Mommango

IR-2 INTERVIEW FOR MINOR CHILD BUT PASSPORT IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE IN 3 MONTHS

19 posts in this topic

Dear All,

Hi I am new here, I am kinda desperate to have an answer for my minor child, he has an IR-2 immigrant visa interview this coming Friday, October 23,2020 at the US embassy Manila. 

However, his visa will expire in January 7, 2021. My mom did renew my son's passport on the 12th of October 2020 and requested to expedite, but to date, January 20, they have yet to receive any email from DFA Aseana that his renewed passport is ready. I don't know what to do. 

Has anyone here experience this? Pls I need some advise. Would this be a reason for my minor child (he is 16 yrs old) to not be given a us immigrant visa?

Can you please clarify some details so people can help you better?

If he has an IR-2 immigrant visa interview on October 23, 2020, then what kind of visa is expiring on January 7, 2021?

If your son does not have a valid passport right now, then logically there is no place for the Embassy to put the visa sticker.

If he has an IR-2 immigrant visa interview on October 23, 2020, then what kind of visa is expiring on January 7, 2021?---Hi sorry about that, his passport will be expired in January 2021. But they actually applied for renewal already at DFA Manila last 12th of October and requested to expedite but unfortunately there is action yet from DFA in regards to that request. 

I

4 hours ago, Mommango said:

If he has an IR-2 immigrant visa interview on October 23, 2020, then what kind of visa is expiring on January 7, 2021?---Hi sorry about that, his passport will be expired in January 2021. But they actually applied for renewal already at DFA Manila last 12th of October and requested to expedite but unfortunately there is action yet from DFA in regards to that request. 

I

That does make it clearer. 

I assume DFA punched holes in the passport that will expire in January 2021. So your son doesn't have any valid passport right now, until DFA delivers the new one. 

So the expedited passport renewal was on Oct. 12,  which is 9 working days away from the interview date on Friday, Oct. 23.

Sorry to say that it doesn't seem likely that your son will get the passport on time. Either you need to reschedule the interview, or he shows up and explains what happened. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Your son's immigration visa would expire when his passport expires.  

At his visa interview, he can ask for the US Embassy to wait and issue his visa in his new passport when he receives it.  

It's highly unlikely that the US Embassy would not issue a visa to your child.  There may be many reasons for a delay because of paperwork is incomplete or the need for a Joint Sponsor.  Don't worry about this if you are confident about the paperwork you submitted.  

Best of luck.  

11 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

At his visa interview, he can ask for the US Embassy to wait and issue his visa in his new passport when he receives it.  

That's assuming they'll even let him interview.  The US embassy in Manila has document screeners that act like gatekeepers prior to the interview.  If the applicant shows up without all the required documents, there's a chance the screeners will turn the applicant away.  A passport with 6 months validity is a requirement for the interview.

Ok, deep breath.

Take a copy of the passport receipt to the interview if the new passport hasn't been issued in time.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

@Mommango your son's interview is tomorrow, so yes, if he doesn't get the new passport by today, best is for him to show up tomorrow with the proof that his passport is being renewed, like @Paul & Mary said.

Hopefully, the staff will allow him to proceed. But there's no guarantee because he's missing one of the basic requirements for the interview.

Even if DFA didn't punch holes in the current passport that expires in Jan 2021, it's no longer valid for the visa/future travel.

In any case, please relax, this is only a speedbump :) Worst case scenario, you'll have to reschdule the interview.

Hi All, thank you for the support it means a lot to me. I am beyond grateful to all of you. My son went to US Embassy today for his interview and I was worried about his passport, they didn't ask about the passport expiration but the Interviewer at the final Window (he went to 3 windows, I think window one was to checked in, window 2 -screened his docs and all were good, then the last window the actual interview. My son was asked for Original docs like his birth certificate,DS-260,his NBI clearance and my marriage cerificate ( I got my US citizenship through marriage). HE got everything original except for one thing, my Original Marriage certificate :(

Because of that he didn't get approve but refused and asked his to send my original's marriage certificate :( :(

I attached herewith the letter from the embassy so at least if someone or anyone came across with the same scenario this would help them.

Also I would like to ask for help in regards to the 2GO drop off branch and where to find them :(

Again thank you all so much for your support. 

I am really tired and stress with these whole immigration process.  

embassy needed.jpg

you can send a certified copy of your US marriage certificate - if you were married there - to the consulate.   Get an extra copy and send it to your son as well.

Did they keep his passport?

Edited by Paul & Mary

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Hi @Paul & Mary per the letter given to my son by us embassy, he should send his passport together with the original marriage certificate or certified true copy of my US marriage certificate. 
Thank you so much for your help,it means a lot. I kinda cried and feel so sad because I havent  seen my son physically for more than 4 yrs( the last time I saw him was 2016),I got very ill in 2018 and 2019 that’s why I didn’t go back to Philippines.I was planning to go back this year but covid19 hit so I couldn’t go back again 😞 

23 minutes ago, Mommango said:

Hi @Paul & Mary per the letter given to my son by us embassy, he should send his passport together with the original marriage certificate or certified true copy of my US marriage certificate. 
Thank you so much for your help,it means a lot. I kinda cried and feel so sad because I havent  seen my son physically for more than 4 yrs( the last time I saw him was 2016),I got very ill in 2018 and 2019 that’s why I didn’t go back to Philippines.I was planning to go back this year but covid19 hit so I couldn’t go back again 😞 

Get the certified true copy and use DHL or fedex to send it to him.  It also looks like it should be uploaded into CEAC.  It is sounding like they will issue it with the short time remaining on it.

Will he be able to travel before the passport expires? They will put the visa in his current passport, but the visa validity will then not extend beyond the passport expiry.

https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM050410.html#M504_10_2_A

Limitation of Visa Validity to Meet Passport Validity Requirement:  If an immigrant is required to present a valid passport, you must note whether the alien’s passport is valid for at least 60 days beyond the period of validity of the visa, as required in 22 CFR 42.64(b).  Officers may limit the validity of the visa to less than six months if the passport is valid for 60 days plus a period sufficient to enable the alien travel to the United States.  If the alien is excepted from the 60-day validity requirement under 22 CFR 42.64(b), officers may limit the validity of the visa to less than six months to coincide with the validity of the passport, provided the period of time will be sufficient for the alien to travel to the United States.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.