.  If a building allows short term rentals, a COVID test within 72 hours is needed.  For transportation within the city, grab is available, taxis, some jeepneys and buses.  Provincial travel is nearly impossible and travel permits are needed from multiple government agencies.  Renting a car will help get around some of the nonsense.  

Many restaurants, convenience stores, etc etc are closed or out of business.  However there is no shortage of places to eat, etc.  Masks must be wore at all times outside and in malls masks and face shields are required.  I cant complain too much on that.  They do a pretty good job and are concerned for the safety of others.  You actually get the feeling people are looking out for each other, unlike in the US where the pandemic has become a sad comedy.  Where I have the problem on requirements is on inter-province travel and not allowing children outside.  You really see NO children and in the Philippines with one of the youngest average ages in the world, its a strange feeling to not hear them running around.  Inter provincial travel would be OK if you could show a recent negative COVID test but for me to see my son, I would need to spend 2 weeks in an elementary school as my quarantine center.  I have heard the conditions are atrocious.  I have plans to meet my son in the middle of the sea in a few weeks since its easier to get him there and bring him with me.  

Great Write up

5 hours ago, Don0 said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I believe you didn't have any problems with immigration? That's nice to hear!

So you need to choose among the listed facilities that they provided right? So if I understand correctly, once the results come back as negative, you can do what you need to do. But I have the same dilemma with the interprovincial travel. My aunt was planning to take the ticket that already has the connecting flight from Manila to Mindanao, usually just a few hrs of wait. But here is what's confusing, what would my aunt show them as her quarantine facility? They didn't even publish an out-of-Manila list. 

If you fly into NAIA youll be doing your quarantine in Manila.  There are no exceptions to it.  PAL mentions on the flight that if you have connecting flights with them, after your quarantine you will then get in touch with them to fly to the province.  However your family needs to check what are the local province restrictions as they are all different between the provinces.  Only once you have a negative test, then can you get out of your hotel.  Even with the negative test, you may still need to quarantine in a government facility for 2 weeks in the province.  

For the list of hotels, someone has provided that link.  There are 500-600 on that list, but ALL hotels in Manila are only for quarantining. 

Travel is a huge hassle and it is not convenient here.  I tried to delay my return as much as possible but it came to the point where I just had to get back.  Make sure your aunt really wants to get back AND has the time needed to do all the quarantining etc.  

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

5 hours ago, Don0 said:

For immigration, it was not a hassle.  I gave my passport with the visa in it, m sons PSA birth certificate and his Philippines passport.  Immigration only ask for the PSA BC, but I gave the passport to smooth the process in case there were any questions.  It was a quick process.

All people during this process at the airport are extremely helpful.  If you dont know how to proceed on a step, there are plenty of people to help you.  The airport was a pleasant experience.  Stepping out of the airport into the shark tank, was not. :)

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

37 minutes ago, flicks1998 said:

Only once you have a negative test, then can you get out of your hotel. 

How are they making a person stay inside your hotel?

This is I don't get?  Can you get stuff like pizza delivered and/or food to your room?

Are you literally locked in your room or inside the premise of the hotel?

1 hour ago, Allovertheworld said:

How are they making a person stay inside your hotel?

This is I don't get?  Can you get stuff like pizza delivered and/or food to your room?

Are you literally locked in your room or inside the premise of the hotel?

While waiting for your test results, you cannot leave your room.  They deliver meals a few times a day and set it on a chair outside the room.  You cannot go outside, it is not possible unless they already know you have your negative result.  In fact after I got my test results, I went out to eat and walk around, came back a few hours later after a shift change and was chased down in the hotel as the new shift didnt realize I already had my results.  If you leave your room before the results, its a 10,000p fine plus you need to redo a PCR test and start the clock over.  You actually get this warning from the Coast Guard on the plane before you disembark and the hotel also reminds you.  The Coast Guard is in the lobby of every hotel and it looks like a few government health employees.  

At the hotel I was at, they did not allow food delivery.  Its why they let me go to 7-11 before I went into my quarantine.  I bought a bunch of food and drinks.  

