ljujas2019

Travelling for more than 6 months

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi everyone! 

Due to the difficulties of immigrating (CR-1 status, green card holder) to the US right before the pandemic broke out this year, I had to go back to my home country temporarily, to take care of my family and because of heightened stress levels. I needed to go back home to feel okay again. Now, I'm back in the US, after 5,5-6 months. I have basically been unemployed since January and haven't been able to accomplish any of the goals I set for myself at the beginning of the year, which is very disappointing.

My spouse and I are considering travelling together to my home country, for 2 weeks-1 month, if I am unable to get a job and start working in the US soon. My partner is very supportive and knows how hard the pandemic has been for me as an immigrant and how all my plans have been delayed. Given this background, I wanted to ask for your advice. Can I travel outside of the US for, let's say, a month, in February 2021, even though I was travelling outside of the US between May 11-October 31, 2020? How does the 6 month residence/travelling rule work? Do I have to wait 6 more months to travel again? How are days counted toward residence? Will I lose my green card if I travel again soon? Some people say that you can travel out of the country for one year with a green card and without any special re-entry permits; others claim that one can only travel for 6 months per year. What is accurate here? 

Sorry for all the overwhelming questions! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Travelling fro 2 weeks to 1 month will not be an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am sorry I don't have an answer to your actual question, but I feel for you. I've been here close to two years now, and I have struggled enormously with finding a decent job--especially one taking into account my disability. Before moving from Sweden, I thought I would easily get a job with my professional background. Of course then Covid pretty much decimated any jobs in my line of expertise and I have been unemployed since March, now finally back to work with a seasonal job that's supposed to last until Christmas.

Are you good with languages? Have you considered doing something like translation work online? I am doing some 1099 tasks whenever I can find them. $50-200 a month is better than nothing.

My spouse has been extremely supportive, too, as the way things stand, I couldn't pay our rent for a single month, let alone food, insurances and what have you on top with that with my current earnings. Makes me miss Scandinavian job security at times...

Anyway, while others can hopefully provide useful input on your question, keep in mind that if you are going apply for naturalization in the future, to my understanding you can't count the long periods spent abroad into your three year minimum period of residence.

Getting there, slowly but surely...  (I hope )

Together (well...mostly the Transatlanticism kind of together) Since 12/2013

CR-1:

Married in Sweden 8/2017
(Well Frontloaded) I-130 Sent 12/2017
CR-1 Approved 10/2018
POE LAX 01/11/2019

I-751:

I-751 Package Sent with UPS 11/11/2020
I-751 Received by the AZ Lockbox 11/13/2020
I-751 Check Cashed 12/31/2020
I-797 (with My Last Name Misspelled...) Received by Mail 1/2/2021

Biometrics Appointment Received by Mail...too bad I am in Europe right when it's supposed to take place 🤯 6/14/2021

Rescheduled Biometrics Appointment, the biometric technician can't change the misspelled name on file, but he enters the correct spelling of my last name as an alias 8/2/2021

Interview Ready to Be Scheduled 10/13/2021

(Two Days Later) Interview Was Scheduled 😱 10/15/2021

I-751 Interview, Petition Approved 🥳 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to New Card Is Being Produced 11/19/2021

Case Status Changed to Case Was Approved 11/22/2021

Green Card Arrived in the Mail (Name Correctly Spelling, w00t) 11/27/2021

When USCIS Misspells Your Name:

Typographical error form filled on USCIS website 1/4/2021
Contacted USCIS if there has been any progress since THEIR error (Received a Tier 1 tracking number) 2/6/2021
Contacted USCIS again as the issue remains to be resolved (Received ANOTHER Tier 1 tracking number) 3/12/2021
Apparently USCIS chat is worthless; CALLED USCIS, Tier 1 agent promised that a Tier 2 agent would call me 4/28/2021
Received a call from a nice Tier 2 officer who said I may or may not get a correct extension letter, but just in case I would be scheduled an InfoPASS appointment 5/4/2021
Went to local USCIS service center and had to deal with a nasty and entitled customer service agent who refused to give me an I-551 stamp. National Benefits Center is supposed to mail me another I-797 within 7-10 days... So I had to waste my day, taking buses for two hours one-way just to deal with this lady's attitude? 5/7/2021

After anxiously monitoring our mailbox for a few days I DID receive a corrected I-797, w00t! All documents good to go Vaccinated Ready to visit my parents in Europe for the first time in 17 months!!  5/13/2021

The lesson: Don't use the chat for anything complicated, AND keep hassling USCIS for a response...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You can be away from the US for uo to.a year. Over a year will require a re-entry permit before you travel (that is, applied for while in the US).

In your case - 6 months away and then a then a few weeks away will not be an issue, especially with you being in the US a few months in-between.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Working & Traveling During US Immigration forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.