Cilllah

I Miss Driving But I Don't Think I Can In SD..

19 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Cilllah said:

Yeah, probably! Like I said when I got here the office was closed and was only doing over the phone consultations. I didn't qualify as first time SSN had to be an in-person interview. Just bad timing with the pandemic and not much that I could do about it. I still feel lucky to be here as I managed to get my K1 interview in June when everything was closed.. It does suck though!

Noooope! So this is one thing that I am glad about. If I have to wait until after I get my EAD/AP winter will be passed. I want to get confidence up for driving in the warmer months (still a little nervous on the wrong side of the road but a lot better) before I tackle winter driving. I don't feel ready for that this upcoming winter. If I did get my SSN in July I would have had more time to prepare but as it stands I definitely won't be ready.

Look for a driving school that offers training in skid pans to get used to the ice. 

I moved to Washington state in the middle of winter and took my driving test here in deep snow. It was a baptism of fire. Now I think nothing of driving across the Cascades. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We are in Georgia but maybe SD is a bit the same. My mom doesnt drive so we applied for state ID at DMV, we were asked for 2 documents proving her residence and since she doesnt have any bills we showed mail from SSA and envelope with EAD. They never asked for SSN to issue the ID but needed something to establish a period for ID to be valid so they asked for EAD. Made a copy of that and no problem issued state ID with expiration date as EAD.

And another thing - some states allow using your foreign DL for some time, like with tourist visa for the period of stay and so on. May be something like that is possible for SD? and don`t forget to google how to include yourself into car insurance.

Shawn and Olga married in Russia May 7th 2013

IR-1 process

USCIS:

6/11/2015: Filed I-130 petition

6/13/2015: Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

6/15/2015: Petition is accepted by USCIS (California)

6/17/2015: NOA1 received via email/text

6/23/2015: NOA1 received via mail

8/18/2015: USCIS approved petition online - 63 days from NOA 1

8/22/2015: NOA2 received via mail

NVC:

9/8/2015: NVC received the case

9/22/2015: got case number and invoice number via phone

9/22/2015: submitted DS-261 Choice of agent

9/22/2015: paid AOS fee $120 - IN PROCESS

9/24/2015: AOS fee shows PAID

9/28/2015: NVC Welcome Letter is received (issued on Sept 21st)

10/1/2015: AOS package sent to NVC

10/5/2015: AOS package delivered to NVC

10/5/2015: SCAN DATE for AOS package

10/6/2015: confirmed DS-261 over the phone

10/7/2015: email from NVC - husband is chosen as agent and IV fee is invoiced

10/8/2015: paid IV fee $325 - IN PROCESS

10/8/015: IV package sent to NVC

10/10/2015: IV fee shows PAID

10/11/2015: submitted DS-260 and got confirmation

10/13/2015: IV package delivered to NVC

10/13/2015: SCAN DATE for IV package

11/24/2015: Case Complete at NVC

12/2/2015: Case Complete letter from NVC

EMBASSY:

2/10/2016: Interview scheduled for March 15th 2016 :dancing:

Medical exam scheduled on March 14th 2016

2/10/2016: Interview Letter Received (P4)

2/16/2016: CEAC shows CASE IN TRANSIT

2/18/2016: CEAC shows READY

3/14/2016: medical exam passed

3/15/2016: interview - APPROVED! Status ISSUED - Your visa has been printed.

3/17/2016: call from Pony Express - visa is delivered to my town

POE:

4/19/2016: Moscow - New York - Atlanta

On 10/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, Cilllah said:

Thanks! I called twice and they rejected me outright both times. I might call SSO for that. Wonder if that would impact anything as I ticked yes to wanting a SSN from AOS?

Ah that's a fair point. Did you also try to ask for a non-REAL ID document? That's what I did when the NY DMV said I needed a green card in order to have a drivers license and I told them I was adjusting my status.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.