Amena14

Naturalization Interview Experience

6 posts in this topic

Norfolk, Virginia

My husband attended his Naturalization Interview today.  He applied based on marriage and the 3 year-rule in December 2019.  Interview was scheduled for 09/22/2020.

He arrived at his interview and was asked questions directly from his application.  He was then asked to read a sentence in English and write the response.  Next he was ask a few government/history questions:

1) Who is the governor of your state?

2) Who was the first President?

3) What are the two major political parties in the U.S.?

4) Name one of the writers of the Federalist Papers.

5) What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?

The process took 45 minutes. He passed all without any issues; however, he was told that a decision couldn’t be made at this time.  The interviewer told him he should hear something in 3 to 4 months, but with COVID it might be longer.  If he didn’t hear anything within 6 months, to contact them.  He was told he would either be asked for additional documentation or receive notice that his naturalization was approved. 

It was a bit disappointing, as we had hoped we were finally done with this process, but it looks as if it’s another waiting game.  In the last five years, he has made 2 trips to his home country of Afghanistan to visit his family. I am wondering if that had anything to do with it or if this is a common thing?

For those that weren’t approved immediately, how long did you have to wait for your naturalization?

07/07/14: Met at work

08/01/14: Began relationship

11/04/14: Nikah performed

11/17/14: Civil Marriage

12/09/14: Mailed I-130 package

12/26/14: NOA 1 received

01/17/15: Afghan wedding with family

05/20/15 : NOA 2 received

05/23/15: Returned to US without husband :cry:

05/28/15: NVC Received

06/18/15: Welcome Letter

08/12/15: Received Offer Letter of Employment
08/13/15: Overnighted AOS/IV package

08/23/15 - 09/11/15: Meet husband for holiday after three months

09/11/15: Letter from NVC. Package sent to Embassy. Interview date received!

10/20/15: Interview. Went to Admin Processing. Asking for joint sponsor.

11/09/15: Joint Sponsor docs submitted to Embassy

11/11/15 : ceac.state.gov says "ISSUED!!"

11/15/15: VISA IN HAND!!!!

11/21/15: ARRIVED! :goofy:(L):dance:

09/14/2017:  File I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (extended 18 months)
01/24/2019: RFE received
03/18/2019: Mailed RFE
04/09/2019:  Approved
12/15/2019: N-400 Application for Naturalization filed
01/06/2020: Biometrics
09/22/2020: Interview (NOT APPROVED AT THIS TIME)

2 hours ago, Amena14 said:

Norfolk, Virginia

My husband attended his Naturalization Interview today.  He applied based on marriage and the 3 year-rule in December 2019.  Interview was scheduled for 09/22/2020.

He arrived at his interview and was asked questions directly from his application.  He was then asked to read a sentence in English and write the response.  Next he was ask a few government/history questions:

1) Who is the governor of your state?

2) Who was the first President?

3) What are the two major political parties in the U.S.?

4) Name one of the writers of the Federalist Papers.

5) What are two ways that Americans can participate in their democracy?

The process took 45 minutes. He passed all without any issues; however, he was told that a decision couldn’t be made at this time.  The interviewer told him he should hear something in 3 to 4 months, but with COVID it might be longer.  If he didn’t hear anything within 6 months, to contact them.  He was told he would either be asked for additional documentation or receive notice that his naturalization was approved. 

It was a bit disappointing, as we had hoped we were finally done with this process, but it looks as if it’s another waiting game.  In the last five years, he has made 2 trips to his home country of Afghanistan to visit his family. I am wondering if that had anything to do with it or if this is a common thing?

For those that weren’t approved immediately, how long did you have to wait for your naturalization?

I would guess that it will take them longer to check there are no issues with his travel to (and originally being from) Afghanistan.

I've been waiting over 7 months since my interview, with no end in sight.

If you're still waiting after 120 days you have the option to sue them for a decision. You can also ask your congress person and state senators for help too.

Edited by bing10

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I’m in the same situation too with the Norfolk office. I passed everything but the officer said a decision couldn’t be made because they are still waiting for my files to review them. Weird! It’s been over 20 days already. I’m still waiting to hear back. 

I got "recommended for approval" on the N400 straight away. The IO conducting that interview was also the supervisor and she told me she would start with the final part after I left (I was the last interview that day).

Now the ROC part was different. That was approved about an hour after my N400 interview. That is 6 months after my ROC interview. I also received an "decision cannot be made" piece of paper stating they had 120 days to respond after the ROC interview, they never did.

I found out that my file had a bunch of stuff gone missing since the AOS and that the orginal I-129F envelope never made it into my file until the week of my N400 interview. (that's why the original ROC IO could not recommend me).

• 8 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:14 PM, MrsBlan said:

I’m in the same situation too with the Norfolk office. I passed everything but the officer said a decision couldn’t be made because they are still waiting for my files to review them. Weird! It’s been over 20 days already. I’m still waiting to hear back. 

Just following up to see if you ever got approved?  Every time I check the website, they push it another month.  We are now 8 months past the interview and still nothing.  How about you?

On 9/23/2020 at 10:58 PM, Fr8dog said:

I got "recommended for approval" on the N400 straight away. The IO conducting that interview was also the supervisor and she told me she would start with the final part after I left (I was the last interview that day).

Now the ROC part was different. That was approved about an hour after my N400 interview. That is 6 months after my ROC interview. I also received an "decision cannot be made" piece of paper stating they had 120 days to respond after the ROC interview, they never did.

I found out that my file had a bunch of stuff gone missing since the AOS and that the orginal I-129F envelope never made it into my file until the week of my N400 interview. (that's why the original ROC IO could not recommend me).

Any luck?  We are still waiting :(

07/07/14: Met at work

08/01/14: Began relationship

11/04/14: Nikah performed

11/17/14: Civil Marriage

12/09/14: Mailed I-130 package

12/26/14: NOA 1 received

01/17/15: Afghan wedding with family

05/20/15 : NOA 2 received

05/23/15: Returned to US without husband :cry:

05/28/15: NVC Received

06/18/15: Welcome Letter

08/12/15: Received Offer Letter of Employment
08/13/15: Overnighted AOS/IV package

08/23/15 - 09/11/15: Meet husband for holiday after three months

09/11/15: Letter from NVC. Package sent to Embassy. Interview date received!

10/20/15: Interview. Went to Admin Processing. Asking for joint sponsor.

11/09/15: Joint Sponsor docs submitted to Embassy

11/11/15 : ceac.state.gov says "ISSUED!!"

11/15/15: VISA IN HAND!!!!

11/21/15: ARRIVED! :goofy:(L):dance:

09/14/2017:  File I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence (extended 18 months)
01/24/2019: RFE received
03/18/2019: Mailed RFE
04/09/2019:  Approved
12/15/2019: N-400 Application for Naturalization filed
01/06/2020: Biometrics
09/22/2020: Interview (NOT APPROVED AT THIS TIME)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
On 5/30/2021 at 10:28 PM, Amena14 said:

Just following up to see if you ever got approved?  Every time I check the website, they push it another month.  We are now 8 months past the interview and still nothing.  How about you?

Any luck?  We are still waiting :(

Hey there! I moved to the DMV in march and my case was transferred to fairfax. Shortly after, it was approved and I had my oath ceremony a few months ago. I think the norfolk office is slow but good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.