jlachine

Accelerated Track to Citizenship

26 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, JFH said:

Serving in the military is one way and there are also ways to be expedited if you are terminally ill but you have to be eligible first before that expedite works. 

Why do you think your wife should receive citizenship before she is normally eligible? 

dont you need citizenship to serve in the military ?

duh

8 hours ago, bobjennyhitched said:

I don't believe you can expedite it under normal circumstances. I'd loved to as being a Green Card holder (temporarily) holds back my career as a Broker but I have to wait the 3 years on the GC as I'm married to a US Citizen.

Why do you need to accelerate it? 

what kind of broker service needs US citizenship that green card holders cannot get ?

duh

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
16 minutes ago, James120383 said:

How to Join the US Military

Nope. The military is open to non-citizens

mil.png

12 hours ago, James120383 said:

LPRs can enlist:

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/08/26/judge-strikes-down-minimum-service-requirement-troops-applying-us-citizenship.html "Congress has long recognized that immigrants who serve in the military during wartime are entitled to be Americans ... We're pleased that our clients and thousands of others like them can finally benefit from the expedited path to citizenship they have rightfully earned through their honorable military service"

https://www.uscis.gov/military/naturalization-through-military-service "Service During Periods of Hostility" ... "Sept. 11, 2001 – present"

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1440&num=0&edition=prelim

191113-QV384-002-web.jpg

"The Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services office officiated a naturalization ceremony for 19 Soldiers and one Army family member at the Army Community Service building at Fort Bliss, Texas, Nov. 13, 2019."

Also note that certain spouses can naturalize before ROC window and thus completely skip ROC:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4 "Spouses of U.S. citizens who are regularly stationed abroad under qualifying employment may be eligible to file for naturalization immediately after obtaining LPR status in the United States. Such spouses are not required to have any prior period of residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States in order to qualify for naturalization."

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1430&num=0&edition=prelim

Edited by HRQX

On 10/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, James120383 said:

what kind of broker service needs US citizenship that green card holders cannot get ?

Customs Broker, it's my speciality from where I'm from. As I'm not a US citizens yet, we aren't allowed to apply for this or take the examination.

As noted in Title 19 of the Code of Federal Regulations part 111.13(b) (19 CFR 111.13(b)), in order to be eligible to take the broker examination, an individual must (on the date of the examination) be a U.S. citizen, must be 18 years of age, and must not be an officer or employee of the U.S. Government.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-administration/customs-brokers/license-examination-notice-examination#:~:text=As noted in Title 19,employee of the U.S. Government.

wpid-1030ldr.gif

On 10/30/2020 at 3:48 PM, James120383 said:

Depending on the career choice within the military, some fields require you to be a Citizen and other fields Green Card is sufficient. I am currently in the process of enlisting in the military and the career field I chose is Law Enforcement and that requires me to be a US Citizen

Timeline
On 10/31/2020 at 1:41 AM, HRQX said:

191113-QV384-002-web.jpg

"The Department of Homeland Security Citizenship and Immigration Services office officiated a naturalization ceremony for 19 Soldiers and one Army family member at the Army Community Service building at Fort Bliss, Texas, Nov. 13, 2019."

Wearing a BDU, not dress uniform to a swearing in ceremony???

Thank you all for your engagement and support.

Great to know hiring a lawyer won't help anything, and to make sure she must file for the I-751 package to remove conditions before the expiration of her Green Card. Interesting notes about the military.

My wife is Swedish, and I am now, too, after having lived in Sweden together for years. In Sweden it was the same-- 3 years before I could apply for citizenship there, and another 1 or 2 in processing.

My wife was lucky enough to find a job here just two months after arriving. She works for a real estate company now. So not military- but we are still waiting for her Green Card. She entered the country June 24th, and we still have not received it yet. I called USCIS today and filed a claim. He said after they see the claim, they should issue her her green card.

Does anyone know if the 3 years LPR begins from the date of entry into US, the date the Green Card is issued, or-- and I'm being overly optimistic here-- the date we initially applied for her I-130?

