user555

Balikbayan extension

18 posts in this topic

I live in Manila and have a BB visa now, but it expires in Oct. If I extend it, does it turn into a tourist visa, or does it remain an extension of the BB visa? Do I just have my wife go with me to an immigration office and show our marriage cert, my passport, and fill out a new form? 
Any clue on the price differences for the different lengths of time? I've looked on the PH's BOI website and they only have this: 

https://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-privilege 

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide.

I was contemplating leaving the country with her again for a few days, but it appears they've temporarily stopped issuing the BB visa at the airport. 

6 minutes ago, user555 said:

I live in Manila and have a BB visa now, but it expires in Oct. If I extend it, does it turn into a tourist visa, or does it remain an extension of the BB visa? Do I just have my wife go with me to an immigration office and show our marriage cert, my passport, and fill out a new form? 
Any clue on the price differences for the different lengths of time? I've looked on the PH's BOI website and they only have this: 

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide.

I was contemplating leaving the country with her again for a few days, but it appears they've temporarily stopped issuing the BB visa at the airport. 

I would contact BI, everything is changing on a daily basis regarding BB and entering the Philippines.

My buddy went to BI last week and he has been there for 3 years on some type of visa, He is supposed to leave next month, he went to BI in Davao and said he was going to try to find a wife and the gave him 3 month extension,  at first they denied him I guess he finally talked to the right person

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, user555 said:

The BB is not a visa, it is a privilege. ;)    https://www.immigration.gov.ph/faqs/visa-inquiry/balikbayan-privilege

With that said it can be extended according to this:

Those who are admitted as Balikbayans are given an initial stay of one (1) year. They may extend their stay for another one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provided that they present their valid passport and filled out the visa extension form and submit it to the Visa Extension Section in the BI Main Office or any BI Offices nationwide. An additional requirement will be ask for Balikbayans who have stayed in the Philippines after thirty six (36) months.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

You would not be extending a BB because the BB is not a visa as Hank has pointed out.  You would be receiving a 9a visitor visa at the one year mark (the end of your BB) with a one (1), two (2) or six (6) months provision.  You are then subjected to the tourist visa rules.

Finally done.

Yes you need to get a 9A (or my favorite the SRRV).  You can't leave to Hong Kong to do a reset :)

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Yes, there is an issue with the wording. I agree that it is a privilege, but it is also a visa. Visa - "an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country." I have a BB visa (an endorsement in my passport) that shows that I can stay for 1 year. I am a participant in the Balikbayan Program which grants me the privilege to stay for 1 year, and the proof of this is a visa (a stamp in my passport).

If I fill out the visa extension form (as noted on BOI's website), what visa am I extending? I am ceasing from being a participant in the BB Program and am starting a new tourist visa. So the wording can be confusing because I am extending my stay but not my visa. My BB visa ends and they add a new stamp in my passport showing the date that I can stay until. I am starting a brand new tourist visa. 

Timeline
On 9/13/2020 at 10:22 AM, user555 said:

Yes, there is an issue with the wording. I agree that it is a privilege, but it is also a visa. Visa - "an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country." I have a BB visa (an endorsement in my passport) that shows that I can stay for 1 year. I am a participant in the Balikbayan Program which grants me the privilege to stay for 1 year, and the proof of this is a visa (a stamp in my passport).

If I fill out the visa extension form (as noted on BOI's website), what visa am I extending? I am ceasing from being a participant in the BB Program and am starting a new tourist visa. So the wording can be confusing because I am extending my stay but not my visa. My BB visa ends and they add a new stamp in my passport showing the date that I can stay until. I am starting a brand new tourist visa. 

Not really.  There are many differences between the BB stamp and a visa, sure both allow you to stay in the Philippines.  One difference being;  With a BB stamp if you've been in the Philippines for 6 months or longer you do not need the ECC before exiting (as long as you are exiting before the BB expires).  Once you switch over the BB to a visitor visa you will need the ECC before exiting.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

7 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Not really.  There are many differences between the BB stamp and a visa, sure both allow you to stay in the Philippines.  One difference being;  With a BB stamp if you've been in the Philippines for 6 months or longer you do not need the ECC before exiting (as long as you are exiting before the BB expires).  Once you switch over the BB to a visitor visa you will need the ECC before exiting.

ECC is required after 6 months.  Does the 6 months start at the beginning of the 9a or does it start from entry?

Yes, I know.  The question is slightly pedantic, but I'm curious.

Finally done.

12 minutes ago, Talako said:

Does the 6 months start at the beginning of the 9a or does it start from entry?

My presumption is that the 6 months count start is either the end of BB or or the date the visa is issued, whichever comes first.  But logic and the Philippines - eh?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
11 hours ago, Talako said:

ECC is required after 6 months.  Does the 6 months start at the beginning of the 9a or does it start from entry?

Not a clue.  Most that I know if staying longer would make a quick exit to HK or such with their wife then return and get a fresh BB stamp.   This beer virus has caused many new issues.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

15 hours ago, Talako said:

My buddy was suppose to leave June 4th, He entered on BB.  Due to Kung Flu and having issues getting an appointment at BI he was able to get a 6 month extension, however it wasn't until like mid August when he finally got his appointment and was able to extend.  As of now he is suppose to exit December 4th and suppose to get exit clearance.  

• 1 month later...

I went to immigration today and paid 1,330 P for a 1 month tourist extension. I will pick up my passport on Friday. If I did the fast lane (express lane) service, I could have gotten it within an hour, but it was an extra 1,000. I only live 2 miles away.  The middle aged female officer asked if I wanted 2 months. I said yes. She said I also had to pay for an ACR card. I told her I thought it was only after you've completed the 2 months that you would have to pay for the ACR card (when you want to extend beyond 59 days). (I've done a 59 day tourist visa before at this extension office and did not need to pay for an ACR). She said no, you have to get the ACR now because you've already stayed 1 year. I asked about just doing a 1 month extension. She said no ACR is required if you extend for 1 month, but if you extend for 2 months, an ACR is required. Not correct lady. I just went for 1 month. I think it was a military BOI because General Incompetence was there. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, user555 said:

I did a two month extension on my tourist visa and got an ACR card for a total of 6,225 pesos. The ACR was 2,415.

If you have no plans to leave soon it is slightly cheaper to get 6 month extensions.  Not much, but a bit.  Less visits to BI too.

Spouse

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Stepdaughter

Nov. 29th, 2020: I-130 submitted online, NOA 1 Nov. 30th, 2020

Dec. 9th, 2020: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

Feb. 19th, 2021: I-130 Approved 😊

Feb. 25th, 2021: Welcome letter from NVC

Mar. 9th, 2021:  Received Hard Copy NOA 2 I-797 in mail

October, 2021: One Year Postponement of Move, Visa Completion On Hold

Feb. 4th, 2022: Submitted DS 260

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.