NEW CITIZEN

Expedited PP puts us in back??

16 posts in this topic

Timeline

I received my passport in 6 weeks, applied late July.

So I had my son apply mid August, its been 9 weeks.

I guess Im venting hearing that they allowed expedited passports a couple weeks ago,

and expedited passports are arriving in a week!!!!

Are they just holding his application, and just doing expedited???

Too late to call and spend the $60, as it might just get approved in the next few days, I hope!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

In order to expedite a passport, you have to usually go to a actual passport facility ( there are about 7 spread around the US) and show proof you are actually traveling within X number of days by showing a flight itinerary or some other legit reason to expedite your passport. There are some places that say passport in 24 hours, etc. And while that is possible, it is exorbitantly expensive in my opinion. I usually wait 3-4 weeks when I renew my passport, I am going to do it around April of next year, but yeah, I'm wondering how long it will take come then. If it is your first passport it usually takes a little longer than a renewal. And I have found if you fill out the application online and use their online form that creates a special barcode on your application, they they seem to process those a lot faster because it's less manual entry, they just scan the barcode and go. I've heard the manual entry applications get shuffled to the bottom of the stack more than the scannable ones, but that's more than likely just a rumour, but who knows. 

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

In order to expedite a passport, you have to usually go to a actual passport facility ( there are about 7 spread around the US) and show proof you are actually traveling within X number of days by showing a flight itinerary or some other legit reason to expedite your passport. There are some places that say passport in 24 hours, etc. And while that is possible, it is exorbitantly expensive in my opinion. I usually wait 3-4 weeks when I renew my passport, I am going to do it around April of next year, but yeah, I'm wondering how long it will take come then. If it is your first passport it usually takes a little longer than a renewal. And I have found if you fill out the application online and use their online form that creates a special barcode on your application, they they seem to process those a lot faster because it's less manual entry, they just scan the barcode and go. I've heard the manual entry applications get shuffled to the bottom of the stack more than the scannable ones, but that's more than likely just a rumour, but who knows. 

Obviously, you didn't even read my post. 

It was about the expedited passports that became available a couple of weeks ago.

No you don't need to prove a flight, just pay the $60, no you don't need to go to a facility, the USPS

will handle it.

FIY there are 26 facilities for "emergency passports"

Please educate yourself.

See above, mine took 6 weeks, my son's is taking far longer. Yes, it was filled out online, yes I

helped him fill it out the same way as mine.

My question was, do you think they are overdoing the expedited in favor of the non expedited in the system.

Im seeing expedited being received in 1 week, not the 4 to 6 as stated.

Edited by NEW CITIZEN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I believe OP is referencing expedited processing which is now available with processing time of 4-6 weeks.  Regular processing is 10-12 weeks.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

It was about the expedited passports that became available a couple of weeks ago.

No you don't need to prove a flight, just pay the $60, no you don't need to go to a facility, the USPS

will handle it.

Please educate yourself.

See above, mine took 6 weeks, my son's is taking far longer. Yes, it was filled out online, yes I

My question was, do you think they are overdoing the expedited in favor of the non expedited in the system.

We are waiting 4 weeks already for regular processing.  Expedited processing became available 4 hours after we submitted the passport application.  Regular processing was actually occurring in 2 -4 weeks at the Miami office but since expedited processing became available, it seems regular processing is taking longer.  

Edited by gregcrs2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
23 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

will handle it.

Please educate yourself.

Oh, nice they have the new expedite passport option. Then yes, to answer your question, whoever paid the extra 60 bucks gets moved to the front of the line. Makes sense to me. Like at the amusement parks, pay an extra 30-50 bucks at the park entrance, get a line pass to cut to the front of the line. You didn't pay the 60, expect a 12 week wait.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

13 hours ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

will handle it.

Please educate yourself.

Sorry to hear that it's taking long time.

Yesterday, I also saw the option of expedited (3-4 weeks on the website) is available without the need to show the airplane ticket. It's likely they put the priority on the expedited ones over the normal ones since it's higher price. I chose the expedited option yesterday, and will be applying at a local USPS office this week. 

Edited by BBlueB

Timeline
49 minutes ago, BBlueB said:

Sorry to hear that it's taking long time.

Yesterday, I also saw the option of expedited (3-4 weeks on the website) is available without the need to show the airplane ticket. It's likely they put the priority on the expedited ones over the normal ones since it's higher price. I chose the expedited option yesterday, and will be applying at a local USPS office this week. 

link?  I still see 4-6 weeks. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.