8 minutes ago, jlachine said:

Great to know hiring a lawyer won't help anything, and to make sure she must file for the I-751 package to remove conditions before the expiration of her Green Card. Interesting notes about the military.

My wife is Swedish, and I am now, too, after having lived in Sweden together for years. In Sweden it was the same-- 3 years before I could apply for citizenship there, and another 1 or 2 in processing.

My wife was lucky enough to find a job here just two months after arriving. She works for a real estate company now. So not military- but we are still waiting for her Green Card. She entered the country June 24th, and we still have not received it yet. I called USCIS today and filed a claim. He said after they see the claim, they should issue her her green card.

Does anyone know if the 3 years LPR begins from the date of entry into US, the date the Green Card is issued, or-- and I'm being overly optimistic here-- the date we initially applied for her I-130?

It starts the day she gets her LPR status. If she entered on an immigrant visa, it's the day of entry. You can also see the date on her green card - it says resident since. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 hours ago, jlachine said:

Everything from here on out is based on the "Resident Since" date on her green card. Since she entered on a IR-1/CR-1 it should be the date of entry, no matter how long it takes for the card to show up. Double check that the date is correct once she receives her green card.

You mentioned living together in Sweden before, but I don't see that you actually said what type of visa she entered on. Were you legally married longer than two years prior to her date of entry? If so she will have a full 10 year green card and there's no need to file the I-751 as there are no conditions on her residency.

This doesn't change the 3 year residence requirement for citizenship, but it does remove one hurdle.

Either way, she can file for citizenship 3 years minus 90 days after her Resident Since date. The processing time varies wildly depending on your processing office -- the only advice I can give on expediting it is to move somewhere out in the middle of nowhere served by a USCIS office that has a low caseload and low waiting times :) (I say this half jokingly -- but keep in mind you must have lived in the state where you're filing for citizenship from for 90 days prior to filing.)

September 2014 - Met

October 2014 - Started dating

May 2015 - Engaged!

July 18, 2015 - Mailed I-129F petition

July 21, 2015 - Received by USCIS lockbox

July 23, 2015 - Email/Text notification, NOA1 Notice Date - July 27, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA1

August 6, 2015 - NOA2, I-129F petition approved!

August 7, 2015 - Email notification of approval

August 12, 2015 - Hardcopy NOA2

September 3, 2015 - Case # received from NVC, case sent to Montreal

September 15, 2015 - CEAC status updated

September 15, 2015 3:41 PM - Packet 3 sent to consulate pre-emptively

September 15, 2015 3:51 PM - Packet 4 received! Interview scheduled!

November 23, 2015 - Interview - APPROVED!!

November 30, 2015 - CEAC status updated to Issued

December 3, 2015 - Ready for Pickup at Post Office

December 9, 2015 - Visa in hand!

January 10, 2016 - POE - Peace Bridge, Buffalo NY

January 23, 2016 - MARRIED! durring a blizzard in Brooklyn :)

February 5, 2016 - Mailed AOS/AP/EAD applications

Spoiler

February 15, 2016 - NOA1 texts/emails received - February 25, 2016 - NOA1 hardcopies (Notice Date: Feb 11)

March 9, 2016 - Biometrics

April 18, 2016 - EAD/AP Approved

July 15, 2016 - I-485 Approved! No interview

July 29, 2016 - Green card received in mail - Done with USCIS for 1 year 9 months!

April 25, 2018 - Mailed I-751 Removal of Conditions

Spoiler

May 18, 2018 - Received NOA1/12mo GC extension

June 20, 2018 - Biometrics

August 6, 2018 - Received 18mo GC extension

April 29, 2019 - Text notification "Card is in production"

May 2, 2019 - "We mailed your new card"

May 6, 2019 - 10 year GC received!

November 1, 2019 - N-400 filed online

October 23, 2020 - Oath Ceremony. Our journey is done after 5 years, 3 months and 5 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.