You are locked in your room, literally :)  But i stayed 3 nights so after the 1st night i had my results then I was free to go wherever.

I checked out this morning.  There was an ambulance parked out front.  Which I believe someone at the hotel has tested positive and they are now carted off to the detention center or hospital.  This is even if you have no symptoms.  Thats why I did a PCR test just before I left the US and as I was waiting to do my test at NAIA, my US PCR results came in.  I had this as a backup as I didnt want a false positive in the Philippines.  If I got a false positive, I was going to beg to stay a few more days in the hotel room, take another test but show my negative test in the US to hope I couldnt be carted away.  I doubt it would have worked but it was my backup plan for a false positive.

Edited by flicks1998

6 hours ago, flicks1998 said:

While waiting for your test results, you cannot leave your room.  They deliver meals a few times a day and set it on a chair outside the room.  You cannot go outside, it is not possible unless they already know you have your negative result.  In fact after I got my test results, I went out to eat and walk around, came back a few hours later after a shift change and was chased down in the hotel as the new shift didnt realize I already had my results.  If you leave your room before the results, its a 10,000p fine plus you need to redo a PCR test and start the clock over.  You actually get this warning from the Coast Guard on the plane before you disembark and the hotel also reminds you.  The Coast Guard is in the lobby of every hotel and it looks like a few government health employees.  

At the hotel I was at, they did not allow food delivery.  Its why they let me go to 7-11 before I went into my quarantine.  I bought a bunch of food and drinks.  

You are locked in your room, literally :)  But i stayed 3 nights so after the 1st night i had my results then I was free to go wherever.

I checked out this morning.  There was an ambulance parked out front.  Which I believe someone at the hotel has tested positive and they are now carted off to the detention center or hospital.  This is even if you have no symptoms.  Thats why I did a PCR test just before I left the US and as I was waiting to do my test at NAIA, my US PCR results came in.  I had this as a backup as I didnt want a false positive in the Philippines.  If I got a false positive, I was going to beg to stay a few more days in the hotel room, take another test but show my negative test in the US to hope I couldnt be carted away.  I doubt it would have worked but it was my backup plan for a false positive.

Wow

Sounds insane over there.  Not a place this freedom loving American has any desire to visit at the moment.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Looking for a hotel to stay in after arriving in Manila, during quarantine. Somewhere close to the airport. 

Got everything else ready to send to the Philippine Embassy in Washington for 9a visa approval except hotel.

@flicks1998 Where did you stay. 

Since the only things you give the Embassy that are date specific are the flight and hotel stays. Are you locked in to those exact dates.

5 hours ago, AlaMike said:

Looking for a hotel to stay in after arriving in Manila, during quarantine. Somewhere close to the airport. 

Got everything else ready to send to the Philippine Embassy in Washington for 9a visa approval except hotel.

@flicks1998 Where did you stay. 

Since the only things you give the Embassy that are date specific are the flight and hotel stays. Are you locked in to those exact dates.

I stayed at St Giles Hotel in Makati just because its walking distance to my condo.  You can stay around the airport, but just make sure your hotel is one listed in the approved hotel list.  They check this before you leave the airport and these hotels are specifically set up to handle quarantine periods of arriving passengers.  I wouldnt recommend St Giles though, I read reviews they had fast internet but thats not the case and was the most important thing I needed.  I did a speedtest and they only get 1-2 Mbps.  I couldnt even do my video conferences for work.  

When I applied for the visa, I had a booking on Agoda at a different hotel, but after I got the visa, I saw a better deal so I cancelled the original booking and booked a new place (St Giles).  You can do this, its no problem as long as its an approved hotel.  Agoda is probably one of the best places to book now as they allow you to cancel your booking for free, usually right up to 1-3 days before you arrive.

Also for your visa, the 90 day single entry visa you are given, the clock starts the day they print it.  My visa started on October 30th but I did not arrive until November 29th making the visa good for about 2 months.  Either way, your entry is only good for 59 days, then an extension would be required.  (same as pre-COVID days). 

Edited by flicks1998

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.